Shooting/General Coat

Markio

I need a new generic shooting coat, my usual cart supplier suggested the Bonart Keeper (£85). They certainly look the part with big front pockets and are waterproof, the usual etc. Will do the job in a hide as well as on a beating line. The only down side i can see is the collars, might get between gun butt and shoulder when mounting (same with my current jacket).

Any experience of these jackets or suggested alternatives around the same price?

EDIT: Spelling errors

Edited by Markio

I have 3 shooting coats that you can buy.

You will just have to develop a more manly shooters figure :P:lol:

You haven't grown out of that new one already have you?

Markio,

I know John Norris had some Musto coats on offer not so long ago, I would highly recomend them.

You haven't grown out of that new one already have you?

Markio,

I know John Norris had some Musto coats on offer not so long ago, I would highly recomend them.

Snipe posted about two Seeland jackets from John Norris. One of which doesn't have my size and the other i forgot about for some reason but looking again it's a bargain. Just need to source funds before the offers run out. :lol::P

I got the John Norris offer on the Seeland Hampton trousers. Even at the smallest size they are a little big for me, but they are seriously comfy and survived their first day beating.

I was wearing them today on a rifle range (first ever go with FAC rifles... :lol: ) and despite the howling wind I was very comfy.

Another thumbs up for the jack pyke hunter jacket. Handy bit of kit for rough shooting. Generous pockets including cartridge holders. Another set of hand warmer pockets. A poachers pocket come fold out waterproof seat/game carrier built in and a little pocket for phone and wallet. Big thumbs up from me. Will be used for winter decoying and rough shooting. And all for 70 notes. You can even get a set of matching trousers. Not a pretty jacket lol but very functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for the Seelend Brandon in the end. Order yesterday, turned up today.

My only doubt in it is the insulation (small as it is) does not exist on the back. The arms i can cope with has it seems to give the jacket a bit of mobility but why not along the back? Anyway i'm sure it'll get a test on tomorrows potentially raining clay outing.

I think for £100+ i wouldn't be too impressed but for a cheaper £60 delivered it'll be alright.

get a trusty jahti jakt jacket, i got the full suit its awesome had it well over two years nearly 3 and washed it quite a few times and still as waterproof given it loads of hammer and its still good plus for the price you'd pay for a deerhunter jacket you get thermals, fleece mid layer, a fleece(which i wear the most) and other extras thrown in too, i payed £180 for the full set bargain!!! :good::good::hmm:

markio ,

as you proberbly know its all about layers to keep warm ( or cool ) . I would go for a good quality light weight gortex or similer water proof and wind proof long lenght jacket in one or two sizes bigger than normal . A good sweater and then a quality fleece on top will keep you warm ,if you get to warm you can remove a layer . It can get taters sitting in a hide in mid winter . The most important layer is the waterproof ,windproof outer layer .

Harnser .

markio ,

as you proberbly know its all about layers to keep warm ( or cool ) . I would go for a good quality light weight gortex or similer water proof and wind proof long lenght jacket in one or two sizes bigger than normal . A good sweater and then a quality fleece on top will keep you warm ,if you get to warm you can remove a layer . It can get taters sitting in a hide in mid winter . The most important layer is the waterproof ,windproof outer layer .

Harnser .

Sound advice cheers, and by luck this is kind of what i ended up with. When it was first delivered i was a bit disappointed as it wasn't that thick but it's a roomy 42" size so room for other layers underneath. Lets just hope the 'SeeTrex' water/wind proof outer works as they claim.