BASC

monkeyboots

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a fair hike to get to Ballywalter except for Dazza so I will not miss this show but AlbertJ seems to have a new show lined up so will take a look at what's on offer. Moira is handy to get to and perhaps might benefit from the loss of Ballywalter in a perverse way.

I'm with Ballymac, its quite a hike for me too, so I think I will just attend Shanes Castle as norm.

I'm with Ballymac, its quite a hike for me too, so I think I will just attend Shanes Castle as norm.

Ollie,

Well when I said more modest I didn't mean inferior. It is just that we have some exciting new developments at Shanes to move it further ahead of what was the best for many years in 2009. However for the Ballywalter event we have hit the ground running and are well avanced with our plans to make this a totally new show with a very different feel and one that we think true country men and women will enjoy.

We know many people have expressed disappointment with the previous Fairs at Ballywalter but it is a beautiful estate and setting for a game fair and with better use made of around the house and yard, a richer mix of stands,new attractions AND superb dry car parks we feel we can create a good early season very country focused fair with lots of opportunities for participation/interaction. We wouldn't be looking at getting it televised for satelliteTV if we thought it wasn't going to be good.

In addition we thought that we would offer sportsmen and their families the opportunity to try the new event as a 'bonus event 'in effect FOC - that is why we introduced the TWO for ONE ticket giving admission to Ballywalter AND Shanes events for the normal price of Shanes.

I hope to see you there - if you're disappointed come and see me and I'll refund your money!

Albert

Ollie,

Well when I said more modest I didn't mean inferior. It is just that we have some exciting new developments at Shanes to move it further ahead of what was the best for many years in 2009. However for the Ballywalter event we have hit the ground running and are well avanced with our plans to make this a totally new show with a very different feel and one that we think true country men and women will enjoy.

We know many people have expressed disappointment with the previous Fairs at Ballywalter but it is a beautiful estate and setting for a game fair and with better use made of around the house and yard, a richer mix of stands,new attractions AND superb dry car parks we feel we can create a good early season very country focused fair with lots of opportunities for participation/interaction. We wouldn't be looking at getting it televised for satelliteTV if we thought it wasn't going to be good.

In addition we thought that we would offer sportsmen and their families the opportunity to try the new event as a 'bonus event 'in effect FOC - that is why we introduced the TWO for ONE ticket giving admission to Ballywalter AND Shanes events for the normal price of Shanes.

I hope to see you there - if you're disappointed come and see me and I'll refund your money!

Albert

So where do we get the tickets? I just don't know if I can justify approx 150 mile round trip when I can wait and have probably a better show at Shanes Castle and a lot less miles to travel. I am sure the Ballywalter show will be good and I don't mind the admission fee, it is just the distance.

AYE, Tickets and how much...:good:

Thanks for your contribution but the offer was only made to Ollie AND what an offer! Admission to Shanes Castle undoubtedly the best attended Irish Game Fair in 2009 and in fact arguably every year with the possible exception of 2008 when we had horrendous weather but still operational car parks. AND a REAL bonus of a new show, like Shanes , in a beautiful country estate with many more new attractions to in effect try FREE of charge.

I see you support SACS and I should like to advise you that the SACS organisation and its past Chairman David Cant have been invited to our events since they were set up in NI but apparently they couldn't come because a local official appeared to regard SACS as his personal fiefdom and might get offended. Similarly the SACS magazine "hadn't space "to accept advertising from us for over two years in advance. When I discussed it with the chairman he said it couldn't be accepted because of the possibility of upsetting the same local official! Then interestingly enough my renewal form for SACS did not appear. When a very pleasant volunteer asked me to join SACS at the Moira Fair three years ago I said I was happy to but that my renewal had not been forthcoming. The current Chairman overheard the conversation and undertook to look into it explaining it was probably a postal problem. He undertook to get a renewal form sent to me - it must be this blooming postal strike but it still hasn't arrived.

I realise that many of the local SACS officials and of course their members thankfully do not hold the same views as the local official who it appeared did not want SACS to attend our Fair, to refuse to take advertising for our Fairs and wanted to prevent my membership. ALL countrysports organisations and country sports people are welcome at OUR Fairs!

Please do not think I am anti SACS and in fact would like to re-iterate my invitation to them to attend our fairs, let us take advertising in their magazine and send me an application to re-join.

Edited by AlbertJ

Albertj

If You look back through your replies on this topic, you will find the following. "In addition we thought that we would offer sportsmen and their families the opportunity to try the new event as a 'bonus event 'in effect FOC - that is why we introduced the TWO for ONE ticket giving admission to Ballywalter AND Shanes events for the normal price of Shanes.

So where does this offer state that its only available to my fellow countryman OLLIE. Indeed by your response re S.A.C.S it would look as if you do have a grudge and as i am A MEMBER OF s.a.c, it looks as if this offer has not been to offered to our members when you clearly stated the above remarrk previously.

I think there's some confusion here! I think the offer AlbertJ is refering to (made only to Ollie) was this one

From what I've heard the 2-for-1 offer is open to everyone, I'm not sure if you have to book in advance to get it. No doubt AlbertJ will be able to confirm.

I think there's some confusion here! I think the offer AlbertJ is refering to (made only to Ollie) was this one

From what I've heard the 2-for-1 offer is open to everyone, I'm not sure if you have to book in advance to get it. No doubt AlbertJ will be able to confirm.

Teal,

Well put - the TWO TICKETS for the Price of ONE is open to ALL at the GATE. A ticket for an adult at Ballywalter will cost £10 or for a family £25 for a full day of action packed entertainment in effect two days squeezed in to one! That will qualify the ticket holder (s) to FREE admission for Shanes. The offer to refund Ollie's money if he attended Ballywalter was made a little 'tongue in cheek' but as with anything I promise will be stood over! I don't expect Ollie to be collecting!

I have no grudge at all against SACS not even against the 'blocker' who appeared to have prevented SACS taking advantage of our hospitality and the opportunity to promote their membership to the largest Game or Country Fair crowd in Ireland; getting revenue from us for their magazine and in gaining a number of members including myself and friends.

I am too 'long in the tooth' to hold such grudges as holding grudges such as this does more harm to the 'grudge holder'.

I personally consider this individual a rather sad individual who appears to want to dictate to the SACS organisation what they can and can't do even to the extent of potentially damaging their interests in favour of his highly personal interests.

I think I have demonstrated to 'Mayfly' whose 'nomme de plume' seems vaguely familiar that I have absolutely no grudge against SAC or him. He posed a question and I answered him and to show there is no hard feelings over him misunderstanding my posts, if he wants to contact me directly I will let him have a free annual subscription to our magazine Irish Countrysports and Country Life in order that he can see for himself information and ticket prices for the Fairs at Ballywalter, Shanes Castle and Birr Castle.

AlbertJ

Albertj

If You look back through your replies on this topic, you will find the following. "In addition we thought that we would offer sportsmen and their families the opportunity to try the new event as a 'bonus event 'in effect FOC - that is why we introduced the TWO for ONE ticket giving admission to Ballywalter AND Shanes events for the normal price of Shanes.

So where does this offer state that its only available to my fellow countryman OLLIE. Indeed by your response re S.A.C.S it would look as if you do have a grudge and as i am A MEMBER OF s.a.c, it looks as if this offer has not been to offered to our members when you clearly stated the above remarrk previously.

Mayfly,

See my fuller post to Teal confirming he has got " the right end of the stick". The offer is open to everyone - only Ollie qualifies for the refund. SACS members are most welcome and in fact I will offer to the first 200 SACS members who apply to me a FREE copy of the Spring issue of Irish Countrysports and Country life which will carry full details of the Ballywalter Fair and the two Great Game Fairs of Ireland at Shanes Castle and Birr Castle.

AlbertJ

What about those of us from Northern Ireland who are currently living in England, Wales

or Scotand.

How are we going to attend? Eh?

I demand being personal helicopter transport from Edinburgh so I can enjoy the day.

[Only joking, you don't seem to be able to please some people.]

Good luck with the day, I hope it all goes well and I could be there.

Nial.

BTW, if you supply the helicopter, even one way, I'll go.

AlbertJ your a fine figure of a man, just had a look on your website incase of any snide remarks. Wish you well for Ballywalter and I will keep an eye ot for the coming attractions on the web page.

But I wonder, if this one day event could move venue to another stately venue, national trust site etc. Everyone has to travel east to get to it, just a thought

Also, I notice that the Birr event is on on the bank holiday weekend in Aug. I was thinking of having a little break and attending it have you any deals going for it ideas on where to stay etc.I notice the castle is in the town so I assume booking somewhere in the town will leave you close to all hte craic.

In fact I have mentioned to a friend who is considering taking a stand, he would normally attend the Clonmel show think it is the following week.

What about those of us from Northern Ireland who are currently living in England, Wales

or Scotand.

How are we going to attend? Eh?

I demand being personal helicopter transport from Edinburgh so I can enjoy the day.

[Only joking, you don't seem to be able to please some people.]

Good luck with the day, I hope it all goes well and I could be there.

Nial.

BTW, if you supply the helicopter, even one way, I'll go.

Thanks Nial- people including my own team often laugh at the 'extra mile' I go to put on a good show and give customer satisfaction.

Ballywalter will be a good show but if you want to come to one show in NI it should be the Irish Game Fair at Shanes Castle 26th/27th June - we have special ferry rates and accommodation - why not bring a group and I'll give you lunch! A helicopter might just be going a little too far towards delivering customer satisfaction! Attractions still being confirmed will be on our web site within the next fortnight. So people purchasing a two for one offer at Ballywalter should be in for a real treat at both fairs.

After 32 years organising Game Fairs and over 40 Fairs and nearly 100 exhibitions in total I really only do it now out of interest. I'm more interested in maximising success rather than profit although often one follows the other. In my previous life as a marketing / business strategy lecturer I always taught that in a recession you can 'shelter from the storm' or 'run with the wind'. We did the latter last year and it worked delivering the four best magazines we have ever produced and the top two Irish Game or Country Fairs AND we took the message international through www.countrychannel.tv on SKY Tv. This year we hope to have the top three Irish Fairs.

AlbertJ your a fine figure of a man, just had a look on your website incase of any snide remarks. Wish you well for Ballywalter and I will keep an eye ot for the coming attractions on the web page.

But I wonder, if this one day event could move venue to another stately venue, national trust site etc. Everyone has to travel east to get to it, just a thought

Also, I notice that the Birr event is on on the bank holiday weekend in Aug. I was thinking of having a little break and attending it have you any deals going for it ideas on where to stay etc.I notice the castle is in the town so I assume booking somewhere in the town will leave you close to all hte craic.

In fact I have mentioned to a friend who is considering taking a stand, he would normally attend the Clonmel show think it is the following week.

Ballymac,

I have always found that travelling to a fair is half the fun and I travel a lot to see other Fairs. Birr has a magical setting in a castellated estate right in the Georgian town. . There are a number of good B&B's in the area/towm [plus some self catering and a first class hotel Dooley's in the town where the assistant manager is a hunting man. Will get you some details of costs but the team from Mid Ireland tourism always have a large stand at Shanes with special offers. There is always a big crowd from Northern Ireland and lots of entertainment in the town and surrounding towns.

One of my favourite places great town/great people AND not a bad fair!

Albert

ballymac if you are for birr then book a b&b now i went to it a few years ago and i had booked a b&b in advance but there was loads of people from here who cudnt get anywhere to stay as everywhere was booked up

good luck with the show albert but as most say its a fair ole jump and i speak on belhalf of anyone i know in my patch of north antrim and this is what puts them off traveling to ballywalter and this is why moira and shanes pull far bigger crowds cos they are both central to most places in n.ireland

ballymac if you are for birr then book a b&b now i went to it a few years ago and i had booked a b&b in advance but there was loads of people from here who cudnt get anywhere to stay as everywhere was booked up

good luck with the show albert but as most say its a fair ole jump and i speak on belhalf of anyone i know in my patch of north antrim and this is what puts them off traveling to ballywalter and this is why moira and shanes pull far bigger crowds cos they are both central to most places in n.ireland

Albert thanks for your offer of a refund if I am not completely satisfied, I wish this extended to women :good::lol: . I am thinking about going; however, it is the travel that is putting me off a bit.

Monkeyboots, if I am travelling down and you want to go you can come if you don't mind sitting in the back of a Corsa :lol: .

Albert thanks for your offer of a refund if I am not completely satisfied, I wish this extended to women :good::lol: . I am thinking about going; however, it is the travel that is putting me off a bit.

Monkeyboots, if I am travelling down and you want to go you can come if you don't mind sitting in the back of a Corsa :lol: .

Ollie,

I think your lady friends might say they wish it could be extended to you!

Seriously we are currently working on attractions old & new but making real progress to or launch next week. The Spring copy of Irish Countrysports and Country Life will give fuller details as will the web site. Happy to send you a mag when it is published.

Albert

Could Nial's hehehelecopter pick me up in Glasgow on the way over and I need two free tickets with full refunds on demand and tell the trolly dolly I only drink CHAMPAGNE. :good:

Vulpicide,

If you can manage to get SACS to accept advertising for the Fair and/or participate and/or send me a membership renewal then I shall have the champagne on ice for you at either Ballywalter( 2nd May) or Shanes Castle ( 26/27th June).

Unfortunately you will have to make your own way there but it will be a good bottle of Champagne or even perhaps a fine bottle of Cooley Whiskey from one of our sponsors!

Albert

Hi

For those of you coming from the west or the south, Ballywalter has got a load closer than last year. The Newtownards bypass is now open but Roads Service obviously regard it as a secret as it is not signed [yet] from the A20 coming from Belfast.

Take the dual carriageway from Belfast/Dundonald to Newtownards and, at the roundabout at the bottom of the hill, by the Ards Shopping Centre, turn RIGHT - signed to Comber & Scrabo. At the next roundabout follow signs for A20 and Portaferry and it is signed on from then.

If comingf from ROI and the south via Hillsborough/Carryduff and Comber, take A21 towards Newtownards. Shortly after dual carriageway ends, turn right at new roundabout onto bypass, signed A20 and Portaferry.

Looking forward to the new Game Fair!