Is it worth mucking about with my FAC air and would I notice a differe

Zetter

Hi All

I currently have as my FAC air a Daystate Merlyn running at 21 ish FT/LB with Air Arms Diablo Field giving a MV of 755 fps ish.

Now the local RFD can wind it up to the 30 ft/lb range with the usual loss of shot count associated with more power.

Its as accurate as an accurate thing and does 44 shots per charge regulated.

From the big time FAC boys would I see a lot of difference with an extra 8 ish FT/LB, is it worth messing with something that works?

I also have a HMR and .22LR for distance work.

Thoughts and comments?

Cheers Neil

Just me personally, if your happy with the performance currently I would leave it.

I understand a totally different rifle but my superten played up when a slight power increase was given, so it was put back to the original setting.

If I need more power/distance etc I just take the rf :)

Edited by fruity

If it aint broke don't fix it - as the old saying goes. I agree with the above on that.

You have the other tools for the job so just stick with it at that. You'll only likely find if you got it to 30ft lbs it's still never going to beat the 22lr at the extra bit of distance you scrape out of it. :-)

My falcon was nearly 30ft lbs and for that it ended up only having a dozen shots before starting to notice a drop in the zero point.

Hi All

I currently have as my FAC air a Daystate Merlyn running at 21 ish FT/LB with Air Arms Diablo Field giving a MV of 755 fps ish.

Now the local RFD can wind it up to the 30 ft/lb range with the usual loss of shot count associated with more power.

Its as accurate as an accurate thing and does 44 shots per charge regulated.

From the big time FAC boys would I see a lot of difference with an extra 8 ish FT/LB, is it worth messing with something that works?

I also have a HMR and .22LR for distance work.

Thoughts and comments?

Cheers Neil

You have .22lr and HMR, so the question is, does 21ft lb not work, what are you lacking that 30ft lb or a rimfire can't supply?

It was a passing idea but general comments seem to be steering in one direction. Do I think having a .22 that gives me the MV of a 12 ft/lb .177 is probably the best way to stay

Where are you located zetter ?

If your reasonably close drop me a pm if want to come and give my superten a fist full of pellets and see if you see a huge difference in 30ft/lb

:)

Leave it as it is. There will be no real benefit in upping the power to 30fpe - if you want to take a bunny at 60 yards (etc), use the rimmies. :yes:

Les,,,,,why cant he use the merlyn to take rabbits to 60 yrds ???

not worth getting the rimmy out for that,, when the merlyn is more than capable of knocking rabbits down at 60yrds and a lot more

Where are you located zetter ?

If your reasonably close drop me a pm if want to come and give my superten a fist full of pellets and see if you see a huge difference in 30ft/lb

:)

Cheers for the offer fruity unfortunately I am in Milton Keynes so a bit of a distance away. Its very kind of you to make the offer though.

Neil

Les,,,,,why cant he use the merlyn to take rabbits to 60 yrds ???

not worth getting the rimmy out for that,, when the merlyn is more than capable of knocking rabbits down at 60yrds and a lot more

No reason at all, but he can do it just as easily with 21fpe as he could with 30 fpe. I just used 60 yards as a thumb-sucked 'reference' distance, but it was by no means meant to be anything more than that. :)

No reason at all, but he can do it just as easily with 21fpe as he could with 30 fpe. I just used 60 yards as a thumb-sucked 'reference' distance, but it was by no means meant to be anything more than that. :)

I'm not sure I would agree with that at all, a 9ft lb (nearly 43% extra energy) advantage would be useful and noticeable at 60 yards.

Just the same, and as you mention, unless there was a very good reason why not, I would be using a .22lr at 60 yards anyway! :good:

Edited by Dekers

no probs bud , just thought you didn,t think the merlyn was capable,,no worries,

I as have been said would leave the rifle running at 21ftlb because whilst its running sweet leave it be, turning up the power will as deckers said make a difference BUT 21ftlb is better for shot count and will do the job your asking