243 options

MG6065

Hi all

I appreciate this topic has provably been done to death a million times but I'd still like to see your thoughts and opinions.

My open 243 grant was successful and I'm now looking for options on what to buy.

I've got a nice S&B 8x56 to sit on top.

The gun is going to predominantly be used for deer, and probably lamping but my 222 is my lamping tool. I may take the 243 lamping in the night after a day's stalking.

So it doesn't need to be the most glamorous gun in the world, like my other guns, they are tools that will be used very regularly.

Whatever gun I choose it will need to be screw cut, unless I can get it a good enough price that I can screw cut it after.

Do I go down the route of picking up a 2nd hand Parker hale/midland, then screw cutting it and away I go or do I buy a 2nd hand howa 1500 or do I buy a new savage for £350 from my local rfd?

I'm not too fussed on how it looks it's going to be a tool around the shoot and on the multiple farms I shoot over.

I've heard some horror stories where people have bought shot out barrels and have to rebarrel guns.. That's not what I want.

My budget is flexible but don't want to be spending much more than 5-700 for mod and gun?

Thanks for your time, I'd appreciate your opinions.

Cheers

Marcus

Try and buy one new unless you know a factual round count

An old Parker hale might have done hardly anything but it's more likely it's on its last legs but so can a few after only a year or two

There are some great deals about on new guns and as you already have a near perfect scope

I have the Howa 1500 sporter. I can't fault it, I like the three stage safety. I've only had 8 Roe with it mind, but have put a few down it playing with my loads.

They are plenty of rifle for what you're going to use it for, not bad quality ,some go only for name, and price.

It's not a match rifle and never going to be but people get hung up on accuracy.

If you can group to about an 1'' or thereabouts that's plenty good enough to humanely despatch a deer, considering the kill zone for any deer, that's easily obtainable with one of these rifles

As said I rate them, I also look at my rifles as a tool to do a job, and think mine does it well.

Edited by tonker