Fish!

rich1985

Sorry to be picky but Bass is a name shared by many different species of fish.

how many live in british waters? anyway its nice to see the sea flounder (also a name used all over the world) and sea cod , sea plaice, my take on the sea bass is the name comes from America where lacking imagination they have decided to call all fish bass , it has then been adopted by people here mostly TV chefs and then copied by most everyone else. anyway I'm off to get some sea Pollack .......

Well, most of the Perciformes at least.

how many live in british waters? anyway its nice to see the sea flounder (also a name used all over the world) and sea cod , sea plaice, my take on the sea bass is the name comes from America where lacking imagination they have decided to call all fish bass , it has then been adopted by people here mostly TV chefs and then copied by most everyone else. anyway I'm off to get some sea Pollack .......

Nice haul, i used to set nets as a kid in somerset it was all mullet every tide. I caught a baby tope shark once. Remember going conger fishing and catching a 6ft conger tasted rank so does shark come to think about it! I used to sell the mullet to the holiday makers for spending money lol, the good old times

I miss that holiday home think i need a word with my folks for selling it on. It was on the beach itself and at high tide i could fish from the sliding door!

Atb adam

What mesh size was the net you was offered? I don't know what the by laws regards mesh size is where you live. It's worth checking though! I would say you would be safe with 100mm mesh though. My nets vary on length but they are generally about 100 yards in length and about 7 to 10 feet deep. If you go on eBay and search rigged gill net you will find several but you want the nets from a bloke in Bungay in Suffolk and you want a bottom rigged net for beaches, creeks etc. you are best to set on a Stoney beach as if you lay it on sand you may find it will roll up and you will have a sausage by the next low tide!! You can of course stake the lead line on the net on a sandy beach. If you want any advise just ask. I should be able to help you. Regards richard.

What mesh size was the net you was offered? I don't know what the by laws regards mesh size is where you live. It's worth checking though! I would say you would be safe with 100mm mesh though. My nets vary on length but they are generally about 100 yards in length and about 7 to 10 feet deep. If you go on eBay and search rigged gill net you will find several but you want the nets from a bloke in Bungay in Suffolk and you want a bottom rigged net for beaches, creeks etc. you are best to set on a Stoney beach as if you lay it on sand you may find it will roll up and you will have a sausage by the next low tide!! You can of course stake the lead line on the net on a sandy beach. If you want any advise just ask. I should be able to help you. Regards richard.

Try www.coastalnets.co.uk i use the 4 3/4" mesh 200yrd 30 md, Rich1985 is right about setting on sand,, you will end up with a twisted net like a rope every tide,,

Try www.coastalnets.co.uk i use the 4 3/4" mesh 200yrd 30 md, Rich1985 is right about setting on sand,, you will end up with a twisted net like a rope every tide,,

Yeah costal nets are good to, I find eBay good too though I've had nets from both! You may well think a rocky beach will rip your nets up, it won't on a calm sea, don't set if rough!! One beach I net is rocky as hell and it stops net rolling and fishes really well! 60mm mesh is too small for what you want, you will be fine with 100mm. Just check your local fisheries website, you should find the email adress for your local fisheries officer, drop them an email they will tell you all you need to know!

I sea your point now - dam those blasted yanks and TV chefs messing with our language

Nice catch , I do not envy you eating the flounders though , I think they have the same taste as a wax candle !

( yes I know I should stop eating candles :lol: )

+1. Hate Flounders! :sick:

Nice haul there though, well done! :good:

Yeah costal nets are good to, I find eBay good too though I've had nets from both! You may well think a rocky beach will rip your nets up, it won't on a calm sea, don't set if rough!! One beach I net is rocky as hell and it stops net rolling and fishes really well! 60mm mesh is too small for what you want, you will be fine with 100mm. Just check your local fisheries website, you should find the email adress for your local fisheries officer, drop them an email they will tell you all you need to know!

Cheers Rich1985 most of the beaches around me are sand with a few pebbles on although there is some rocky bit but my take some getting to