Salt damage limitation to 525

JONO

Hi,

I've taken the plunge and bought a new 525 hunter (Avalon in Street - no issues thusfar!) as 22 years with a 2nd hand IZH-27 Bailkal was starting to grate and I'd promised myself an upgrade.

The Baikal, being proofed to the hilt with fixed 1/2 and full chokes is great down the Bristol channel foreshore where I shoot with bismuth loads but the cost of these has also contributed to settling on the 3" steel proofed 525.

I do have one concern about using a 525 in such a hostile environment - I've often literally watched spots of rust form on the '27 and rush home to clean after the sessions but the 525 has the elaborate scrolling and sideplates the Baikal lacks which could prove awkward to clean fully.

So am I being paranoid and over-protective or am I being daft taking a wildfowling-enabled brand new 525 to a salty mud estuary?

Answers on a postcard, thanks in advance

Jon

Edited by JONO

You need to go and buy some Browning Legia oil in a red and black tin. It is a pump spray oil that leaves a oil film when wiped off. Over a period of time the rag you use will become coated in the oil and everytime you have finished cleaning your gun give it a good going over with the same rag and a squirt or two of Legia oil.

Out of the marsh or in the rain you will see the water bead up and run off.

Always let the gun come up to room temperature before cleaning as well. This helps stop condensation forming under the oil film.

mmmm I would buy a semi with synthetic stock for foreshore work, and I did. couldnt imagine taking my Browning in to the sea.

The urika has been great

doc

I agree entirely as I have an Extrema but not everyone has a gun for every oppurtunity and some have to use what they have. I still use Legia oil on the metalwork of my Extrema.

Go and look at accessories section at somerset gun accessories they have a gun polish that keeps wet out ,It makes alot of difference and it cleans and protects.I tried some and it took of rust that I could not even see.After cleaning with it just put some more on with a clost leave 10 minutes then buff off.It forms some kind of seal and a protective water barrier I have never seen anything quite like it.They are near you in Bridgwater somerset.They sell rifle scopes mounts and are very helpfull.

I've taken the plunge and bought a new 525 hunter (Avalon in Street - no issues thusfar!) as 22 years with a 2nd hand IZH-27 Bailkal was starting to grate and I'd promised myself an upgrade.

If you can afford £4000 for a 525 sideplated gun you can afford another 1

As I said a Hunter , which you are saying is a £4000 gun, is not. It costs £1400 ish.

A sideplate Heritage is a £4000 gun.