here's one for the pizz takers

blackthorn

choke is over rated

i used to completely believe in 1/4 and open, but recently have changed to 1/4 and half

i have noticed no difference in scores if anything they are higher, (down to progression rather than some sort of technical advantage)

1/4 will break 99% of targets out to 45 yards, just wont break them well

i shoot at a place called willow farm (tenterden) most weekends, and often go around with a guy called leon who is a billionare of some sort, but he fires over 200,000 carts a year, and uses full and full, he went around with us recently on a very difficult 50 sporting setup, he had been round 2x before us, (our 1st time) i shot a 32 being deadly serious about it, bar one setup where i had a play. this was 1 bird on command 2nd on report.

leon shot it as doubles and shot over 40

he was messing around, he got the trapper to setup a 70yard crosser on the remote target and broke 4/8,

the guy is a very special shot, but there is a reason he uses full and full, its becuase choke makes precious little difference if you put the gun in the right place, and he wanted to shoot 70yard crossers :rolleyes:

Edited by dunganick

As H.V. states ,point in the right direction you will hit it, but as long as the pattern you have has no holes, Nick, sorry buddy but i i cant agree with the comment "choke is overated"

if that were true we'd all be shooting the same, i can say that shot size and choke do matter , the tighter the choke the heavier shot for mass and energy properties.

Me i use improoved mods and fulls for skeet,trap and sporting practice,then change to improoved cylinder or light mods for comps, i find the tight chokes in practice keeps my game up, i find if you let the chips and cracks take over you will actualy get lazy on aquiring target/bird sight picture and your bag or score will show , just my opinion , keep it tight shoot it right .

Martin

my point is that you can break almost all birds with anychoke, open gives you holes, but 90% of shooters will never realise, i now use 1/4 and half as i dont want to disadvantage myself but want to have a pattern which is quite dense @ longer range, however i have no doubts that if i can hit it with half i can hit it with open or 1/4 its just how well it breaks.

the point about practice is a fair one, i heard that all the national teams practice with full and full, and then shoot with a more appropriate choke on the day.

it will make you shoot more accuratly, but the whole point that if you put it in the right place it will break is my point, its not so much choke as the nut behind the bolt

as i said only started shotgunning at the beginning of the year i have learnt quite a lot from what you lot have said i have left the chokes as they were i ain't doing that bad for the short time i have yo-used a shotgun. i think patience is the order of the day thanks boys for making me realise this ???

Manic choke changing is the norm with some clay shots. There`s even a speed choke spanner available. ???

I don`t necessarily agree with you PM because, if the novice is told about chokes, then multi choke guns are the way to go for flexibility and resale value. It`s not as if multi chokes are just bells and whistles they are a definite advantage provided they are not used as an excuse for bad shooting.

If a new shooter is missing shots it MIGHT be the chokes that are to blame!!

Makes a difference in your head and thats the big difference.

I seen a guy repeadily shoot foxes with a 26" full skeet gun with numbers 3 shot in it. He shoot more stuff than the rest of us put together.

I am using full cyclinder and skeet chokes for clays and decoying. I didn't think to check my chokes until after 3 days coying. taking birds well.

I focus more on using the correct shells ???

I almost never change the chokes in my gun for clays (I generally only shoot sporting), but I do always carry 2 shot sizes 7.5 & 9.

I'm not an ultra keen shot but like to break a few so I work on the basis of averages - 9's have a heck of a lot more shot in them than 7.5's so theres more chance of a hit (theres no issue about wounding with clays - it breaks or it doesn't). If the bird is going to be reasonably close, coming towards or rising up, I'll use 9's - for things going away or at some height or distance it'll be 7.5's. I don't know how much difference it actually makes but I feel more confident about it.

Most shoots I find I get through them at a similar rate.

When it comes to game shooting I do tighten up the chokes somewhat, not least because I'd rather most of the lead was in the same place so that I'd miss rather than just wound with a couple of shot.

re -- full choke , would it not be too tight for game birds , surely there would be little left of the bird to eat .

i mainly use 1/2 and 1/4 or 3/4 in my multi chokes and get decent results , but would love to be able to get that extra range and kills that a full choke might give , but i,m just not good enough ??? .

AYA 25 sidelock is a game gun. 25" barrels both barrels full or true cylinder. You can stick you fingers in the barrels as easy as lifting a 6 pack. I have used a mates years ago and it was a killer.

Now everyone is wanting 30", I have even gone that route. My mate just bought a 32" for clays.

It won't be long until the old Greener 36" goose gun will be standard game or clay material :lol::lol:

Gun and cartridge choice is like choosing condoms, if it feel good and does the job well and give you confidence, use it. :lol::lol: