Pike?

fieldwanderer

i love pike when u cut the fillets into 1"x3" slivers dip in flour and flash fry them in a mess tin with very very hot lard right there by the water.. they curl kinda like quavers then add sea salt, tropical cracked pepper n piri-piri

saw an old guy doing it on the bank once n it looked so good i had to try.... felt it needed the piri piri fr my liking

• 2 weeks later...

5 to 8 lb

Bring her home live !!

leave in the bath (full of water) over night with a hand full of salt

in the morning Crack her on the head !

gut and head it , cover the tail in salt (helps you hold her still)

PUT your goggles on for this bit the scales come off like .22 bullets

Scrape away form you with the back of a normal eating knife (in my case Tail in right hand knife in left)using lots of Elbow ! to remove ALL the scales

Prepare for DIVORCE because you've covered the kitchen in pike scales !!!!!!!

Remove all fins and tail

wash , tip it down side up on tin foil, fill the cavity with parsley garlic and Good Butter (or white sauce), wrap up in tinfoil like a cornish pasty

SLOW cook medium temp for an hour or two

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

serve with chips peas and Mayo

wb

My mum being from Finland meant many holidays there over the years, ive been eating pike nearly all my life, dunno about all the salt thing etc., but in Finland from catching to eating in less than 1/2 an hour is good for me, pine needles inside then BBQ, cut her open and off you go. . . . . . . . .fantastic meat, my mum used to like the eyes best, yuk :good:

:good: You only need to do the fresh water trick if you have caught one in a muddy drain or lake, river pike over a gravel bottom taste fab!!!

My last one was about 6-7lb, descale it while its whole....lots easier!!!

Gut it and wash it out.

put in long fish dish with head on, stuff gut cavity with onions, butter and a little garlic(dont go mad).

The cover with a whole bottle of white wine, and pour in a pint of cream, then top with more onions and chopped up leeks,

then cook on a low heat for 2 hours

Bloody lovely.

but as everyone else said....mind the bones...theres lots!!!

erm just a small point but river fish are indeed deemed to be 'ferae naturae' (or 'wild animals') and are not owned by anyone AS LONG AS THE FISH REMAIN FREE (the capitals are deliberate).

But the act of fishing is also deemed to be 'taking' fish, or rendering them into your possession, and all fishing rights are owned by someone in this country.

The value of the rights is clearly diminished if an unauthorised person removes or destroys fish. Thus, although the fish are not owned, the right to take them is. In fact, it is a property right which can be bought or sold. Diminish that right are you are open to legal action.

So, if you do not have permission to remove and retain fish, or to attempt to do so, you have committed an offence.

It is absolutely essential that a fishery owner or tenant who wants to prevent fish stealing by 'anglers' makes sure that it is a condition of fishing that all fish must be returned to the water from which they were caught. Otherwise, an 'angler' could legally keep his fish.

Conversely, someone who removes fish when it is a condition of fishing that they are returned is as guilty as someone who fishes without any permission.

By the way, the reason legal action can be taken against polluters of rivers who cause fish mortalities, or environmental damage, is the same: it diminishes the value of the fishing rights which - in law - are regarded as 'property'.

Imagine: if someone was foolhardy enough to catch and move a large barbel up (or down) stream from where it was caught when the angling rules stated "all fish must be returned", he or she could be prosecuted for at least three offences - theft of the fish/diminution of the value of the fishing rights (at the donor stretch), damage to fishing rights (to the recipient stretch), and unauthorised fish introduction (Section 30 of the Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act).

so make sure you have permission to remove the fish before u do :angry:

erm just a small point but river fish are indeed deemed to be 'ferae naturae' (or 'wild animals') and are not owned by anyone AS LONG AS THE FISH REMAIN FREE (the capitals are deliberate).

But the act of fishing is also deemed to be 'taking' fish, or rendering them into your possession, and all fishing rights are owned by someone in this country.

The value of the rights is clearly diminished if an unauthorised person removes or destroys fish. Thus, although the fish are not owned, the right to take them is. In fact, it is a property right which can be bought or sold. Diminish that right are you are open to legal action.

So, if you do not have permission to remove and retain fish, or to attempt to do so, you have committed an offence.

It is absolutely essential that a fishery owner or tenant who wants to prevent fish stealing by 'anglers' makes sure that it is a condition of fishing that all fish must be returned to the water from which they were caught. Otherwise, an 'angler' could legally keep his fish.

Conversely, someone who removes fish when it is a condition of fishing that they are returned is as guilty as someone who fishes without any permission.

By the way, the reason legal action can be taken against polluters of rivers who cause fish mortalities, or environmental damage, is the same: it diminishes the value of the fishing rights which - in law - are regarded as 'property'.

Imagine: if someone was foolhardy enough to catch and move a large barbel up (or down) stream from where it was caught when the angling rules stated "all fish must be returned", he or she could be prosecuted for at least three offences - theft of the fish/diminution of the value of the fishing rights (at the donor stretch), damage to fishing rights (to the recipient stretch), and unauthorised fish introduction (Section 30 of the Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act).

so make sure you have permission to remove the fish before u do :angry:

Dear god the night.the bhoys are only looking a tip are two about cooking the odd small pike and all this drivel comes up,there's always someone comes up with **** to spoil a thread.Don't get me wrong,I wouldn't agree with all the fish that are caught being killed.The odd one does no harm,,,

Dear god the night.the bhoys are only looking a tip are two about cooking the odd small pike and all this drivel comes up,there's always someone comes up with **** to spoil a thread.Don't get me wrong,I wouldn't agree with all the fish that are caught being killed.The odd one does no harm,,,

erm i have been fishing longer than shooting and i know the damage taking pike can do...you take one or two large pike then depending on the size of the fishery it can have serious effects..you get a large head of jack pike that can do serious effects to the other fish stocks.....

you dont know whats been taken before unless its a private lake or fishery..which i am a baliff on 3 syndicate lakes of different sizes....we found out 3 years ago someone took 4 large pike of between 14lb and 23lb.....now all we have are jacks and the silver polulation has gone down alot.... :good:

so dont try preaching to me about it and its also the law :yes:

Well, for a start, I've got permission to take pike as "they're becoming a pest" I wouldn't take a big 'un - a few pounds would be plenty and would probably be helping this particular water (too many jacks). Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't going to do good - I wouldn't do it. It's all about geting the right balance I suppose but having studdied the subject for a short while and working the water to help the guys when needed I'm confident this would do more good than harm.

I must admit I'm confused about the comment about sea fishing - what's the difference!? Would you say the same about an eel? And what's the difference now compared to the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s when pike and eel were very popular for the table - apart from there's people on forums who don't know the full story or, in some cases, don't even have a clue what they're on about who want to have a moan about anything they're not keen on - you live your life, I'll live mine.

can it not really be eaten like cod, trout etc then? i.e, with a fork / fingers.

I heard of a guy over here who used to provide his local Chinese takeaway with pike and they where selling it on as white fish done in batter.I don't agree with this practice are with the eastern european community killing everything thing they catch,but there is no harm in eating the odd one,not in double figures weight mind you,I'm not PREACHING <_< are forcing anything on you just my thoughts.At home here we are allowed to take 4 a day I think it is,but not over 4 kg.