house electric

ME

our upstairs sockets ring keeps tripping out.

as soon as we use anything that has a big draw like hairdryer or electric radiator (our heating is bust too!) the circuit breaker trip switch on the fuseboard goes.

we have just noticed that the circuit breaker switch on the fuseboard is buzzing too. is the circuitbreaker switch likely to be faulty ?

as an extra bit of info we did have a small water leak upstairs over the weekend, but surely if it was that, it would be tripping out the whole thing all the time ?

We have our electrics covered by British Gas for something like £5 a month

You could take one of these policies out and discover the problem next week :rolleyes:

wouldn't trust them with a barge pole if their sparkies are as good as their gas "fitters" my other halfs parents are knocking on a bit and had two separate engineers out as their hot water heating wasn't getting hot, checked a few things and both claimed the heat exchanger was furred up. I had a brief look and the rads were all piping hot so it didn't ring true. They got their plumber out despite paying for their maintenance plan and the ball valve on the header tank had stuck so there wasn't enough water in the system. Hey presto mended and no need for a new boiler which they were trying to sell them. Makes you mad when all these policies do is let them into your home to try and diagnose faults they have to charge to fix

If the water, or for that matter the condensation, got into the sockets then they will cause a short.

The buzzing is when there is a leak to earth, or a short circuit, but not quite enough to cause it to trip.

On the cost side, whilst the breaker is buzzing you are using electricity, which you are paying for.

Sounds like it all needs drying out, so don't use much power unless you have to, as it could cause tracking (where the electricity eventually burns a path down to earth), which can lead to an electric shock, or a fire.

Your house insurance should cover you for leaks, and the remedial works, so get it done ASAP.

Cooter :rolleyes:

as soon as we use anything that has a big draw like hairdryer or electric radiator (our heating is bust too!) the circuit breaker trip switch on the fuseboard goes.

Thats an easy fix! Just jam somthing under the trip so it can not move down and trip off :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats an easy fix! Just jam somthing under the trip so it can not move down and trip off :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But do not listen to me, I know nothing about electrics hence my signiture below. Sparkies are the bain of my life at work!

Just had all the landing floorboards up. No sign of any water or moisture.

Waiting for electrician to let me know when he can come round.

Could be a faulty MCB in your board, even they go wrong sometimes!!!

If it helps I know a gay electrican who takes payment in kind in these times of recession. Do you want his number?

you need a part p electrician as you cant do any elelctrics in your house now even if youir more than capable,could be anything from a loose wire to a earth or neutral fault.

part p electicians cost alot though.if your fuse board isnt up to scratch you will need to have it replaced,and then there might be faults to add to the bill.before getting one round just wip your sockets off and have a check that all the wires are still connected and in the right place

you need a part p electrician as you cant do any elelctrics in your house now even if youir more than capable

While I do not encourage anyone to carry out electrical work unless they are competant, I think you need to check page 8 of Approved Document P.

Basically it is permitted to carry out repair and maintenance and to add extra sockets or lighting points etc to circuits that aren't in the kitchen, bathroom or outside. This is only a quick summary, see the actual document for what is permitted and what isn't.

HW682

Edit to add link: Approved Document P

Edited by HW682

you need a part p electrician as you cant do any elelctrics in your house now even if youir more than capable,

Is it not the case that you can do any work you want and then get in part P person to verify it / make final connections?

I have done this and had work signed off by part P sparkie. I am not paying a sparkie to run a wire from a to b!

i may be wrong and usually :good:

i used to fit kitchens so know i wasnt allowed to add sockets unlees i was part p.And yes you are allowed to carry out work and then get a qaulified sparky to sign it off.

but again,i'm not sure but if your wiring isnt upto current standards i think a sparky is supposed to bring them upto scratch(i could be wrong)i'm a joiner i dont know everything.Ask a sparky,they think they do :blink:

But who is going to stop me fitting a new socket in my bathroom is I wanted?

Know one comes to your house to check things, even if you sell your house these hips are a waste of paper.

There are sparkies in my industry and when I worked off shore, and all our works is in Zone 1 or some times zone O, ATEX rated EXD and intrisicly safe etc.

But becuse they do not have part P they are not classed as qualified, rubbish. But some kitchen fitter does a quick course and pays a few pounds to get a certificate and he is better than them. :blink:

Although I am not part P and still only 16th edition regs qualified(believe they are now onto 17th edition), I am a qualified spark under the old system(C&G 236 part 1 &2). I would be happy to come and have a look depending upon where you are in sunny essex(for the price of a cuppa and petrol money) but first try a bit of logical fault finding

1) do you have a new style consumer untit with a split level RCD protected system - are the circuit breakers MCB's fitted tightly - make sure your ring is wired to a 32A breaker

2) try the ring with no load(ie appliance) and see if the MCB trips

3) try each socket with an appliance to see if its any particular socket that is tripping(may just be a loose wire that has worked its way from the connector)

4) have you been up to any DIY recently that involved hammering/screwing stuff into walls or floors(always a favourite)

5) Modern MCB's are fantastically over engineered but, as mentioned, do go wrong(but very rarely) - try a different MCB in the ring socket(32A)

6) WITH THE POWER OFF - Check the insides of the sockets for loose connections - AND I MEAN WITH THE POWER STONE BONKERS OFF

7) Try different appliances on the ring (in case its a faulty hair dryer that is causing the MCB's to kick out)

8) How old is the wiring - are we talking Victorian lead rubber encased ancient stuff

9) Have there been any dodgy spurs added to the upstairs ring

10) check that the circuit is actually indepedent - ie is it connected to outside lighting/upstairs lighting/water heater etc etc - the trouble with buying a house that is x amount of years old is that you are never quite sure what ropey old DIY electrics have gone on over the years. Flick off all the other MCB's other than the upstairs ring and make sure no other areas i the house/outiside are still juiced up.

11) Its very unlikely that a leak would get into wiring unless it is old - if your consumer unit is buzzing then you have problems - could be anything from bad connections to a mouse caught in there(yes I have saw that with my own eyes - frazzled to ****) Was the leak anywhere near the consumer unit or plug sockets.

12) if all else fails, get back to me

Iwould suspect a loose connection on the circuit breaker that is buzzing .But you really need a qualified electrician to look at it .It may cost you if you don't know one , but will be cheaper ,and better than a possible fire . Hope this helps and isn't to worrying for you .