Dead sheep !!

A couple of the feeders on our Pheasant shoot were knocked over by sheep & they hoovered up the wheat !!

Two days later 2 of em swelled up & died

The farmer opened one of them up & sure enough it was full of wheat

They are the only 2 feeders on the whole shoot that aren't in woods, it's been fine in years gone by & the sheep have never bothered with them.

So my question is has any one ever claimed on thier insurance for this kind of thing??

My insurance is through the SGA

Cheers

MMM a still luv fish me

Edited by mmm_a_luv_a_fish_supper_me

How much is he wanting for the sheep ?

I think a look at auction mart prices will give you an idea of what they are worth. ie next to nowt.

then add on loss of defra subsidy and disposal cost.

We didn't have problems with sheep knocking over feeders however the cows did a pretty good job and it seemed to pass through undigested sprouting up out of the cowpats a week or two later. Probably the most frightening sight you can imagine is a herd of Blond Aquitane hurtling down a steep muddy hillside because they have spotted you with a sack of feed on the shoulder

bovins-race-blonde-daquitaine-5-aquibev.jpg

offer hin £20 per carcass and get a extra freezer.

a lot of problems solved in one.

BB

It would cost at least £30 to have the two carcases collected.

The top Swaledale Tup sold for £47,000 10 days ago at Kirkby Stephen.

There's some valuable sheep about!

http://www.livestock-sales.co.uk/2009/pedi...1022/index.html

Fortunately "next to nowt" is no longer applicable to sheep. At last the price has begun to reflect the dire state of the uk sheepmeat industry as so many people have got out of sheep owing to the dire returns. There is now a bit of a shortage of supply so things are looking a bit better. We sent some old cull ewes to slaughter 3 weeks ago; averaged £47/head nett. You need to be thinking of the value of ewes being kept for breeding as being considerably more than that, and round here the casualty disposal charge is around £25/head.

Makes a robust enclosure round the feeders seem cheap.... (How about "upside down" stocknet?)

This is far form uncommon I am afraid, sheep, cows, horses all love wheat but it does not love them. On the BASC policy we get quite a few claims each year for this.

As to the cost of the sheep, this is easy to establish from a local livestock auction house for example.

My guidance to you is to get in touch with the SGA immediately and tell them what has happened and get them to send you the claim form. Tell the farmer you have done this, and warm him up to the idea that the insurers will need some form of evidence as to the value of the dead sheep.

Looking forward, lesson learned, keep feeders well fenced off.

David

also worth trying is a couple of ratchet straps and strapping them to a tree that way they have a lot more trouble tipping them over. Its bad luck and definitely worth a discussion with the farmer as to what he thinks they were worth before doing too much.

There's some valuable sheep about!

You are not wrong there, my friend.

A Scottish ram has become the most expensive sheep in the world after being sold for a record £231,000 (374,000 dollars) at an agricultural auction, it was reported Friday. Deveronvale Perfection was bought by a sheep farmer from Lanark, near Glasgow, who intends to use it for breeding, hoping to recoup the purchase price several times over.

We have used an injection called perentivite ( not sure on spelling ) which can counteract the effects of sheep eating lots of wheat/ewe nuts etc.

Disposal cost here is now £40+/ewe as there is no help from government anymore. Cull ewes are anything up to £65/head. And replacements are somewhere in the region of £90/head. However there will be loss of lambs for next season if the tups have been in already, so be prepared for possibly another £130/head over the simple replacement cost.

Some pallets with boards cut to allow the birds through and fixed with a stake at each corner in a square would stop the greedy ******* getting at it.

Now they have found it you will never keep them away easily so if possible put the feeders behind the fence.

First thing though speak to the farmer asap about it and see if he wants reimbursing, if so then get onto the insurance company.

BTW Robbly if I got a bill from the shoot there would not be shoot anymore simple as.

Unfortunately it is not just a case of having insurance and getting a valuation for the sheep. At the end of the day, if the farmer wants (say) £500 per sheep and you, or your insurer, says they will only pay £100 - then Bingo! - you've lost your shooting. What the insurance companies fail to realise in these situations is that the farmer holds the whip hand.

This is far form uncommon I am afraid, sheep, cows, horses all love wheat but it does not love them. On the BASC policy we get quite a few claims each year for this.

As to the cost of the sheep, this is easy to establish from a local livestock auction house for example.

My guidance to you is to get in touch with the SGA immediately and tell them what has happened and get them to send you the claim form. Tell the farmer you have done this, and warm him up to the idea that the insurers will need some form of evidence as to the value of the dead sheep.

Looking forward, lesson learned, keep feeders well fenced off.

David

Thanks for all your replies

Glad it was just the 2 that died

MMM Golden deep fried FISH

Unfortunately it is not just a case of having insurance and getting a valuation for the sheep. At the end of the day, if the farmer wants (say) £500 per sheep and you, or your insurer, says they will only pay £100 - then Bingo! - you've lost your shooting. What the insurance companies fail to realise in these situations is that the farmer holds the whip hand.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I must know the same farmer.He has a little red tractor that he is always complaining about,its the biggest heap of carp ever built..Until you meet him on sale day at the mart with the newly jet washed tractor that is the epitamy of engineering and would pull a mountain through a bottle top.I am sure he can be found up and down the country.

Last year a friend's dog caught and killed a pheasant on a footpath - with plenty of witnesses around :rolleyes: His dog is a working gundog and normally extremely well behaved (unlike my dog who is constantly on the look for anything to chase).

My mate knew who the keeper was and owned up immediately - apologising for the damage his dog had caused and the fact he hadn't kept him under control on the footpath (he had chased the pheasant through a hedgerow). Prepared to pay the £26 a bird that the shoot normally charges he was surprised that the keepers response (after a chat) was that he would accept payment via some pest control!

So what started as an apology/offer to pay actually resulted in some new shooting - apparently full of rabbits and foxes. So my friend is pleased he took the honest approach, especially as he has been invited to shoot on a (free!) beaters/keepers day. Luck s*d.

Actually he said he was pleased it was all witnessed otherwise he may have taken less honest approach!