THE DANGERS OF WILDFOWLING

marsh man

I have never been attacked by a goose I have shot , but twice my dogs have. The first time it was a young pink that i sent my rather inexperianced golden retriver for one dark morning. I was surprised when she came back without it so sent her again and this time followed her. She was dancing around the goose while the goose held its wings open and hissed at her. I quickly picked the goose up myself , but the dog learnt that if a goose was still standing she would run into it hitting it with her sholder and when the goose was bowled over she would then pick it up.

A few years ago a friend winged a pink that fell close 100 yards behind me. My lab went for it , but came back without it. After flight we went in search of the bird and when we found it it ran at the dog with its wings open and hissing. Again it had to be picked by hand.

I have never had a problem with my dogs retrieving Pinks, or any Grey geese come to that , but one Lab I had , again like yours a young one , went for a lightly winged Canada goose that went for him every time he tried to pick it up, and with it being the other side of a fleet dyke I couldn't do much to help him, and to cut a long story short, although he was a good retriever on duck he never made the grade on geese , As it turned out that Canada goose put him off geese completely and that might be another reason I no longer shoot them.

When my cocker was less than a year old I took him I the marsh with me, he just sat watched had a swim and enjoyed the odd duck to retrieve. Shot a big Canada that ran to water before expiring in the reeds. My little dog tried his best to retrieve it but it's flight feathers were caught and he couldn't free it so I lent him a hand to bolster his confidence.

Couple of weeks or so later shot since high Canada, down it came folded up into the reeds with a mighty splash, sent my dog for the retrieve and walked over myself getting there to see my dog swimming around looking for a goose. It was injured but still alive and swimming under water coming up at my dog and having a go, not wanting my dog getting goose shy I called him back and gave the coupe de grace, forgot to aim slightly off centre of head a 31/2" bb steel make pink most of the head and awkward to carry off the marsh after the dog made his first goose retrieve unaided out of the water reeds.

Some geese are fearsome beast at going for dogs.

20 odd years ago out pigeon shooting i was walking a tree line on a farm where there was a run off ditch 3feet wide and maybe the water was 2 feet deep, in the ditch was the body of a Canada goose, one wing outstretched and no visible head, The river Medway is about half a mile away so i presumed it had been shot, as i moved closer things changed rapidly a head popped up beak full of weed, i had disturbed its breakfast, It came out of that ditch so fast hissing and snorting wings out, to this day i don't know if there was any contact but i fell back onto my ****, gun was loaded but open, once it had got the measure of me it snorted with contempt walked off 10 feet and flew off.

Was i embarrassed ........Hell Yes!

Great white hunter i aint.

20 odd years ago out pigeon shooting i was walking a tree line on a farm where there was a run off ditch 3feet wide and maybe the water was 2 feet deep, in the ditch was the body of a Canada goose, one wing outstretched and no visible head, The river Medway is about half a mile away so i presumed it had been shot, as i moved closer things changed rapidly a head popped up beak full of weed, i had disturbed its breakfast, It came out of that ditch so fast hissing and snorting wings out, to this day i don't know if there was any contact but i fell back onto my ****, gun was loaded but open, once it had got the measure of me it snorted with contempt walked off 10 feet and flew off.

Was i embarrassed ........Hell Yes!

Great white hunter i aint.

Don't know the rules on clubbing one to death with the butt of a shotgun :lol::lol:

I had a bit of a fright today while boating across the ouse washes Propeller got wrapped up in reeds and with that wind we were 2 fields downstream in no time ! All ended well though with 11 ducks in the bag,should of been a few more but was still getting sorted out when the flight started

I had a bit of a fright today while boating across the ouse washes Propeller got wrapped up in reeds and with that wind we were 2 fields downstream in no time ! All ended well though with 11 ducks in the bag,should of been a few more but was still getting sorted out when the flight started

The HMS Oxford strikes again!

I was out fowling with my dad and good mate lucky enough, We were heading out to a morning flight of geese and we knew ware they ware and ware they were flighting. We all walked along this bank and got a position along the sea wall. I decided to move just before the geese were gonna flight, I was behind the sea wall so was not disturbing anyone.

I headed up and I put my foot into this hole and went over my ankle and all I heard was One almighty crack. I thought its ok and I tried to walk but the pain was really bad. My dad and mate came along and I took my boot off and my ankle trebled in size.

Back then phones weren't to popular so my mate had to run back to the car and phone for a ambulance. Two guys came along the sea wall took one look at me and said no bludie way they were carrying a big brute like me back to the ambulance. So they phoned in for a helicopter. When the helicopter came over it put about 3000 greylags over our heads not very high. My mate was cursing me HAHA the helicopter landed on the sea wall. I got a free ride to the hospital I had broken my ankle in 3 places.

That ******** the rest of the season up for me then.😂😂😂

As soon as I saw your post the name jumped out at me and the question mark related more to, 'is that the incident you posted about?' Yep, see if Dad remembers but I think I might be right. Either way, the chap lived down the road a bit from me.

He doesn't remember the name of the chap but he's pretty certain he was local to the Lympstone area. He reckons it was around 1962 but could be a year or two either way.

Standing out a tide upto your nuts in water on the wash in the fog was an exciting experience once : ) ....... Have to say it was a great flight, I was a little too keen. But it was mild and early season and I knew my way back but I did leave it abit late! The look on a dog walkers face as I came wading out of the tide and fog was priceless!