22lr - reducing ricochets advice please

The .22lr is without doubt susceptible to ricochet so take car with your shots, hitting your quarry will go a long way to minimising, or removing, any ricochet chance.

The .22lr is by far the most popular civil calibre in the world, so it can't be all bad.

This.

Plus also the fact it is so quite means you are going to hear any ricochets.

I set a target out at 100 yards for my mate on my land, massive backstop perfectly safe shot.

It was only because I was standing downrange that I heard the ricochet, he didn't at all, and that was a well moderated centre fire shooting soft points.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wymberly, what does the pooter say with the lowest BC possible and a silly velocity of 500?

Thank you.

U.

A pointless exercise as, as has been pointed out, a slow tumbling bullet makes a mockery of any ballistic sense. My post was just to show that a shallow angle ricochet with not excessive bullet damage can surprise us all. For more than 10 years I sat on a cliff top in my little brick house watching countless thousands of ricocheting tracer rounds disappear across Lyme bay and before burn out they would perform aerobatics that the Red Arrows can only dream about.

To misquote a well known saying by engineers regarding any hydraulic system, a bullet under strictly controlled conditions relating to velocity, energy and trajectory can and will do whatever it damned well pleases.

Guest stevo

There has been some very interesting reading on this post.

A few yrs ago I done a very simple.an Un scientific experiment into this very subject..... Well that's lie to be honest it was more buy chance.

I was out zeroing my old finfire. I think it was eley subs not 100% but it's what I nearly always use.Anyway the spot I used to go to was on an old beet pad that was about 100 ft wide buy about the same deep. With railway sleepers about 5 ft to three sides with 20ft of linseed bales all along the back with nothing else around me for a good half mile so it was perfect For the rimmy.

So there I am set back about 70 yrds from the bales setting up my rifle. When a rat popped out and ran about 10 yrds towards me. I took the shot... I missed and the bullet hit the concrete just behind it. And **** me did that thing ricochet!!!! And I mean it went round that beet pad like a ping pong ball. So started to wonder just what would have happened if that thing had hit me. So....... Rather stupidly I tried to reproduced the ricochet . Being a bricklayer I had about 15 brand new mortor boards in the back of the van. These are 600 mm x 600mm x 15mm.

I lined them across the back leaning against the bales.

Then shot the rimmy about 15-20 ft in front.

I fired around 25 rounds. I could hear at least half of them hitting the boards. On closer inspection not one had gone.through. Plenty of nice dents for.sure but nothing like I.would have expected. .

Please don't get me wrong I'm.Not saying there not dangerous. My point is like it has been already said. The first impact took soo much energy from the bullet leaving a lump of lead spinning like a headless chicken .

You could see.from.the dents in the boards they where spinning.

I would not want to be hit by one. But from my findings they would be lucky to have the energy to travel more than 100 yrds at best. Think they just sound more dramatic than they in fact are. That said never take anything for granted . Once you pull the trigger. You can't call it back.

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

Steve, I wonder how much difference it had witht he first impact being on concreate as aposed to earth as in the fields !

But still a good indication of power / energy retained.

ATB

Matt

I'm no ballistics expert as you can see from my humble experiment haha. But if I had to guess I would say shooting over feilds as opposed to a concrete beet pad. I would have thought that anything softer than the concrete would have absorbed a bit more energy resulting in a less powerful ricochet . And.the harder and smother flat surface will cause a faster ricochet .

This.

Plus also the fact it is so quite means you are going to hear any ricochets.

I set a target out at 100 yards for my mate on my land, massive backstop perfectly safe shot.

It was only because I was standing downrange that I heard the ricochet, he didn't at all, and that was a well moderated centre fire shooting soft points.

That goes EXACTLY with what I said. You only hear a 22LR because it's a quiet round, regularly subsonic. A C/F you simply don't hear the whine as it ricochets away, due to the supersonic 'crack', even with a moderator.

There has been some very interesting reading on this post.

A few yrs ago I done a very simple.an Un scientific experiment into this very subject..... Well that's lie to be honest it was more buy chance.

I was out zeroing my old finfire. I think it was eley subs not 100% but it's what I nearly always use.Anyway the spot I used to go to was on an old beet pad that was about 100 ft wide buy about the same deep. With railway sleepers about 5 ft to three sides with 20ft of linseed bales all along the back with nothing else around me for a good half mile so it was perfect For the rimmy.

So there I am set back about 70 yrds from the bales setting up my rifle. When a rat popped out and ran about 10 yrds towards me. I took the shot... I missed and the bullet hit the concrete just behind it. And **** me did that thing ricochet!!!! And I mean it went round that beet pad like a ping pong ball. So started to wonder just what would have happened if that thing had hit me. So....... Rather stupidly I tried to reproduced the ricochet . Being a bricklayer I had about 15 brand new mortor boards in the back of the van. These are 600 mm x 600mm x 15mm.

I lined them across the back leaning against the bales.

Then shot the rimmy about 15-20 ft in front.

I fired around 25 rounds. I could hear at least half of them hitting the boards. On closer inspection not one had gone.through. Plenty of nice dents for.sure but nothing like I.would have expected. .

Please don't get me wrong I'm.Not saying there not dangerous. My point is like it has been already said. The first impact took soo much energy from the bullet leaving a lump of lead spinning like a headless chicken .

You could see.from.the dents in the boards they where spinning.

I would not want to be hit by one. But from my findings they would be lucky to have the energy to travel more than 100 yrds at best. Think they just sound more dramatic than they in fact are. That said never take anything for granted . Once you pull the trigger. You can't call it back.

My findings exactly.

Well, after all of your advice guys (thanks all), I'm venturing out tonight with my CZ and Winchester subs to see how I get on. The ground is pretty soft at the moment so hopefully it will be an enjoyable evening with the .22lr, fingers crossed! I'll be taking the hmr and air-rifle as well, just in case :lol: