Woodland Shoot

dunksey

Hi guys,

We were on a woodland shoot last weekend and we did **** only getting 2 birds from 100 or so shots.......Now this was the first time we have been woodland shooting and out of our normal conditions. Any advice on where we were goin wrong there were plenty of birds and we were well covered but I don't if they we'er higher than we thought or if we were on the right size and choke (full and 7).

We have been invited for the next 3 weeks and really want to do better....

Cheers

Dunksey

Co.Durham

Edited by dunksey

I assume you were roost shooting and it could be that the birds were higher than you thought.

In very windy conditions the birds tend to come into the woods quickly, settling near the edge and then making their way further into the sheltered areas.

With less wind , they often come higher over the edge of the woods and then drop into their favoured places.

Its worth walking the woods looking for heavy concentrations of pigeon droppings on the ground, this will show you where the pigeons are roosting and this is where you want to be.

Ambushing incoming birds can be fast and furious, but the cartridge/kill ratio usually goes out the window.

Dunksey 100/2?...throw your gun away and take up golf :blink:

But seriously and especially if you've not done this type of shooting before this is about the hardest shooting. Most peoples cartridge to kill ratio goes out the window (if they're honest) The birds are very deceptive in height and speed, usually dropping like stones into a head wind like raptors, wings folded sliding down the wind and they'll be higher than you think. What lead??? as we all see that somewhat differently it's difficult to say but you should be seeing a lot of sky before you pull that trigger. As everyone will tell you 99% of misses are behind. Try missing in front and see the difference! Either that or wait until the little boogers are almost at rest :blink:

Hi

Do not dispair.

We share a wood with another shoot and me and two of my mates found out that 8 of them were going to cover there half of the wood, great opportunity to keep the birds moving.

No wind so the birds were fairly high.Beteween the three of us we got 10 birds for about 50/60 shots.

The other half had the best of the shooting with about 250 /300 shots between them.... wait for it ........ 0 birds .

SHOCKING I SAY.

Cheers :D

Aubs

Dunksey

I have been woodland shooting for over 30 years. It really depends on the type of woodland you shoot in mine is a mix of mature oak, chestnut, birch and fir.

It is very deceiving the height of these trees if you have lofting poles put em up and you will soon see how high they really are.

I use RC Sipes 32g 1 1/8 oz 6's and 5's in the choke barrel a good hard hitting cartridge and reasonably priced.

Good luck

Rab eye

this is an average i wouldnt tell anyone about!!!!

Not my normal average mate but the birds were high and it's quick snap shooting.

As for telling people about it I thought that was what this site was all about.

Alternatively I could have said we had ten shots for ten birds but we didn't.

Aubs