Pump Club

thepasty

At the appropiate juncture (ie, later today (if I remember)), I'll post a pikky of my home-made safety flag.

When I started shootin', I started clays just before PSG and discovered that de rigueur was to carry one's gun muzzle up. The thing is, I had chosen my Higgins M20 pump-action as the gun "most suitable" for clays - *don't* arsk - and found a small problem: the M20 is just about the slickest pumper on the planet. They *all* (I am told) behave the same - the action will open *fully* if the gun is cocked and pointed up without the action being locked. Hence, any safety flag falls out when the gun is placed in a rack.

My solution was to make my own safety flag. I used what I had lying around (aluminium and bronze) and knocked up a spring-loaded safety flag on the lathe.

As I say, later today, I'll see if I can upload a photo. (I've been meaning to make a similarly special flag for my '1887.)

Regards,

Mark.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice bit of turning Mark

Kind of you to say so but, "nah, not really". *Simple* turning, I can do. Anything *else*, well...

If you'd like to see people do some really nice stuff, have a look on YouTube. In particular, I'm partial to watching the ClickSpring channel.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. It'd be nice if someone manufacturer these spring-operated flags in plastic; it'd save a lot of bother when pumpers are pointed up. :)

Agreed, there are some flags advertised as the best available on the four islands site, but these seem to be designed for side ejectors. Perhaps one of the serious PSG'ers would know? I was thinking along the lines of a scissor type mechanism (similar to an outside circlip spring loaded tool), scaled up to enter the chamber and hold back the bolt. This would work in bottom ejectors as well as side ejectors. I like to work in wood so I may get a nice piece of hardwood and try to whittle something up

Kind of you to say so but, "nah, not really". *Simple* turning, I can do. Anything *else*, well...

If you'd like to see people do some really nice stuff, have a look on YouTube. In particular, I'm partial to watching the ClickSpring channel.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. It'd be nice if someone manufacturer these spring-operated flags in plastic; it'd save a lot of bother when pumpers are pointed up. :)

Just plug it into the magazine, the action won't close so it cant fire.

I don't think that that would be permitted in PSG circles because, although the magazine is plugged and the action open, the gun could still have one in the chamber.

On the subject of "slack" pumpers and safety flags, in the Old Days (say, five years ago), our club was a "muzzle down" establishment - guns had to be carried and placed in a rack muzzle down. The thing is, this worked *much* better as far as flags went because, of course, the weight of the action tended to keep the flag *in*. It also meant that opening your gun bag was easier because - with mine, at least - they open butt to muzzle.

Personally, I think that muzzle down is safer than muzzle up, but who am I to question the diktats?

Shield Shooting Centre in Dorset still *is* muzzle down, by the way.

Regards,

Mark.

At the appropiate juncture (ie, later today (if I remember)), I'll post a pikky of my home-made safety flag.

When I started shootin', I started clays just before PSG and discovered that de rigueur was to carry one's gun muzzle up. The thing is, I had chosen my Higgins M20 pump-action as the gun "most suitable" for clays - *don't* arsk - and found a small problem: the M20 is just about the slickest pumper on the planet. They *all* (I am told) behave the same - the action will open *fully* if the gun is cocked and pointed up without the action being locked. Hence, any safety flag falls out when the gun is placed in a rack.

My solution was to make my own safety flag. I used what I had lying around (aluminium and bronze) and knocked up a spring-loaded safety flag on the lathe.

As I say, later today, I'll see if I can upload a photo. (I've been meaning to make a similarly special flag for my '1887.)

Regards,

Mark.

I'm sorry but I have to ask! why the Higgins for clays? do you still have it? I don't believe that I've ever seen one in the flesh.

I'm sorry but I have to ask! why the Higgins for clays?

When Dad died, I was left with several guns, including a Remington 870 WM, Ithaca M37 DSPS and the Higgins M20.

When I went to my first shoot, I broke a weld on the M37 with my eighth shot. Since the 870 WM seems a bit "posh" to me, I used the M20 thereafter in case I "ChAoSed" the WM.

Before getting rid of the guns that I wouldn't want to shoot, I shot them at a Fareham clay shoot. They included a Greener GP, a Greener SxS hammer gun and a Marlin M55 bolt-action, box-fed goose gun with 36" barrel...

do you still have it? I don't believe that I've ever seen one in the flesh.

Yep. I may give it to my cousin's nipper because I don't *use* the M20 much. The last time I took it out was because I'd broken firing pins in *both* my DSPS M37s within three weeks of each other. (On that second occasion, the M20 was my backup gun.)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I would still advise against using safety flags in the magazine - there, they do *not* indicate that the gun is safe.

Mark, that's great history you have! I can understand your passion and knowledge of your pump guns now. I think its great that you will pass on your Higgins to a young family member to keep the pump pumping! I looked it up on Wikipedia and they seem to be quality guns, made by High Standard.

I agree with your statement of not using flags in the mag. I am somewhat puzzled with the "muzzle down" in gun racks, are they padded to protect the muzzle? I am sure Shield know what they are doing, hope to visit there next year as have got the PSG bug back and will go section 1 as and when I can. Its quite interesting that there are divisions in PSG now. In my day all were equal, and course design tried to balance things out between "race guns", autos, pumps and 3 shot. The top guns back then that I recall were Ken Finkle and Ray Edmondson shooting tricked and modified 1100's although my mentor Dave Smith could hold his own with his 870. I seem to recall that we were looked down upon by the UKPSA at that time as Practical Pistol was king. Still, have some great memories of competing and course designing/RO-ing and looking forward to getting restarted in pump classification

Thanks

Roland

I looked it up on Wikipedia and they seem to be quality guns, made by High Standard.

They're nice to shoot but feel a bit heavy and, of course, mine has a "Power Pac" choke system on it. It's the only choke system that I've seen where there's a gap between the end of the barrel and the start of the choke... (The Yanks tend to not want to shoot plastic wadded loads out of these chokes in case the petals of the wad manage to unfold in the gap.)

I am somewhat puzzled with the "muzzle down" in gun racks, are they padded to protect the muzzle?

On the main ranges at Shield, we just lean our guns in their bags against the rear wall. The issue at Shield is that there is an escarpment that acts as the range backstop and it is not permitted to allow your gun to point over this backstop. Note that buck and slug are shot at Shield as well as rimfire and centrefire rifle - it's a fun place to be. :)

I seem to recall that we were looked down upon by the UKPSA at that time as Practical Pistol was king.

In don't get involved in the "politics" but there is still a bit of bad feelings towards the UKPSA. (Hence the creation of the Four Islands organisation, as I understand it.)

I'm not a *serious* PSGer - well, *obviously*, since one of my chosen guns is an 1887 clone - and don't really shoot except at the two RSC venues and Shield. I've got a ticket for Bisley but have never actually attended a shoot there. Next year, perhaps things will change.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Take a look at the Burgess video that I'm going to link to in a seperate post - *very* nice.

Edited by ChAoS