Swapping .17 HMR for .17 Centrefire

marnold

Hi guys,

Has anyone done a 1-for-1 variation from a .17HMR to a .17 CF such as a hornet/fireball etc?

As it stands, I have currently got slots for 1 x 22LR, 1 x 17HMR and 1 x .223 - all of which are currently filled. I want to swap my HMR for one of the .17 centrefires (not 100% sure which one yet mind) on a 1-for-1 variation as I am fed up with the rubbish ammo quality!

I'm under D&C police and I was wondering if I have sufficient reason to ask for the variation to swap my HMR to a .17 centerfire? It would be used for most of my rabbit shooting and also opportune fox if needed (my .223 is my dedicated foxing calibre).

That would mean that I use the 22LR for short range bunnies with subsonics (where appropriate due to my ground being at high risk of ricochet), the .17 centrefire would become my main bunny gun that is also fox capable and the .223 would be used solely for fox.

Any thoughts please?

Just ask for the 17HMR for small vermin and .17C/F for larger vermin (fox). Say some vermin is flighty on the land so you need more range, but don't want to up the calibre size. I think most firearms dept are keen on this as they are bigger calibres more dangerous. You can then have both.

Just ask for the 17HMR for small vermin and .17C/F for larger vermin (fox). Say some vermin is flighty on the land so you need more range, but don't want to up the calibre size. I think most firearms dept are keen on this as they are bigger calibres more dangerous. You can then have both.

I like my HMR rifle (annie 1517 thumbhole), I am just fed up with the ammo.

If I were to get a .17 cf, I think the hmr would become obsolete. If only they would sort the damn ammunition out! I have had a couple of bad bricks in a row and it has been enough to force me to seriously consider the swap - which now looks imminent as I am starting to get into reloading.

I just wondered if plod would think there was any crossover between .17cf and .223 - which I'm hoping they won't!

Just got a variation for. 204 as well as my current HMR that way it costs you £20 but you can sell you hmr at your leisure I'm with Cleveland and I said I have a rabbit problem & I can't get within 300 yards off the ******* and that I didn't think my. 308 was suitable.. Come back inside a week

I like my HMR rifle (annie 1517 thumbhole), I am just fed up with the ammo.

If I were to get a .17 cf, I think the hmr would become obsolete. If only they would sort the damn ammunition out! I have had a couple of bad bricks in a row and it has been enough to force me to seriously consider the swap - which now looks imminent as I am starting to get into reloading.

I just wondered if plod would think there was any crossover between .17cf and .223 - which I'm hoping they won't!

Northumbria granted me .17 hornet as well as my .17 HMR. I'm sure my HMR will also become obsolete but it is just too nice to sell. My rfd offered what I put it in gun watch for, but I just couldn't let it go. Maybe in a while I may think about it. It's cheap fun, with a little more range than my .22. I've never had a neck split or any wild accuracy with the HW as long as I keep it reasonably clean. I often wondered if it was manufacturing tolerances with CZ's, but clearly not in your case with an Anni.

Even though I also have .243 they were fine issuing for vermin (fox). I fact they never even asked.

Edited by markm

Marnold : I assume you are using Hornady VMax rounds in the 17hmr? If so I can empathise with your problem, I had loads of hang fires, bullets stuck in barrel, split necks etc. I changed to CCI 17 grain hollow point and after firing hundreds of rounds I can genuinely say that there has not been a single problem. They have excellent stopping power and are very accurate. Might be worth a try?

• 2 weeks later...