Anyone shore fish for cod ?

Go Go Gadget

Any of you lads do any shore fishing for cod? Been a good winter up here ( north east ) plenty of fish about and some nice sized ones aswell. Ive had plenty up to 7lb and some decent bags over 20lb in waight.

Started fishing fixed spool and braid aswell this season, instead of multiplier, and it seems to be much better

few pics of some of my fish from this winter

IMG-20131013-00014_zps7a4001ca.jpg

IMG-20131018-00018_zpsebd1e482.jpg

IMG-20140130-00052_zps90e85a90.jpg

2012-10-28220514.jpg

Caugt on a variety of baits, fresh worm, squid, cart, talpie, mussel, peeler

Used to fish for them in the deep inshore gullies around Eyemouth for typical 'rock codling' like the red ones in your photograph, some excellent bags there by the way. That was almost always, for me at any rate, a summer fishery May to September when there were likely to be peeler crab inshore. Never had any success with codling from the sandy beaches, always got best results in the gullies often using sliding float tackle in preference to bottom fishing.

Blackpowder

I've been Cod fishing on the Holderness coast for years.Also been using fixed spool with braid for years because I think the bite detection is so much better. I can cast plenty far enough with the fixed spool also, so that isn't an issue. But the last couple of years hasn't been brilliant, so this winter I decided to give it a miss and see what happens. Whereabouts in North Yorkshire have you been having success ?

I've been Cod fishing on the Holderness coast for years.Also been using fixed spool with braid for years because I think the bite detection is so much better. I can cast plenty far enough with the fixed spool also, so that isn't an issue. But the last couple of years hasn't been brilliant, so this winter I decided to give it a miss and see what happens. Whereabouts in North Yorkshire have you been having success ?

Skinningrove to whitby area mate

• 2 months later...

up in Montrose

cod season here was lot of fish but lot of smaller ones same as last year ....hopefully they hang round get bigger for next few years :good:

most in 1lb -3lb range ....few up to 5 ish but very little over and I personally didn't hear of anyone I know with a double this year

paul