BASC

monkeyboots

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct we will not be runnibng the fair this year, mainly due to our big sponsor pulling out, not due to traders refusing to pay!

I think it is best for BASC NI to focus on delivering on our objectives in NI and supporting our membersin NI and not running a fair, which is very expensive and time consuming. Surely its best for us to use our time and funds in the most productive way?

We will ,of course, be at other fairs where we can still meet our members, and we would love to see as many of you as possible come up and say helow, have a chat, let us know what you think we are doing right, what would you like to see us do more of etc. Its your organisation! :)

Best wishes

David

There are already a lot of guys from NI (and also the south) come over for fairs on this side of the water.

The CLA is, of course, the "big one"; a lot bigger than any of the others and you really need the full three days to see it all. The Midland is another good one but it only runs for two days. Popular with the NI guys is the Scottish Fair at Scone which is another 3-day event. There is also a much smaller fair in Dumfries & Galloway which is handy for the Larne or Belfast ferries.

It was always on the cards. It's nice to have your own Gamefair in your country run by the organization your paying your hard earned money too. We give plenty of money and time to BASC and they can't even give us a two day game fair anymore. If they lost their main sponsor why not find another one? Theirs nothing for the members over here now except for a few 'taste of game evenings'

'supporting our members in NI and not running a fair' what does that mean?

'supporting our members in NI and not running a fair' what does that mean?

What it means is this.

It costs time and money to run a show. If the main sponsor pulls out and another one is not available the other option would be for BASC to fund the show to the tune of many thousands!

Surely it is better to spend that time and money helping members, working with PSNI, working with the Assembly, working with other Agencies to keep shooting safe.

I would prefer my money spend on this rather than a show.

David

So as usual it's all down to money. Doesn't matter what the members want. There's been a game fair over here for as long as I can remember and to call it off for a few £k's is a disgrace. I thought BASC was voice of shooting etc?

Not much happening in Northern Ireland............

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/basc-game-and-country-fairs/

There are still several game fairs and other shows in NI that the BASC team will be going to.

Like I say, I am sure members would rather BASC spend money on keeping shooting safe than spending it on running a game fair, or maybe I am wrong? To say that it’s a disgrace for BASC to prioritise in a positive and productive way, to meet our 5 key objectives is way off the mark!

As for other stuff the BASC NI team are doing see here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/in-your-area/northern-ireland/

The link you posted was, as I am sure you know full well, the link to the section of the BASC site that shows where game fairs that are owned by BASC will be run in 2010!

David

So as usual it's all down to money. Doesn't matter what the members want. There's been a game fair over here for as long as I can remember and to call it off for a few £k's is a disgrace. I thought BASC was voice of shooting etc?

Not much happening in Northern Ireland............

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/basc-game-and-country-fairs/

A few grand?

In your dreams, If that is all it is then I would sponsor it. It cost 10's of thousands to put on a game fair. Why don't you offer your services and organise one yourself and then you would realise what was involved.

Maybe then it wouldn't be such a "Disgrace"

A few grand?

In your dreams, If that is all it is then I would sponsor it. It cost 10's of thousands to put on a game fair. Why don't you offer your services and organise one yourself and then you would realise what was involved.

Maybe then it wouldn't be such a "Disgrace"

If I had 120,000 odd members paying me £60 odd a year maybe I would. I pay my money I'm entitled to my opinion. If their so expensive why have any?

I have to admit I like the game fairs but like DavidBasc said, I would far rather BASC put money towards ensuring the safety of our sport and also speed up the PSNI with the processing of FAC's. There are other Game Fairs in NI so its not as though we are left with none.

If I had 120,000 odd members paying me £60 odd a year maybe I would. I pay my money I'm entitled to my opinion. If their so expensive why have any?

Thats just it though isn't it?

There isn't 120,000 members paying 60 odd quid is there as there will be among that 120,000 juniors, family members, Reduced rate members such like myself who as a wildfowler only pays £53 and some people who have recently lost their jobs etc and are paying the much reduced rate. And all the subscription fees do not go towards a game fair in Northern Ireland.

I would imagine that the game fairs they do have probably have sponsors that cover most of the costs and there are lots of people who help out voluntarily.

I bet they don't make much out of them once you take all the costs out.

• 2 weeks later...
was reading on another site that this years basc gamefair at ballywalter n.ireland has been cancelled due to a sponser pulling out any truth in it was meant to be a article in the newtonards chronicle about it

GOOD NEWS! BRAND NEW!

Ballywalter Game & Country Living Fair, Sunday 2nd May 2010 from 10.00 to 6.00 pm

The team from the very successful Great Game Fairs of Ireland (Organisers of the Record Breaking 2009 Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle and the Irish Game & Country Fair at Birr Castle) and publishers of the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine have decided to organise this exciting new event to REPLACE the cancelled BASC FAIR previously held on this date at Ballywalter.

There is a completely new layout moved up to and involving the house and stable yard and a wide range of new attractions including clay shooting, angling, gundog, equestrian and terrier & lurcher events. Plus other new attractions with a decidedly new country and participative/interactive focus. It really be an action packed day out.

CAI and BASC will be supporting the new event. BASC will also be having a much larger involvement in the Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle.

Full details will appear in the Spring edition of Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine in the shops the first week in March which will give details of a fantastic TWO FAIRS for the PRICE OF ONE ADMISSION OFFER!

Further details from 028 (048) 44615416 E: irishgamefair@btinternet.com or see the web site due to go live www.ballywaltergamefair.com

For details of the Great Game Fairs of Ireland : see www.irishgamefair.com and www.irishgameandcountryfair.com

Edited by AlbertJ

It is a fair hike to get to Ballywalter except for Dazza so I will not miss this show but AlbertJ seems to have a new show lined up so will take a look at what's on offer. Moira is handy to get to and perhaps might benefit from the loss of Ballywalter in a perverse way.

It is a fair hike to get to Ballywalter except for Dazza so I will not miss this show but AlbertJ seems to have a new show lined up so will take a look at what's on offer. Moira is handy to get to and perhaps might benefit from the loss of Ballywalter in a perverse way.

Ballymac,

What is lined up is a TWO FOR ONE TICKET OFFER - A £10 ticket ( or £25 Family ticket) to Ballywalter gets you admission to Ballywalter AND Shanes. That should pay for your petrol and give you two days out!

Shanes Castle in 2009 set records for attendance at any Irish Fair, had the best Gunmakers Row by fair, the best competitions and the largest prize fund.

We have more modest objectives for Ballywalter this year but I think people will enjoy what is on offer.

Albertj