muntjac stalking

Just got back from my mornings stalk with Jason which was great fun and very exciting, will do a proper write up but I am going to attempt to skin and butcher the buck now :wacko:

Don't hesitate to book a stalk, its an excellent experience and has taught me a lot so hopefully I am going to thin the population of west cambs down (and eat a shed load of fine fresh meat :angry: )

ben

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
If it is cleared for 243, can I then use it there or do I have to let me FEO clear it ? I need to get deer added to my ticket anyway :rolleyes: I have land with Fallow on but only asked for fox when I first applied for my 243 as wanted to avoid some hassle :yes:

Ground cleared so not a problem

Jason

I have land with Fallow on but only asked for fox when I first applied for my 243 as wanted to avoid some hassle :yes:

This is good enough reason for having Deer added.

Or just ring your FEO and tell them you have booked a stalk, they may want a letter or just ask for contact details for who you are going with. No hassles really.

This is good enough reason for having Deer added.

Or just ring your FEO and tell them you have booked a stalk, they may want a letter or just ask for contact details for who you are going with. No hassles really.

Na I avoided the hassle of them asking for me to have DSC level 1. Wonder if they will ask me to get it? :mad:

I did my first stalk with Jason yesterday afternoon, and can add to the list of very satisfied customers. The beasts were certainly there, but not exactly cooperating! I think we saw 16 or 17 in all, maybe half of which were well into cover.

A few times we were gaining ground well only to have our approach blown by wood pigeon or pheasants bursting noisily from cover. It was getting very near the end of the two hours, when just after one such "ruined" stalk we saw a doe enter a field not too far from the end of a ride.

We both got right down and crawled as she worked her way over the field first going right, then once she reached the far side she worked back left again which brought us the chance of a shot.

I took the shot at just on 6PM which was when we were due to finish. She dropped dead on the spot, a nice sized doe for me to take home.

I now have her laid on the kitchen counter and am about to skin/butcher... I may be some time!

For a while it really did look like we might actually blank, and I would have accepted that as just one of those things. Jason is very good to get along with, it was enjoyable just to be there in such surroundings.

Looking forward to another day. :yes:

Edited by john_r

• 2 weeks later...

My pal Duncan and I had a late afternoon / early evening stalk with Jason on Tuesday.

We too saw plenty of animals but they were very mobile for the first couple of hours and was unable to set the cross-hairs on any during the first half of the stalk.

Moved to another wood and we soon saw a few bolting away. About half way through the wood we spotted a young buck standing proud in the field that had not seen us. Jason and I crawled on our hands and knees for at least 50 yards; Jason set the rifle on the bipod after what seemed like an eternity of move / freeze sequences as the buck got his head down feeding in between looking around (particularly in our direction it seemed). Just as we were pretty much set he moved just far enough away to prevent a shot and finally set off running. We were so quiet and were amazed how, with all the background noise - farm machinery, he singled us out.

Onto another wood; nothing for a while then as we approached the track we saw a couple set off away but one remained. Turned out to be a very bold medal grade buck, I watched him in the cross-hairs for quite a while and was ideally positioned for a certain kill if he hadn't been such a prized specimen. Amazingly he seemed completely unfazed by Jason trying to get his attention (he had his head down and obviouslly had the serious munchies) and only trotted off when we walked down the track and got level with him. Amazing considering how "jumpy" the others had been prior to that.

Further on then; when one of the farm hands passed us on his quad enroute to feed the pheasants I was sure we were doomed to a blank. Not the case at all as it seemed to attract quite a bit of wildlife towards the track. As we approached a dog leg in the path Jason spotted a doe feeding; we approached cautiously and Jason set the rifle on the bipod with me following up stealthily behind and taking my position looking ahead through the scope. As it turned out it was like a scene from a disney film / farm-yard - at one point just through the sight of the scope alone I could see two muntjac does along with a pair of squirrels and also a couple pheasants (quite a distractin I have to say). Turns out there were three does in view but one was out of view of the scope. Waited a while and finally the doe I was focussing on turned the right way and BANG!

Instant kill but I suspected I'd placed the shot a little further back from where I would have preferred. After several handshakes, words of congratulations and a couple moans from me complaining about my shoulder from the recoil (my left shoulder is real weak from a near separation from it I suffered a few years ago) we went forwards and inspected the kill. Sure enough, shot placed further back than I would have liked but nevertheless a clean kill.

So, Duncan's turn; we stalked a couple groups and came close but they were just not playing ball (either too far away and obscured behind a feeder pen or at the wrong angle / on the move). As a final attempt we moved out to the fields to see if anything was having a mooch around; alas to no avail.

All in all we both had a terrific afternoon with Jason. He immediately made us feel welcome and as at ease as anyone can be in doing this kind of thing for the first time in an unfamiliar environment. Jason is a genuine, decent bloke who does his best for you and we have no qualms wholeheartedly recommending him and his services.

Thank-you Jason! :oops:

Hi all

Went out this morning with Jason-aka munjackstalker.

I left the house 3:15ish this morning (it killed me getting up) and arrived at jasons at about 6:25, a quick cuppa and we set out. The first couple of fields we walked across we didn't see a bean the Jason spotted one in the distance (eyes like a hawk it looked like a dot to me) we walked around to get a closer look but she spotted us a sprinted off into the cover (a very large hare hoped right by, could of kicked it, it was that close).

We then walked up into the woods the munties were sprinting off in all directions untill we walked round a bend and there were two munties a buck and a doe right there munching away unaware we were the less then 10m away. walked around the back of a bush and stopped, I took the shot and the doe took a couple of steps and the hit the ground.

I had a brill morning, that part of the country is just spectacular I am still smiling now. It was well well worth getting up at 3:00 and would recommend jasons stalking to everyone can't wait to do it again.

Richard

MJS, regarding the gold medal buck, I am assuming it will set up on a full shoulder mount? can you please tell me how/where you remove the head the best way for the taxidermist?

Congratulations, by the way, he must be dead chuffed :yes:

Hi there,

Correct,full shoulder mount.The most common mistake is to remove skin to close 2 the head itself.To be completly safe skin from

middle of beast back 2 the head then with skin looped over the head remove head at top of neck unless you are 2 skin whole head out[not easy especially in gland area under eyes,best to let taxidermist do that]

hope this helps

Jason

Was out with Jason last week for a very enjoyable and successful stalk. Have known Jason on the field of play and in the field, a gent and true sportsman. I understand a few days left, book soon not long left. A genuine welcoming guy.

Stalkers breakfast was pretty good J.

Tabs

Went out with Jason on Friday morning. Was a bit strange as I only live in the next village, so nice not to have to get up several hours before the meet up.

Walked out form the from the Jason's house and within a few minutes spotted one several fields away in the distance. Not long after we had a doe in the field opposite and the rifle on the sticks. Unfortunately (for us), she stayed on the other side of the hedge and no shot was taken.

We stalked of and through the woods, seeing several white tails bounce around infront of us as we stalked. We came across a particularly fine buck in a ride who just stood and stared at us (must have know we were after does). Shortly after, we stalked up to a doe and took her.

All in all, a very good morning. Challenging stalking with plenty of muntjac and great company. Many thanks to Jason.