Shocking!

aga man

Very much so. Nothing to do with the insurance side but my best mates grandad was shot in the stomach in an accident with a shotgun. He was in his late teens early 20s (now 80 ish) I think and was taking his horse out for a stroll when he came across his mate by a local lake with a his single shot 12b looking for rabbits. I can't remember exactly what happened but whilst they were chatting the gun went off. He was lucky but was in hospital for a year.

Also feel sorry for the poor chap that shot his friend. As to the insurance issue...maybe a bit early to discuss whilst this poor chap is fighting for his life, but it does raise concerns around exactly what is and what isn't covered. Hope Alfie makes a full recovery and is able to return to the sport he clearly loves.

Edited by beanieboy

That is a horrible accident, whilst these chaps were extremely experienced, it goes to show it only take a second for things to go wrong.

They are sharing there story to help others to be much more safety conscious whilst shooting in the hide. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Watch the video, an independent insurance broker says the cost to your shooting association for your insurance cover is approx £1-2, says the cover would be absolute basic. What a wake up.

Would like to know what the my other £72 pound is spent on.

That poor chap has now made a remarkable recovery and was told his shooting insurance basically worth nothing!

What the broker was talking about was the personal accident cover offered by his association, not BASC by the way.

Remember the BASC policy is in three parts, liability cover £10m, legal expenses for appeals £100k and personal accident £50k

Alfie would have had a liability claim against the chap who shot him which would have paid significant costs for the injury, hospitalization, loss of earnings etc.

The issue here is that the association insurance that the other chap has is apparently refusing to pay Alfie any compensation

David

What the broker was talking about was the personal accident cover offered by his association, not BASC by the way.

Remember the BASC policy is in three parts, liability cover £10m, legal expenses for appeals £100k and personal accident £50k

Alfie would have had a liability claim against the chap who shot him which would have paid significant costs for the injury, hospitalization, loss of earnings etc.

The issue here is that the association insurance that the other chap has is apparently refusing to pay Alfie any compensation

David

If he is proven liable the lack of insurance on the part of the shooter is irrelevant, he should still be pursued. The insurance provided by these shooting organisations costs them very little and PA and liability is often covered under good household insurance

If the person pulling the trigger is found liable and has no insurance and no assets exactly how is the injured party going to get paid compensation?

Almost half of the homes in the UK have no insurance

In this case, I am led to be live the person pulling the trigger was insured but the association insurer is refusing to pay, I do not know why, but I do know that in similar circumstances BASC has paid

David