Whats the best weather for decoying

crocket

Hi all

I am pretty new to this pigeon decoying game, regarding the weather, are there days when it's not worth bothering and are there days it would be sin not to go and drop a few.

Sigmund Freud:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

Windy days are in my mind many many times better than still days. Pick a day when its breezy and you've won half the battle. Ideally I reckon something in the region of 10-15 mph breeze but at this time of year you can have too much wind as the majority of young birds have not built up enough muscle to cope with higher windspeeds. Tomorrow being a prime example.....forecast is 25 mph on met office website so I duly expect 9/10 of the pigeons to **** orf downwind and be reluctant to come back upwind again, despite how hard I push the *******. Cant say I blame 'em either! Given a choice between sunshine or cloudy skies I'd say cloudy as with bright weather gun barrels, your face, upside down shot birds etc all show up much more so you have to be much more careful and pay attention to detail.

Anyway.... good luck.

Will's advice is spot on.

Just like to add that if you go out on a perfectly still day, any movement you make will be seen by the birds much easier compared to a breezy day when all surrounding trees and bushes will also be moving and your movements appear not so obvious.

If I shoot on a still day, I have learned to avoid any movement to the very last second, keeping well hidden in an effective hide, using a face mask and gloves; then yes you can achieve some good sport.

WF

Crocket the first rule of pigeon shooting is that there are no rules! :lol: I`ve had bags of 30 or 40 on very still days with strong sun and high pressure. :) Although preferable, it doesn`t need to be windy, cloudy or low pressure to attract pigeons and kill `em! They must feed somewhere and it`s up to you to convince them that just in front of your hide is the place to be. ;)

If you wait for ideal conditions you won`t be getting out and shooting them very often. :<

• 3 weeks later...
Windy days are in my mind many many times better than still days. Pick a day when its breezy and you've won half the battle. Ideally I reckon something in the region of 10-15 mph breeze but at this time of year you can have too much wind as the majority of young birds have not built up enough muscle to cope with higher windspeeds. Tomorrow being a prime example.....forecast is 25 mph on met office website so I duly expect 9/10 of the pigeons to **** orf downwind and be reluctant to come back upwind again, despite how hard I push the *******. Cant say I blame 'em either! Given a choice between sunshine or cloudy skies I'd say cloudy as with bright weather gun barrels, your face, upside down shot birds etc all show up much more so you have to be much more careful and pay attention to detail.

Anyway.... good luck.

IM WITH WILL ON THIS ONE :lol::lol:

The weather can be really critical, same applies with fishing I've often found. Had a drive out yesterday and it was miserable, windy (good!) but rain and cold, found some pigeons tracking out to a field of bean stubble in nice little bunches and headed off there this morning for a go at them. Weather warmer, breezy and sunny, odd pigeons here and there but very little movement. Had a good drive round to check the isolated rape fields on a few of my shoots but same story everywhere; pigeons sitting about sunning themselves in the trees and the odd few flying out to the rape. Nothing to set up on so home early and into town to do the banking, even the town ferals were sunbathing !, maybe they take every chance when it's a bit warmer after wet, miserable days ?.

Would have been better off out with the ferrets today, will have another look at the woodies later in the week if weather grets a bit rougher.

Anyway.... good luck.

I agree with the boys, You wont get better advise than Wills, on this one

pavman

• 3 weeks later...

Bert,

They can't see the deeks when there is snow on the ground - a rotary (or 2) is absolutely essential if you are to have any luck.

My preferred weather conditions are 100% cloud cover, very good visibility, i.e no fog or low cloud, and a moderate breeze.

Shooting in gale force winds can be great fun, but the kills to cartridges ratio is pretty poor, as they turn quickly on the wind and are soon out of range, (unless you happen to be Rob Reynolds UK), in which case anything under 90 yards is stone dead. :thumbs:

Of absolute importance, (and here's where a lot of newbies go wrong), is to make

sure that you do a proper recce, and work out exactly where to place your hide and deek pattern, before you set foot on the field.

I often spend more time doing recce's than I do actually shooting, but it's usually worth it.

Catamong.

Edited by Catamong

I agree. Time spent watching birds, with binos, will be repaid a hundredfold!! I would add that waiting for the right weather conditions doesn`t kill pigeons, and if you only have one day a week to shoot, beggars can`t be choosers. Similarly if setting up to get the best conditions, with reference to the sun, wind etc. puts you on the wrong part of the field, you may struggle.

Shooting in gale force winds can be great fun, but the kills to cartridges ratio is pretty poor, as they turn quickly on the wind and are soon out of range, (unless you happen to be Rob Reynolds UK), in which case anything under 90 yards is stone dead.  :thumbs:

Catamong.

i am the man that pigeons fear as i am the man who can out shoot you mear mortals :D im going to try and see if i can hit one out to 100yrds this saturday coming useing no9s and 1/4 choke :D

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

Bert,

Like me, you've probably got better things to do with your time.

Don't forget, Recce properly, make a plan, try and get other rape fields in the area covered by:a) your mates, :/ gas guns c) rope bangers d) plastic bags e) scarecrows, and you have a good chance of success.

Let us all know how you get on.

Catamong.

P.S. If you share a field with Rob Reynolds UK, make sure you're at least 150 yards away from his hide, otherwise be prepared to duck when that woodie comes streaking towards you....!!!!

:thumbs: :D:D

Edited by Catamong

If you share a field with Rob Reynolds UK, make sure you're at least 150 yards away from his hide, otherwise be prepared to duck when that woodie comes streaking towards you....!!!!

Do you think 150 is going to be far enough ?? :thumbs: :D:D:/

Edited by hawkeye

Well i think i must of shot in every single type of weather possible, and ive found that the worst days are ones where the wind is light, its raining constantly or it has snowed! Idealy a windy day, no rain, slightly cloudy, rain not only spoils the pigeons coming in but also the whole day as you aswel as all ytour gear will be soaked. I will be wanting to go ferreting this sunday, but from what the weather says i think im going to get rather wet! i wish that a good day will come around, loads of wind, slightly cold, cloudy with no rain so i can get out on the rape fields,

Alex

I've not done much shooting in snow but I heard a tip that it can be sometimes be a help, not a hindrance! Apparently you gotta find the corners of fields that have been sheltered from the worst of it, i.e. where the snow is thinnest on the ground and thats where the birds will head to. Anyone have any experience of this?