cabinet keys

digga

When I first looked at this my local security company who maintain my burglar alarm suggested a wired in digital safe which had a panic set of numbers so if you were under duress being made to open the safe you could use these numbers and the safe would open but a silent alarm would notify them and the Police

Great Idea but it was £3k extra to the system !!!

So I like most on here have a seperate digital safe with my spare keys in the other set are with me

I put both my locks on the same key(one slam lock) the re cut the key onto a shorter blank, just long enough to do the job, about half the length of the original

so now I just have one small key that I carry all the time, lots less hassle than 2 large keys

Digital safes still have a key over-ride as well - in case of power failure or a problem with the circuit board. So where do you hide that one?

Combination safes are purely mechanical, so no over-ride, although some also require a key.

If you are worried about your spare keys. or you are prone to loosing them, a trip to a locksmith, and a for a few pennies, he will decode the key(s) and give you the direct cutting code, or may be able to give you the manufacturers code. This is only an alphanumeric code which you can much more easily hide or store away electronically.

At a later date, when given to a locksmith, this can be decoded and a new set of keys produced.

It has to be a locksmith though - a high street key cutter can only copy keys, not originate them.