Anyone noticing flocks breaking up ?

Guest stevo

Now normally and i use the term very loosely. Birds are still very flocked up this time of year and dont really start breaking till mid march onwards ( around here anyway ) . But from the middle of last week ive noticed smmaller and smaller flocks . On still days as well as windy days . Just wondered if anyone else has started to notice the same sort of thing in there area ?

same as aga man has said I,m seeing them on grassland myself in small bunches seen 6 on a busy grassed roundabout today after work, and smaller flocks than there was, but last sat there was a flock of 150 or so that kept coming and going from a rape field as one flock not settling for more than a few mins so still a while yet before they break up completely

Well the weekend just gone whilst out shooting (still to do a rite up if i can get pic from phone to the site as i don't have a computer) there was flocks at least 500/1000 strong coming and going. I too shot a handful of young birds out of my bag of 111. But believe me them young birds didn't decoy any easier.

Yesterday I shot a personal best of 70 over osr and shot poorly to be honest as I haven`t shot since last October.The birds decoyed brilliantly to a magnet and one flapper, coming in small groups and even singly.This was on a new permission and the farmer was impressed.The big flocks were still present but there definitely were small groups flitting to and fro all day.Hopefully this is a good sign for the future.

Now normally and i use the term very loosely. Birds are still very flocked up this time of year and dont really start breaking till mid march onwards ( around here anyway ) . But from the middle of last week ive noticed smmaller and smaller flocks . On still days as well as windy days . Just wondered if anyone else has started to notice the same sort of thing in there area ?

I was out Monday checking OSR fields, saw numbers of a couple hundred sat up in hedges/trees and on a ploughed field a huge flock of maybe 500/600 birds resting on what was a very windy day in these parts. But having said that I have seen quite a few birds getting jiggy with it in my garden recently. So they seem to of started to pair up. As to seeing young birds well I was led to believe that pigeon breed all year round? Although I could be mistaken? The huge flocks are still returning daily into a local wood that they use year after year in there thousands for roosting at this time of year (it's an awesome sight and I used to flight them when the wind was right from a field that the farther in-law had) , normally by the end of March they disappear and only local birds can be seen flying in to roost. Who knows where the huge flocks go after that?

I'm the same Stevo...I'm already stocked up and bursting to get out for some decent bags.

I was out Monday checking OSR fields, saw numbers of a couple hundred sat up in hedges/trees and on a ploughed field a huge flock of maybe 500/600 birds resting on what was a very windy day in these parts. But having said that I have seen quite a few birds getting jiggy with it in my garden recently. So they seem to of started to pair up. As to seeing young birds well I was led to believe that pigeon breed all year round? Although I could be mistaken? The huge flocks are still returning daily into a local wood that they use year after year in there thousands for roosting at this time of year (it's an awesome sight and I used to flight them when the wind was right from a field that the farther in-law had) , normally by the end of March they disappear and only local birds can be seen flying in to roost. Who knows where the huge flocks go after that?

I'm the same Stevo...I'm already stocked up and bursting to get out for some decent bags.

When it picks up jame . Were have to have another day out . See wee can beat our personal best .