electronic scale

Having looked at that link they are 0.1gram x 500 gram. For reloading powders you need a better resolution of 0.01gram. Nevertheless that type of scale in a finer resolution have proved to be accurate and very good value.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300674919288?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Edited by sitsinhedges

I have the 10mg resolution version and it was less tha a fiver. The tare does not work, but I can get around that quite easily.

Cheap and cheerful but accurate enough. I suspect they are likely sub-spec devices in one way or another.

Might even just need a new cell.

RAB

Edited by oliver90owner

Having looked at that link they are 0.1gram x 500 gram. For reloading powders you need a better resolution of 0.01gram. Nevertheless that type of scale in a finer resolution have proved to be accurate and very good value.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300674919288?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I presume you just convert grains to grams with this one?

Got a set of these, damn good scales

Sorry guys the accuracy of these cheapies can't be guaranteed, you need to verify with a reliable beam scale?

Do some research on the net and see the cost of electronics with a certificate to verify accuracy?

Always verify with a reliable beam balance?

Sorry guys the accuracy of these cheapies can't be guaranteed, you need to verify with a reliable beam scale?

Do some research on the net and see the cost of electronics with a certificate to verify accuracy?

Always verify with a reliable beam balance?

I keep the Lee safety scale to verify mine but all anyone has to do is weigh a coin and keep it as a check weight.

I keep the Lee safety scale to verify mine but all anyone has to do is weigh a coin and keep it as a check weight.

My cousin works in a lab where he has a digital scale which can measure 0.0001 of a gram. For fun we put some different pound coins on it - and the differences in weight were very noticeable.

This kind of precision is probably OTT - but as you say - make sure you always use the same coin if using it as a check weight - you never know.

Edited by aris

My cousin works in a lab where he has a digital scale which can measure 0.0001 of a gram. For fun we put some different pound coins on it - and the differences in weight were very noticeable.

This kind of precision is probably OTT - but as you say - make sure you always use the same coin if using it as a check weight - you never know.

Of course you would use the same coin and write the weight upon it.

I have checked mine with a set of standard masses. Not even bothered to get out my assay balance. It is not used for reloading, but is more than accurate enough for purpose.

Lucky chap, what standard masses do you have and what is your Assay balance capable of please?

you don't need a lab or a set of scales that weight to within +/- 0.1 of a GRAIN

you will get more variation in MV from variance in neck tension and bullet variance than you will from counting kernels to get a perfect weight matched charge

no factory ammo is ever charged by weight

Hornady sell that same scale in the first link and it works great

Overload slightly and allow scale to re-read and you can quickly work out which side of the 0.2grain tolerance it is

smallest groups I ever got I only weighed every 4th or 5th charge, all the rest went straight into the case from a powder thrower!

Standard laboratory weights and it is a normal assay balance. I have used 6 figure balances in the past, so do know the difference between 'laboratory', assay, and semi micro.

No, you most certainly don't need to measure to around the nearest 5mg, but I would never check the calibration/accuracy/precision of any scale with a lesser instrument.

Standard laboratory weights and it is a normal assay balance. I have used 6 figure balances in the past, so do know the difference between 'laboratory', assay, and semi micro.

never claimed to

but that's not the point is it?

point is you don't even need scales! (of any derivation or accuracy level!)

never claimed to

but that's not the point is it?

point is you don't even need scales! (of any derivation or accuracy level!)

Read my posts again? I checked with known masses. Last reply was to old man, who was suggesting that they should always be verified by a beam balance?

I could have used my (admittedly old) assay balance, but I was quite satisfied with the standard weights and did not require the use of any of the rider masses. I am also aware that my old balance has 'age' and 'wear' issues, so I would not expect it to be as good as a newer item, but it will still be an order of improvement over my tiny five quid electronic chinese scale.

RAB

Having worked for Avery Berkel in the past I would like to say that modern digital scales are very accurate, \i use a small one from e-bay about £ 10.00 for measuring curing chemicals for home curing etc, mine reads to 2 decimal places.

A handy scale checker is as follows:-

1p = 3.56 grams ---- 54.937 grains

2p = 7.12 grams -----109.875 grains

5p = 3.25 grams ----- 50.154 grains

10p = 6.5 grams ------- 100.308 grains

20p = 5.00 grams ------ 77.16 grains

50p =8.00 grams -------123.456 grains

£1 = 9.5 grams --------- 146.604 grains

£2 = 12.00 grams ------- 185.184 grains

always check the calibration for your lowest weight to your highest weight that you are using to ensure the scale is linear.

1 gram = 15.432 grains so with a calculator you should be able to see how accurate they are.

Kind Regards

Gary.