Can you legally use a .222 on Muntjac?

Evil Elvis

I think that post was just saying that like conditions the clearing or an area of land doesn't make all that land safe to shoot on. My ground is cleared for .243 and that is the entire farm, including round houses, byways footpaths etc etc. It is purely down to you to ensure the shot is safe and take the repercussions if it is not. It does make the clearing proces a bit of nonsense really.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharpshot.

You have broken the law under the Deer Act twice. Both have been mentioned. One is that you shot a deer (and if you check the act, no deer are classed as vermin) after one hour beyond sunset. The other is to use a below legal level of bullet grain to do so. If your FAC does not read 'shall be used for the Shooting Deer and any other lawful quarry' then again you have broken the law under the Firearms Act 1968. Which in plane simple terms you have not adhered to the conditions of your FAC.

Now as I’ll know someone who knows your FEO, if you like i'll pass your call name onto him and ask that he investigates these events you have accredited yourself with. Can i strongly suggest that until you confirm you have a licence provided by NE/Wildlife trust to shoot deer at night (- for anyone else reading this, in the UK even the FC get red taped so deeply they rarely apply for these) and - they don’t hand them out willy-nilly to recreational stalkers like you and l.

Can i strongly suggest that you don’t shoot a sodding deer again till you know what you are doing.

Excuse my ignorance chaps but what's 'FC?' You know damn well it's gonna click just as I upload this message! :mad:

...and also just for the sake of clarity, Deer cannot be shot at night, only between one hour before sunrise and up to one hour after sunset.

I'm sure the OP is aware of this

Strangley enough, thats how i found out that they are there, i have lamped them while rabbit shooting and obviously while having an innapropriate calibre, i couldnt shoot them as a: i had a hmr with me and b: it was night! :yes:

But now i have the appropriate calibre they had better watch out! :yes:

...and also just for the sake of clarity, Deer cannot be shot at night, only between one hour before sunrise and up to one hour after sunset.

I'm sure the OP is aware of this but just stating for safety's sake as at least one person (and probably only one) thought it was ok to lamp Deer! What's next? Wild Boar with a FAC Air rifle?

Hi Colster

Actually you can get air rifles that are well capable of taking wild boar they have been used on pig bison and bear and some of the big stuff in Africa i think they go up to .50 calibre certainley .308, so why not wild boar over here with an fac air rifle

Cheers Geordie

QUOTE (Colster @ Mar 11 2010, 06:51 AM)

I'm sure the OP is aware of this but just stating for safety's sake as at least one person (and probably only one) thought it was ok to lamp Deer! What's next? Wild Boar with a FAC Air rifle?

Hi Colster

Actually you can get air rifles that are well capable of taking wild boar they have been used on pig bison and bear and some of the big stuff in Africa i think they go up to .50 calibre certainley .308, so why not wild boar over here with an fac air rifle

Cheers Geordie

lets not get too deep on a comment here....

Someone may well proove me wrong but I think you will tend to find the outrageously large calibre and powerful air rifles are basically, tests and experiments in what is possible.

Very few if any are practical shooting tools, one shot, one charge and a team of technicians and a truck following you around all day!!

:welcomeani::hmm:

Yes, please let's not have a discussion about whether you can kill Wild Boar with an Air rifle, it was intended as a flippant comment, the minimum calibre for wild boar in this country is MORE than the minimum for Roe Deer. They are big, tough beasts and do not go down easily, air pellets just tick them off. You have been warned!

Edited by Colster

:welcomeani: Funny enough, I was looking at a sight in America where a guys uses a 500ft/lbs air rifles to hunt elk and grizzly bears, he uses a one ounce slug and has shot elks in the chest and had exit wounds in the rear hindquarter!!!! The gun he uses you only get 2 shots so if you are shooting grizzly you had better make damn sure you kill it first shot!!!

I also witnessed a massacre of egyptian geese on a lake in Belgium, the owner wanted them removed and the guy who kille dthe whole flock used a high powered air rifle 200flt/lbs+ with 9mm slugs....absolutely devestated each one...instant death!! :hmm:

believe in everything you read do you. your very quick to pass judgment. i havnt owned a .222 for quiet some time now. as is on my info bit i have just .22lr for bunnys 17 hmr for buny and fox and .223 for fox. I have merely just proved to a friend of mine how people are quick to critisize other methods in shooting. somebody called me arrogant but that itself is just ignorance. im sorry if i offended anyone tonight that wasnt my intention. i stick to the rules as im sure you all do. safe shooting and goodnight

Looks like you're really going for it. 17 hmr for fox? Don't think so?

Looks like you're really going for it. 17 hmr for fox? Don't think so?

Chap, chill out, I am not supporting sharpshot in any way here but my .22lr, HMR and WMR are ALL conditioned for fox, as well as all my centrefires.

The rimfire debate for fox will rage on but many of us do have the condition for fox!

ATB!! :welcomeani:

Chap, chill out, I am not supporting sharpshot in any way here but my .22lr, HMR and WMR are ALL conditioned for fox, as well as all my centrefires.

The rimfire debate for fox will rage on but many of us do have the condition for fox!

ATB!! :welcomeani:

Hi there how's it going? Am chilled.

But do seem to remember something on BASC site just after I acquired my hmr about status of them being changed as not suitable for fox. Only asking for peace of mind.

:o You can use hmr on fox, some areas will put it on your ticket, its very effective on foxes. :good:

Hi EE,

Just above the bit you quoted on cwd and muntjac is the following. Thought I'd seen it somewhere. Absolutely agree that hmr is well capable of fox.

B) Fox, hare, feral cat and similar. From here on, all cartridges will be centrefire and the bullets they fire will be jacketed since lead would strip off in the rifling at the higher velocities unless protected by (usually) a copper jacket. Either a hollow point or an exposed lead nose ensures that the bullet expands on impact and thus transmits the maximum of energy to the target for a sure, clean kill.

Just above where you found bit about CWD and muntjac.

Yes, but as they adopt the wording 'and any other legal quarry' which seems, from my own experience and from forum posts, to be getting more common, then this talk of can I/can't I shoot fox with a rimfire is done with - yes you can, if you have that condition.

Hi there how's it going? Am chilled.

But do seem to remember something on BASC site just after I acquired my hmr about status of them being changed as not suitable for fox. Only asking for peace of mind.

To the best of my knowledge they never have been classed as suitable under the Home Office guidelines, actually the HMR did not even get a mention in the 2002 Home Office Guide for fox, and the general suggestion there was that NO rimfire was suitable for fox.

The point is, this is a guide, it is not Statute, there are always exceptions and always reasons, if you have a valid reason and your region is receptive, then job done, but some regions take the guidelines as Gospel and will not budge on rimfire and fox.

As already mentioned the new wording......."....any other lawful quarry......" has been agreed by ACPO to simplify all this...it's pretty obvious already that all it has done is raise more questions!! B) :lol:

:o :good:

Edited by Dekers

:o Hmmmmmmm, as its a guidline as such, and you used .hmr to kill a fox...who is going to investigate your calibre?

If your FAC doesn't list it then you can't shoot it...as regards investigaing it, well, as with so many things it only becomes a problem when you are caught!