Are bore guides really needed?

BangBangNik

Just picked up my first "mans" caliber rifle, a second hand .243 tikka t3 lite stainless barrel. I'm planning on only cleaning the bore after every use to remove powder reidue and will only clean the copper out if and when the accuracy drops off.

My question is, do I really need a bore guide? As long as I'm not jabbing the rod around like an idiot am I likely to cause any damage? How did people manage before them? Are they just another of the many things to spend your money on that simply isn't required?

Just picked up my first "mans" caliber rifle, a second hand .243 tikka t3 lite stainless barrel. I'm planning on only cleaning the bore after every use to remove powder reidue and will only clean the copper out if and when the accuracy drops off.

My question is, do I really need a bore guide? As long as I'm not jabbing the rod around like an idiot am I likely to cause any damage? How did people manage before them? Are they just another of the many things to spend your money on that simply isn't required?

You don't need a bore guide, I use one as it stops any **** coming back into the action. Plus I clean mine after every use

I use one for my Anschutz .22 target rifle, a species for which they are strongly recommended. I also have them for my other rifles. I daresay you could do without but I don't see them as a waste of money. I hate to hear the sound of even a brass jag rubbing on precision rifling, and that can happen even with a bore guide. Just my opinion, however.

I use one for my Anschutz .22 target rifle, a species for which they are strongly recommended. I also have them for my other rifles. I daresay you could do without but I don't see them as a waste of money. I hate to hear the sound of even a brass jag rubbing on precision rifling, and that can happen even with a bore guide. Just my opinion, however.

And just for another view : I've never put a cleaning rod (or cleaning product) of any sort down the barrel of my Anschutz 22LR.

if its a big cost to you probably not but if it protects chemicals going in your trigger and the rod rubbing against the throat its just best practice i suppose.if rods are made of soft metal this should allready protect your throat.one thing i noticed is if i did not use one the plasticote on a dewey rod gets stripped off

Edited by zx10mike

Just picked up my first "mans" caliber rifle, a second hand .243 tikka t3 lite stainless barrel. I'm planning on only cleaning the bore after every use to remove powder reidue and will only clean the copper out if and when the accuracy drops off. :hmm::hmm: :hmm: your rifle, your choice!

My question is, do I really need a bore guide? No

As long as I'm not jabbing the rod around like an idiot am I likely to cause any damage? Take Care

How did people manage before them? Well enough except for some idiots

Are they just another of the many things to spend your money on that simply isn't required? I wouldn't go quite that far, but I have got on just fine in life without them for any of my guns, even back in my serious Target days, and my rifles are all just fine!