Help with a cylinder-bore shotgun

Shuck.

Can any one help

theres a single barrel shotgun i fell in love with but it has a cylinder bore barrel.. is there any gunsmiths or cheap fixes i can do so i can actually make use of the gun? (will be shooting sporting clays and hopefully pigeons some day).

I am used to getting the long/high birds on the clays so I really need a fix!

also prices would be greatly appreciated, also if the barrel is modified (a choke thread added) does it need to be re-proofed? :good:

It is NOT a single shot it is a 3 shot pump

thanks alot very grateful of replies & advice :good:

Edited THRICE for clarity

Edited by Shuck.

Hi

What are you going to be shooting with it

Geordie

A few clays maybe but hoping to go into the pest control, pigeons and maybe bunnies

Whats wrong with cylinder? I use clinder and quarter for much of my shooting!

Is it only a single barrel gun?

Yes sorry, single barrel, what do you find cylinder good for?

to be honest ive never shot cylinder before.. just used to shooting full choke and im thinking id have to try and modify it if its not too much expensive

Edited by Shuck.

With a load of 32 g 6's a cylinder choked gun will kill pigeons and rabbits out to 30-35 yards or so. Would be a great skeet (singles) gun.

You can have choke tubes installed on most guns, providing there is enough metal at the muzzles. Since it is a single barrel you could get a comp-n-choke installed which is a cylinder that is soldered to the end of the barrel that is adjustable for choke.

Thanks,

Rick

thanks for the reply, i thought about it and theres enough holes in my full choked guns patterns, i feel that if id start shooting with a wider spread id lose confidence.

@ casts_fly_by

i like the sound of the choke you mention, how much do ya think it would set me back and would it need to be reproofed if the barrel was soldered?

ta

Edited by Shuck.

If your only used to shooting full choke that is probably where the problem lies. If your full choke is producing patterns full of holes then something is wrong with the gun or your cartridges. To be honest full choke is really only suitable for long range stuff and actually makes hitting close or normal range targets more difficult and destroys meat when you do make contact.

Honestly cylinder choke will be fine up to normal distances, ie 30 - 40 yards.

If your only used to shooting full choke that is probably where the problem lies. If your full choke is producing patterns full of holes then something is wrong with the gun or your cartridges. To be honest full choke is really only suitable for long range stuff and actually makes hitting close or normal range targets more difficult and destroys meat when you do make contact.

Honestly cylinder choke will be fine up to normal distances, ie 30 - 40 yards.

:good: I think ill have to try it out, but then again id want to have the option of tightening the choke a little so as not to restrict myself on longer birds :good:

What kind of range would i find myself shooting pigeons?

think id still prefer the extra choke if i could get it though :yes:

:good: I think ill have to try it out, but then again id want to have the option of tightening the choke a little so as not to restrict myself on longer birds :good:

What kind of range would i find myself shooting pigeons?

think id still prefer the extra choke if i could get it though :yes:

When decoying the aim is to lure them within range ie 20 - 30 ish yards. Roost shooitng or flight lining and they could be higher ie 40 - 45 yards or more. Just wait until they are in range and use a decent cartridge.

How much is the gun? You can pick up cheap sxs non ejectors for less than £100 that will be more useful!

With a load of 32 g 6's a cylinder choked gun will kill pigeons and rabbits out to 30-35 yards or so. Would be a great skeet (singles) gun.

You can have choke tubes installed on most guns, providing there is enough metal at the muzzles. Since it is a single barrel you could get a comp-n-choke installed which is a cylinder that is soldered to the end of the barrel that is adjustable for choke.

Thanks,

Rick

i use a double barrel with cylinder (and the other barrel is 5 thousands so near as damn it cylinder) 32g 6 lyalvale is a very good cartridge in it for pigeon and rabbit and ive also found three crowns (hull) 30g no. 5 to be useful fact is within about 25-30yards you are more likely to hit the vitals because of the spread (and multitude) of shot with that set up than you are with full choke - i would also point out that holes in patterns vary from gun to gun and depend on the cartridges you use (mine throws a very even 60inch pattern at 30 yards with no holes in either 5's or 6's)

Edited by JamesLeic

The gun will be fine for messing about but rubbish on pairs at clays. How fast can you reload mate ? :good::good:

FAST :yes: it is a 3 shot

A decent cartridge with a low muzzle velocity and good hard shot, none of your cheap ****, will give you a good killing pattern up to 40 yards, but I would recommend that you pattern it first, before you take it out on wildlife.

So you reckon if I used a clay cart that the pattern would be all over the place? Must admit I dont like shelling out on expensive carts for clays.. ..or do you mean as long as there not stupidly cheap?

If I do buy the gun id definitely pattern it before going at live game so dont worry :good:

When decoying the aim is to lure them within range ie 20 - 30 ish yards. Roost shooitng or flight lining and they could be higher ie 40 - 45 yards or more. Just wait until they are in range and use a decent cartridge.

How much is the gun? You can pick up cheap sxs non ejectors for less than £100 that will be more useful!

Its just a matter of luring them in then, I have other guns so this would probably be most used on the clays, which Im concerned about range!

The gun is around £500 but i havent seen them anywhere so thats why im asking

i use a double barrel with cylinder (and the other barrel is 5 thousands so near as damn it cylinder) 32g 6 lyalvale is a very good cartridge in it for pigeon and rabbit and ive also found three crowns (hull) 30g no. 5 to be useful fact is within about 25-30yards you are more likely to hit the vitals because of the spread (and multitude) of shot with that set up than you are with full choke - i would also point out that holes in patterns vary from gun to gun and depend on the cartridges you use (mine throws a very even 60inch pattern at 30 yards with no holes in either 5's or 6's)

I see so it wouldnt be as good as with smaller shot, more along the lines of 7.5 as it would mainly be used for clays

I see so it wouldnt be as good as with smaller shot, more along the lines of 7.5 as it would mainly be used for clays

I wouldnt necessarily say that but what i would say is your pattern will be larger than with full chokes (so you wont necessarily be hitting each clay with as many pellets, but it will be alot harder to miss) now if it takes say 5 pellets to break a clay with 7 1/2 (example only here guys!) you may find it pays to move up a size where it only takes 3 or 4 you will probably find that your pattern is more deadly if you just clip the clays (as i said tho at short range especially your pattern should be a hell of a lot bigger so it should be harder to miss in the first place).

Main thing is use the pattern boards and find a good load with no holes, then go up or down sizes to tase (either bigger more dense pattern or hitting power depending on your preference)

Edited by JamesLeic

As a very rough rule of thumb a single barreled gun should cost between £25 and £150 unless it is something very special. At £500 i thought you might have been looking at a single barreled trap gun until you mentioned that it was cylinder bored and FIRED 3 SHOTS.

Are you sure that the gun is`nt an automatic?

500 pounds for a single shot shotgun? I think you'd be much better off to look at other guns. A single shot for clays or pigeons will be a dead end, and later you'll regret any money put into it.

Pete

I forgot to say in the main post but I said in a reply its not a single shot it would be a pump, I'd never pay more then 100 for a single shot! thanks for the concern though mate :good:

As a very rough rule of thumb a single barreled gun should cost between £25 and £150 unless it is something very special. At £500 i thought you might have been looking at a single barreled trap gun until you mentioned that it was cylinder bored and FIRED 3 SHOTS.

Are you sure that the gun is`nt an automatic?

No its a pump action :good:

I wouldnt necessarily say that but what i would say is your pattern will be larger than with full chokes (so you wont necessarily be hitting each clay with as many pellets, but it will be alot harder to miss) now if it takes say 5 pellets to break a clay with 7 1/2 (example only here guys!) you may find it pays to move up a size where it only takes 3 or 4 you will probably find that your pattern is more deadly if you just clip the clays (as i said tho at short range especially your pattern should be a hell of a lot bigger so it should be harder to miss in the first place).

Main thing is use the pattern boards and find a good load with no holes, then go up or down sizes to tase (either bigger more dense pattern or hitting power depending on your preference)

Thats quite reassuring James and I understand what youre saying but Id be really bummed if I took it to a range and there were just high birds, I think an adjustable choke would benfit me.

I wouldnt change a thing if I was going to be shooting skeet or dtl, but I only do sporting and Im quite used to high/long birds :good:

Hi'

Two things spring to mind. TC and pump - single slug, practical shotgun (I think that's what it's called). If it is bored TC, ie the cylinder is true, the odds are it will shooter more open. My gut feeling, for what it's worth, avoid it.

Cheers,

PS Five thou is IC and the jump between TC and the next degree of (British) choke, IC, is double all the other steps up.

Hi'

Two things spring to mind. TC and pump - single slug, practical shotgun (I think that's what it's called). If it is bored TC, ie the cylinder is true, the odds are it will shooter more open. My gut feeling, for what it's worth, avoid it.

Cheers,

PS Five thou is IC and the jump between TC and the next degree of (British) choke, IC, is double all the other steps up.

Hi

I dont know what you mean, youre saying that I shouldnt get it because its got a wider choke then single slug?

Its an american gun if thats any help but Im really just trying to find out how expensive it would be to put a choke on it :good:

thanks for the reply, i thought about it and theres enough holes in my full choked guns patterns, i feel that if id start shooting with a wider spread id lose confidence.

@ casts_fly_by

i like the sound of the choke you mention, how much do ya think it would set me back and would it need to be reproofed if the barrel was soldered?

ta

I got my names mixed up. I meant a polychoke:

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

They are $150 or so plus install, which I couldn't even begin to quote.

Frankly, if you're spending 500 quid on a pump, you should get one that is choked how you want. You can get a brand new Nova for 500 quid and it will come multichoked with 3 or 5 chokes. If you want a wood frame, you can get a wingmaster or Mossberg for even less.

Thanks

Rick

Well cheers for the info mate you make a very good point..its a bit much to just spend on a pump without being able to use it to its full potential.

Im just pressuring myself into it as Ive never seen one of these guns in the country :good:

Id never spend that much on an over&under and could get a pretty smart SbS for that money..

Cheers casts_fly_by :yes:

What make / model of gun is it? Its just my experience but most pump actions I have seen have been cheap and have not pointed or shot as well as an O/U S/S etc. Cylinder choke in a pump points to it being designed to fire solid slug which may mean it is more set up like a rifle making shotgun shooting difficult.

I would steer clear of it and spend the money on a proper shotgun, or save it!

What make / model of gun is it? Its just my experience but most pump actions I have seen have been cheap and have not pointed or shot as well as an O/U S/S etc. Cylinder choke in a pump points to it being designed to fire solid slug which may mean it is more set up like a rifle making shotgun shooting difficult.

I would steer clear of it and spend the money on a proper shotgun, or save it!

Mossberg 590, its not really imported from the USA as the main use of them is home defence.

They pass all stringent military tests and get taken to Afghanistan etc

Im an avid enhusiast though and things like this make me excited :good:

I dont doubt though, that I could go to USA and pick one up brand spank for £200 MAX

Just get the 500. They are the same gun except for the extended magazine on the 590. Since you're talking about it on an SGC anyway, the extended magazine is immaterial. Find a 500 with choke tubes and a synthetic stock and you'll be far better off.

The cylinder choke in that gun is for buckshot at close ranges.

Thanks

Rick