Beretta Help

roadkill

After years of owning a beretta 686E it has always felt a bit awkward when mounting and not really felt part of me, at the weekend i had borrowed a beretta 690. The difference was amazing, it felt great when mounting and almost felt like we were one item ( hope this makes sense )

What i want to know apart from how the gun feels, is there much a difference to anyone in the know?

Best rgds

Jamie

The current 686E EVO along with the 690 are built in the main factory by production line workers. I owned an original 686E from new which, like the Gold E, was built in the custom shop by gunsmiths. I traded it in for a Prevail 1 which is mechanically identical to the 690. There are several differences; the HP barrels are much lighter, the action is wider and heavier, the forend metal is aluminium so therefore lighter and the forend also has a spring to maintain pressure against the action. The ejectors are selectable to extract or eject but need periodic attention to keep them functioning properly.

IMO the Prevail/690 guns definitely handle better than the 686E, although I personally loathe the harsh chequering on the 690 (Feels like a cheesegrater!). All the same I wouldn't say the 686E ever felt awkward and the fit was no different from any other Beretta sporter, Prevail, 690, 692, DT or whatever.

Personally I couldn't live with the black/orange retro 70s colour scheme of the 690 but others seem to like them.

Has one got the field/game stock and the other the sporter stock. Other than that they tend to be the same dimensions across the rage i.e. all field ones same and all sporters the same regardless of model.

Has yours been altered or did you own from new. The game/field stocks never fit me as well as the spotter stock so I always swap them.

Just out of interest have you tried a 692 ? If not. May I suggest you have a look

no i will look at one of these

Has one got the field/game stock and the other the sporter stock. Other than that they tend to be the same dimensions across the rage i.e. all field ones same and all sporters the same regardless of model.

Has yours been altered or did you own from new. The game/field stocks never fit me as well as the spotter stock so I always swap them.

i bought mine from new around 9 years ago

The 692 is the premium sporter in the sub DT-11 range and has better wood, replaceable barrel shoulders (Why?) and includes the balancer system as standard. Whether or not those things merit the extra £8-900 over the otherwise identical 690 is up to the individual.

There's a fellow I see around at reg ESP shoots who works at GMK and can take out either a 692 or a 690. For the last few months he's used only the 690...

Edited by Westward

A friend of mine has just swapped his 686 for a 690, and we both feel the 690 has better stock dimensions for our style of shooting, both of us being game shooters rather than clay shooters. I seem to remember "our friend" *********** did a review of the 690. and said the stock dimensions were ideal, as he had a hand in designing it. It is a heavier gun, which we find is steadier for our style, which is rather slow, as we are getting old !

A friend of mine has just swapped his 686 for a 690, and we both feel the 690 has better stock dimensions for our style of shooting, both of us being game shooters rather than clay shooters. I seem to remember "our friend" *********** did a review of the 690. and said the stock dimensions were ideal, as he had a hand in designing it. It is a heavier gun, which we find is steadier for our style, which is rather slow, as we are getting old !

To echo this really, i wanted a 690 iii as a first gun but couldn't justify the extra £400 ontop of an Evo E, so bought Evo E and then when gunfit it ended up being pretty much 690iii measurements...