Towing an automatic

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone

Just looking for some advice, we are looking to modify the front tow bar on my Kia Sorento (older 2.5CRD) so that we can fit the A-frame and tow it with our steam roller. We currently do it with my brothers land rover discovery but always good to have another car we can do it with.

However.... My kia is automatic and has an electronic 4x4 system thingy. There are plenty of opinions on line about towing an auto for recovery and general opinion its is fine as long as you dont do it for long and keep below a certain speed. We normally go about 25 miles in a day on the roller with an average speed of 4mph sometimes up to 6mph...I know really motoring.

I am pretty sure it will be fine but just looking for other peoples opinions.

Many thanks, Tom

I thought towing privately with those a-frames was not legal unless for recovery purposes.

You can tow with them legally but, if it isn't a breakdown then the towed vehicle counts as a trailer and needs to be braked. This is expensive to do and alot of hard work.

Thanks for the advice, the 4x4 system isn't too much of a worry as the car will be being towed with the engine off so the electronics shouldnt be on. At such low speeds I dont think there should be a problem, when we stop for lunch etc i will start the engine to pump oil about a bit.

Supposedly all our trailers should have overrun brakes but this is not practical or required due to the weight and age of the roller, it is a somewhat grey area as laws have been made without steam engines in mind (surprising i know) and no one is willing to give a definitive answer however the general advice from the powers that be is use a bit of common sense and have a secondary coupling should the main one fail which all our trailers do have in the form of either a chain or similar.

Edited by ferguson_tom

The bloke who lives in our street tows a small car behind his motorhome.(he is the MD of armitage trailers)

He also sells the "A" frames and when he sold one to my mate he gave him a load of leaflets in different languages because the

police in this country and abroad don't know the rules.

The "A" frame is connected to the cars breaking system and lights so you don't use a trailer board.

I would say a large trailer as someone has suggested would be the way to go with a 4x4.

Thanks for the ideas gents but we are already towing my brothers landrover on the a frame and all works well. My question was about being automatic and towing it. Not looking at trailers etc as we know this works with minimal aggregation as for going on braking system etc not a problem for us as do not need the brakes to slow us down.