Would you be happy enough with this group

gixer1

Are you useing home loads or factory ammo ? what gun are you useing? was you shooting from a bipod ? And no i would not be at all happy with that my self i home load 70grain nosler and shoot with a rem 700 243. i can normaly get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards at worse i get 1 inch groups.

This was shot with 90gr factory ammo off the bonnet of a car, using a weatherby vangaurd.

Out of interest why would you not be happy? any one of the 4 is a kill shot on a fox, roe or red....i'm trying to see what the opinions are of various people as some do not seem too bothered about this on the other thread whereas some are.

EDIT - Shot from here - http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=117999

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

This was shot with 90gr factory ammo off the bonnet of a car, using a weatherby vangaurd.

Out of interest why would you not be happy? any one of the 4 is a kill shot on a fox, roe or red....i'm trying to see what the opinions are of various people as some do not seem too bothered about this on the other thread whereas some are.

Regards,

Gixer

As you say yes it would be a kill i quite agree. And its about right for factory ammo thats why i like to home load i can just tighten it up a bit more so when i want to take a neck or head shot on a deer im just that bit more confident. I never seem to shoot to well of a bonnet i think you get a bit of bounce of them but that might be just me. At the end of the day its what you are happy with and confident with thats the main thing.

As you say yes it would be a kill i quite agree. And its about right for factory ammo thats why i like to home load i can just tighten it up a bit more so when i want to take a neck or head shot on a deer im just that bit more confident. I never seem to shoot to well of a bonnet i think you get a bit of bounce of them but that might be just me. At the end of the day its what you are happy with and confident with thats the main thing.

absolutly agree with you on the neck/head shots and off a bonnet is not ideal, i don't home load and it was after zeroing a new scope and I thought "i wonder what sort of group i'd get off the bonnet"

The reason it was shot off the bonnet is that most of my shooting of foxes is normally out of the window when lamping or off the bonnet so on this note i was happy with it.

I would like to het cloverleaf groups but for the type of shooting i do i guess it's not going to happen, do you think just laying prone from a bipod would bring it in alot (still using factory ammo)

I might just go out and try a group prone off the bipod tomorrow (although i'd never really shoot like this)

Thanks for the input.

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

absolutly agree with you on the neck/head shots and off a bonnet is not ideal, i don't home load and it was after zeroing a new scope and I thought "i wonder what sort of group i'd get off the bonnet"

The reason it was shot off the bonnet is that most of my shooting of foxes is normally out of the mindow when lamping or off the bonnet so on this note i was happy with it.

I would like to het cloverleaf groups but for the type of shooting i do i guess it's not going to happen, do you think just laying prone from a bipod would bring it in alot (still using factory ammo)

I might just go out and try a group prone off the bipod tomorrow (although i'd never really shoot like this)

Thanks for the input.

Gixer

I definatley think you would get tighter groups of a bipod but if you are getting what you are shooting at why bother. where abouts in aberdeenshire are you i have a good friend who lives near mint law and i have done quite a bit of roe stalking and lamping up there its a cracking part of the country and i love it up there.

Edited by crouch valley

I think that the crucial thing is if you are happy with the group. OK some might well say that you should be trying to tighten up on the group but as you say, they are all representative of a clean kill on a fox.

As I do not use a .243 (Yet) I am not in the position to comment on a group shot from that caliber but when I was using my 22-250 I worked at it and with practice got it down to a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards, which I was very happy with even though many would claim that they could do better.

To be honest, I wouldnt be happy with that. I would try some different ammo if you want to tighten the groups a bit. Failing that buy a reloading kit.

Just my opinion.

Like you say, it is within the kill zone so why worry.

My CZ .22lr shoots tight groups at 65 paces and now that has set the standard, I would worry about anything less :good:

Below is the groups it shoots with and without a moderator, same point of aim

post-17767-1268430493.jpg

I definatley think you would get tighter groups of a bipod but if you are getting what you are shooting at why bother. where abouts in aberdeenshire are you i have a good friend who lives near mint law and i have done quite a bit of roe stalking and lamping up there its a cracking part of the country and i love it up there.

I'm around the echt/dunecht area which is about an hour south west of mintlaw and as you say we are very lucky with our area when it comes to shooting.

I am happy enough with my shooting but as i said i'd like to shoot a cloverleaf for the hell of it....

To be honest, I wouldnt be happy with that. I would try some different ammo if you want to tighten the groups a bit. Failing that buy a reloading kit.

Just my opinion.

Like you say, it is within the kill zone so why worry.

My CZ .22lr shoots tight groups at 65 paces and now that has set the standard, I would worry about anything less :yes:

Below is the groups it shoots with and without a moderator, same point of aim

agree kind of SSS but a .22lr is a totally different animal to shoot a group with as there is no recoil etc i can shoot a cloverleaf with a 22lr off a bonnet (at 50yards) but not with the 243 apparently! :good:

Edited by gixer1

Hi,

If those patches are the ones I think they are, I'd be happy with that for factory ammo. If you can shoot like that off a bonnet which does tend to bounce, as cv says, think what you could do with home loads!

Cheers

it's the shoot'n'c patches and targets wymberly.

I'm around the echt/dunecht area which is about an hour south west of mintlaw and as you say we are very lucky with our area when it comes to shooting.

I am happy enough with my shooting but as i said i'd like to shoot a cloverleaf for the hell of it....

Get into home loading its a hole new ball game it will blow your mind you will definatley get your groupe tighter. It takes a bit of time to find the right load that suits your gun but its worth it. :good:

agree kind of SSS but a .22lr is a totally different animal to shoot a group with as there is no recoil etc i can shoot a cloverleaf with a 22lr off a bonnet but not with the 243 apparently! :good:

I didn't even think of that mate ;)

If you are happy with it and you get kills regularly, stick with it. You must be doing something right :yes:

If you want to shoot paper its a bad group. But if you want to stalk deer then its fine. If you can hit a beer mat at 100 yards then you are more than adequate for roe and muntjac. That goes up to a dinner plate size for Red and Fallow. I am a pretty poor rifle shot and get beer mat sized groups, still manage to grass my fair share of deer, the skill is in the stalking not the shooting.

Gents,

With the recent thread on what you expect from your rifle I was wondering, would you be happy with this group shot at 100 yards with a 243?

Regards,

Gixer

With my .22 rapid 7 I can put 5 consecutive shots down a MacDonald's milk shake straw at 100 yards.

If you want to shoot paper its a bad group. But if you want to stalk deer then its fine. If you can hit a beer mat at 100 yards then you are more than adequate for roe and muntjac. That goes up to a dinner plate size for Red and Fallow. I am a pretty poor rifle shot and get beer mat sized groups, still manage to grass my fair share of deer, the skill is in the stalking not the shooting.

Completly agree with you scolopax, the skill is getting to within 100 yards of a very alert roe! :yes: but it was fun shooting the targets! :good:

While there is a definite and enjoyable challenge in stalking deer for a good shot at the end of it, sometimes a longer shot is needed - it's at that point that being able to shoot a sub half inch group @ 100y and knowing windage and drop is really handy, so I think there's a place for both skills.

We are all different with different skills, requirements and tools.

On a bad day with poor ammo I would be happy with that group, on a good day with good ammo I would be p****d off with it.

Such is life, the quest for perfection will never be achieved by mere mortals, but perhaps a few would be happy to do a little better than that!

ATB!!

I would shoot another group off a bipod, and see what that does.

There are too many unknowns here, the reloaders are all over the fact you use factory ammo, you would look pretty daft if you got all the realoding gear only to find it is your technique that needs working on.

There is plenty of factory ammo that will shoot consistanly tight groups, you just need to find the one that suits your gun best.

For stalking at sensible distances and considering how you shot it, I would say that group is OK.

The tack drivers are well and good, but can they do it sitting/standing/kneeling/out of breath or whatever real life situation you find yourself in away from the comfort of the bipod and shooting bag at the range?