pet insurance whos hot and whos not

decoying mad

its tricky I'm with petplan and that has doubled in two years despite no claims and the dog being 2,

I'd suggest shopping round just check the levels of cover and ongoing treatment cover very carefully. You also have the working dog issue but if its a pet that occasionally goes shooting its not worth making an issue of.

I did a lot of shopping around recently and ended up with Direct Line. I was with Royal Sun Alliance through MoreThan, but the cheeky b*stards tried to sneak a new excess onto my policy which went from £70 per claim to £80 plus 10% of the final bill!

Same as above.

I am thinking next year I will put all the pet insurance money into a fund and cover the bills myself. All in I reckon I am paying £2k a year.

There are two types; cover for life and annual. The cover for life does not go up when you make a claim and won't be cancelled because the dog is prone to illness or injury after making a claim. Annual cover is cheaper, but will go up with a bumpif you claim and they might refuse to renew cover in some cases.

Petplan and Marks & Spencers are recommended by little wife, and she should know, being in the accounts dept of a large veterinary group :hmm:

its tricky I'm with petplan and that has doubled in two years despite no claims and the dog being 2,

I'd suggest shopping round just check the levels of cover and ongoing treatment cover very carefully. You also have the working dog issue but if its a pet that occasionally goes shooting its not worth making an issue of.

Alex, have you had to make a claim off petplan at all? We took our border collie pup for his first jabs yesterday and they offered us petplan free for 4 weeks then pay into it if we like the terms. Just wondered if you had ever needed to claim and if so did they pay out okay?

nope no claims here, I'm told by vets in the family that they are one of the better suppliers and I think are the ones that do the insurance for BASC for dogs. My main issue with them is £10.50 the first year went to £14.50 and now to £19.50 and that is without making a claim with a young dog I can see it fairly quickly being not worth insuring after all that is more than I pay for car insurance. £20 a month chucked in a savings account goes a long way to paying vets bills over a dogs lifetime.

There are two types; cover for life and annual. The cover for life does not go up when you make a claim and won't be cancelled because the dog is prone to illness or injury after making a claim. Annual cover is cheaper, but will go up with a bumpif you claim and they might refuse to renew cover in some cases.

Petplan and Marks & Spencers are recommended by little wife, and she should know, being in the accounts dept of a large veterinary group :good:

blimey the cover for life for mine would be basically double the existing premium about £410 a year for a 2 year old dog crazy money

blimey the cover for life for mine would be basically double the existing premium about £410 a year for a 2 year old dog crazy money

If you get the annual policy and the dog gets an ongoing problem then they will not renew cover after the current policy has expired. That's the dilemma you face. All my wife's colleagues at the vets have their pets insured. That tells you a lot.

Be sure to read the policy. I just lost a best friend and took it in the backside over the vets bills because about 5 years ago I was too focused about the premium as opposed to the cover.

I maintain that if you dont get pet insurance and put the £30.00 (for example) away in a savings account every month for every month of a dogs life, that you will come out on top after all the vets bills :yes:

Our dog was 13 years old and we insured him as a pup - 13 x 12 x £30 = £ 4680.00 plus the shamefully low interest rates :lol: (at one point we had two dogs too :oops: )

If you get the annual policy and the dog gets an ongoing problem then they will not renew cover after the current policy has expired. That's the dilemma you face. All my wife's colleagues at the vets have their pets insured. That tells you a lot.

yup that their boss is tight and doesn't give a discount to them :yes:

I'm with you ME I think its the way to go but would insure for a year or two in case of fundamental problems. I'll wait till my bitch has her first litter and put the money from a couple of pups in an account and pay in monthly on top, should sort most things. Plus I get drugs at cost and have relatives who can do non urgent treatment so am fairly safe on that front

yup that their boss is tight and doesn't give a discount to them :good:

Couldn't be further from the truth. He is the most generous employer I've ever come across. :rolleyes:

Our 'basket case' springer has cost us and PetPlan an absolute fortune. I dread to think how much she would have cost us without insurance and discount.