Guns in cars

kyska

Its the old problem, different police different sets of rules. By far the best advice is to not get into a situation where it might be a problem. However if you are on a 200 mile drive and you have to stop for a Brad Pitt at a Motorway Service Station what can you do.

Going in a pub would be regarded as not an essencial stop and you would be required in law to transport your weapons by the shortest reasonable route in the shortest reasonable time to avoid the suggestion that you were being negligent.

All FEO's are, or should be, pretty reasonable, but will have their pet hates. My FEO just thinks that leaving an unattended gun in a car is unforgiveable, and acts accordingly.

In guess he is right in that there is no real need to have a beer or pop into Tesco on the way home, but if you do, carry the stock in a small back pack with you.

Right or wrong, if that is what he wants then I am happy to fall in line beause if the car get broken into there is no harm done. The people who just slip the forend into their pockets may be in a difficult situation though, as that can be replaced easily to remake a whole gun.

Just to throw a spanner in the works - you can legally carry a gun in a slip on the bus can't you? :hmm: so i suppose you could have it in a slip on your shoulder...not sure how that stands but i wouldn't think it was classed any differently than a street (i.e.- public place)

but if you were intoxicated would that make a difference? :hmm:

Just to throw a spanner in the works - you can legally carry a gun in a slip on the bus can't you? :welcomeani: so i suppose you could have it in a slip on your shoulder...not sure how that stands but i wouldn't think it was classed any differently than a street (i.e.- public place)

Not sure if you can carry a gun on a bus. Anyone clarify this?

Phil

Just to throw a spanner in the works - you can legally carry a gun in a slip on the bus can't you? :welcomeani: so i suppose you could have it in a slip on your shoulder...not sure how that stands but i wouldn't think it was classed any differently than a street (i.e.- public place)

but if you were intoxicated would that make a difference? :yes:

Illegal or not, its entirely stupid. Why not just break a gun down and put it in a holdall as if you were going to the gym or suchlike. I really don't understand people who have slips or cases with BERETTA/BROWNING/REMMINGTON etc down the side of them, theres no need to advertise the fact you have a gun with you.

you've got me worried now i've caught the bus a few times with my guns to and from the gun shop or to go shooting how else can you travel if you don't drive? its always slipped and all ammo/cartridges are in my bag so how is it any different from walking home from shooting your still in a public place? i thought you just couldn't have them uncovered in a public place

I reckon the answer's in the question, myself.

If you could drop your gun off o the way home, then you should drop your gun off, if only for one reason: Let's say your gun did get half-inched from the car whilst you're in the local, and you ended up having to explain that in court, could you really claim you had taken all reasonable steps to ensure security, if you could have dropped it off at home first? I dunno... :welcomeani:

you've got me worried now i've caught the bus a few times with my guns to and from the gun shop or to go shooting how else can you travel if you don't drive? its always slipped and all ammo/cartridges are in my bag so how is it any different from walking home from shooting your still in a public place? i thought you just couldn't have them uncovered in a public place

yes you can carry it with you on a bus, or in fact anywhere where the public have a right of way, as long as you have good reason to do so.

I reckon the answer's in the question, myself.

If you could drop your gun off o the way home, then you should drop your gun off, if only for one reason: Let's say your gun did get half-inched from the car whilst you're in the local, and you ended up having to explain that in court, could you really claim you had taken all reasonable steps to ensure security, if you could have dropped it off at home first? I dunno... :unsure:

You are absolutely correct.

Its Common Law in Britain that you always have a duty to behave in a responsible manner whatever the situation. Not just in terms of firearms but in general. It could just as easily apply to leaving power tools switched on with kids around or leaving something dangerous propped up against the side of your house if it falls and hurts someone. You are leagally responsible for the consequences of your negligence.

If you gun gets stolen from the boot of your car the chances are you could have behaved in a different way (like taking the gun home first) which would have prevented the risk from occouring in the first place. So in that situation the Police can rightly say that your behaviour was negligent under the circumstances and withdraw your licence. Not only that, they could twist the knife and prosecute you for criminal negligence. An easy conviction from their point of view.

Leaving you gun locked in the boot of you car unattended is nearly always going to be hard to justify as being the most prudent course of action you could have taken so the best advice is simply don't do it.

There is another aspect to this discussion that hasn't even been touched on, most guns are expensive, some incredibly so. If they get stolen from the boot of an unattended car, even if they are insured, the chances of getting any money out of the insurers is zilch. They will wriggle out saying you didn't take reasonable precautions to protect them. Their case would be that much stronger if you got prosecuted for negligence.

Edited by Vince Green

yes you can carry it with you on a bus, or in fact anywhere where the public have a right of way, as long as you have good reason to do so.

Not strictly true, Most bus companies will not let you carry a shotgun or firearm on their vehicles, the same is true for train companies, alot will not allow any weapons onboard their trains, i would check with the operating companies to get a firm answer, you wouldn`t want to get in trouble just because the driver wasn`t clear of the rules.

Not strictly true, Most bus companies will not let you carry a shotgun or firearm on their vehicles, the same is true for train companies, alot will not allow any weapons onboard their trains, i would check with the operating companies to get a firm answer, you wouldn`t want to get in trouble just because the driver wasn`t clear of the rules.

That was my understanding.

Phil

Go easy on me if this is a silly question

How would you go about if you wer to go away for a weekend shooting in the sticks and wer staying at a lodge or cottage where would you store your guns and is it legal/ok to take them and not be stored for a few nights in a cabinet.

Sure it must happen all the time but just thought i would ask ???

Go easy on me if this is a silly question

How would you go about if you wer to go away for a weekend shooting in the sticks and wer staying at a lodge or cottage where would you store your guns and is it legal/ok to take them and not be stored for a few nights in a cabinet.

Sure it must happen all the time but just thought i would ask ???

Break the gun up and store it apart, forend in glovebox, barrels in boot, stock in the room with you maybe?