Anybody fish for CATFISH on PW

Evening all, I'm after a bit of advice from any experienced catfish anglers. I've got a 5 day session on predator lakes Norfolk next month and due to the size of the average cat I will be using some serious end tackle. Just wondering if anyone has any favourite hooks/size, braid or other bits of kit I should be aware of.

I've been a serious carper for many years but after my first cat of 27lb from home farm fisheries I've got the catfish bug so 3k on tackle later I'm down to the nitty gritty terminal tackle end. I've seen some hooks from catmaster that look decent. Also any preference on hook shape J/circle or the like. Thanks for reading ATB 425

I would say most good quality carp hooks will do the job , your line is likely to go before they straighten .

I have never had huge cats like reside in the water your going to fish , but my best one was over 50lb and came from a very weedy / snaggy pit and was tamed on a size 10 korda kurve hook , I had numerous other fish over 30-40lb on the same .

Hi fenboy. What pound line did you use to catch the fish you've listed. I just want to make sure if I do hook a monster I've got the tackle to get it on the bank. That's some size of cats you've caught.

Do you know much about predator. The only reason were going is because I read about it on here

ATB 425

We have cats here in my local lake to 70lb I used to fish for them with big carp hooks normally size 2 extra strong fangs Hooklength wise it needs to be abrasion resistant so I was using either snakebite with the coating left on or quicksilver shock leader Used to catch them on live baits,dead baits and raw liver Now most of the lads catch them on Halibut pellets

Have a look at the Catfish Pro gear.

http://www.catfish-pro.co.uk/

Minimum .40 diameter main line

As Tony G says, Quick Silver shock leader material for hook lengths is good.

Evening all, I'm after a bit of advice from any experienced catfish anglers. I've got a 5 day session on predator lakes Norfolk next month and due to the size of the average cat I will be using some serious end tackle. Just wondering if anyone has any favourite hooks/size, braid or other bits of kit I should be aware of.

I've been a serious carper for many years but after my first cat of 27lb from home farm fisheries I've got the catfish bug so 3k on tackle later I'm down to the nitty gritty terminal tackle end. I've seen some hooks from catmaster that look decent. Also any preference on hook shape J/circle or the like. Thanks for reading ATB 425

Don’t know if its suitable for the tiddlers in this country :whistling:but I’ve fished the Elbro a good few times before it became a popular day ticket puddle and have caught many cats up to 130 lb using 35lb main line 55 KG dyneema or similar braided hook length and Mustad Big Gun hooks. On the early trips baits were natural dead fish or eel segments and not the ubiquitous halibut boilie favoured today.

I've caught a good few here too but they don't fight anywhere near the same in my opinion. :no:

Awww thats nice guys!!

It depends on your approach, if you use livebaits then 2/0, 3/0 eagle wave maratu hooks are excellent. I use big game line in 15lb or 20lb which you can buy from the states via ebay in 1 mile spools and is still way cheaper after import than getting it in the uk.

Most of my catting is done using the method and for that I use 45lb quicksilver gold hook lengths of 24" and size 4 korda wide gape carp hooks never broke or straightened one, i use 3 different sized halibut pellets and all Ill say about my method mix is....ITS FISHY!!

Rods are a personal choice, too powerful and theyll kill your back, too light and the cats will give you the run around. i use diawa dictator z in 2 3/4 tc and landed cats to 55lb on them.

1009690_10153099080945251_92472233_o.jpg

1009091_10152949913035251_243176540_o.jp

1040225_10152919745890251_1543498434_o.j

977005_10152811786290251_893880526_o.jpg

941890_10152783086605251_505594667_n.jpg

1146918_10153130205470251_565281905_o.jp

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I'll look into all the hooks and line mentioned. Hi Elvis (the catfish guru) I've just picked up my new rods this weekend. There harrison torrix 12ft te 3.25lb t/c. There meant to be stiff at the bottom but light at the top so not to bump them under the tip.

The lad I'm going with reckons 40lb main line and 60lb + hooklink, I normaly use snakeskin for carping and that's what I caught my only cat on, what size hook would you use for dead baiting, I might try live baiting if things get tough but would rather use dead baits, halibut or big boilies so there's a chance of a carp aswell. Do you use any particular style of hook i.e j-shaped, circle of wide gape.

Also where I'm going has sturgeon upto 120lbs so hook choice has to suit both if possible. Has anybody off here been to predator ?

ATB 425

P.s cracking pictures, your daughter looks chuffed to bits.

I would be wary of using 40lb line through a carp rod , if worse come to worse you need the line to go not the rod !

A good quality 15-18lb line and a well set clutch should land anything you are likely to catch.

One more tip , take spare clothes , there is little stinks worse than catfish **** !

Edited by fenboy

Like you, I've done loads of carping over the years but never fished specifically for cats.

Went to one of Simon Horton's venues in France a couple of years ago. It was scorching hot and in the middle of a drought period, so carp were doing very little. The cats loved it though and we had loads up to about 45lb. Just used a standard carp set-up - 15lb GR60 mainline, size 6 Korda hooks with either 20lb Korda N-Trap or IQ fluoro. I guess the kit was understrength for the cats you're going for but I never lost a fish, despite the margins being really weedy. We mainly used fish-based boilies over pellet.

I have a set of 3.25lb Torrix paired up with Daiwa Entohs - you won't be disappointed.

Best of luck and tight lines!

One more tip , take spare clothes , there is little stinks worse than catfish **** !

Bloody awesome bit of advice lol!! But i love smelling like catfish **** means i ve had a good night

The bit someone said about cats at night can be true esp if you are using livebaits but fish carp stylee and a lot of bait and they;l feed through the day, my best in a day last year was 19 cats

As for snakeskin, you were lucky i used to love it but got bitten off by a very large moggy, it now resides in the bottom of a lake, I use quicksilver gold, its not cheap but has never let me down

Also dont forget squid or baby octopus, deadly cat bait, as is large chunks of luncheon meat, cheese, mackerel tails hair riggedand liver....yuk!!

40lb line is too much you wont be able to cast however with a baitboat it will be fine.