Homemade Crow socks

Made up a batch of Crow socks last week and field trialled them last Saturday

Went out with Turbo33 and set up the hide etc,stuck out 2 decoy patterns :yes: to one side of the hide we stuck out standard FB crow decoys,and to the other side we put out a pattern of sock crows :yes:

The crows seemed to prefer the sock decoys over the shop bought decoys :yes: and we built up a steady bag of birds :good:

Anyway they are very easy to make,and cost pennys :yes:

post-16664-0-37901600-1307470178.jpg

First of all i cut out a template from 5 mil plywood using a jigsaw,and gave it a lick of black matt paint.

post-16664-0-68768900-1307470281.jpg

Then fitted a mounting bracket,made from a raw-plug

post-16664-0-69524300-1307470377.jpg

The sock was machined from a black sheet,cost of sheet £8 from wilkys,i got 24 socks from 1x sheet

post-16664-0-99401800-1307470495.jpg

Sock slipped over crow and secured with a staple :yes:

post-16664-0-35921700-1307470577.jpg

Length of wire inserted into raw-plug to present the crow sock,and this allows the decoy to rotate fully to fill with wind :good:

so chaps 24 socks cost me about £12 and they have been field trialled and work :yes: ive just cut 16 pigeon blanks,will post on here when completed :good:

So they work out at 50 pence each :good: :good: BB

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Cheers chaps :good: ive had some very good results with them :good: crows are pretty easy as there all one colour,i did cut the pigeons out with the jigsaw but thought they would be too difficult to paint and get them realistic,no reason they wouldn't work but to be honest I lost interest in doing them,so gave them to a mate to use for rifle targets :good: BB

can I ask what the sock is for and can,t you just use them without the sock ???

I made some last week out of 6mm ply and I have to say they worked better than my full bodied crows, I got the idea from steve b,

can I ask what the sock is for and can,t you just use them without the sock ???

I made some last week out of 6mm ply and I have to say they worked better than my full bodied crows, I got the idea from steve b,

The sock is inflated by the wind and makes the decoy move better(all mine rotate fully on the wind,and add movement to the pattern),it will also make the decoy look bigger from above for approaching birds,pretty much like pigeon silosocks :yes: BB

thanks for that BB,i,ve never seen them before and wondered why the where not used without them ,but seem a very good idea,

I have built some myself and they have worked excellent without the socks and to be honest better than the full crow decoys I have

thanks for that BB,i,ve never seen them before and wondered why the where not used without them ,but seem a very good idea,

I have built some myself and they have worked excellent without the socks and to be honest better than the full crow decoys I have

Yep ive had some good results with them,also knocked up a dozen using correx (same as steve b used) and the good thing about these type of deeks they pack down flat and are very lightweight :good: it's also nice to make something up yourself and get a result :yes: atb BB