Chocolate labs

geordieh

Hi All

What do you think of chocolate labs as working dogs i have always said i wouldn't have one if it was given to me.I don't think a chocolate has won a field trial,i personally have never seen a good one working, the few i have seen have been hard mouthed, now i have just had a litter of pups and i have now got 3 blacks 2yellow and a chocolate.This has set me thinking why should the chocolate one be any worse as a working dog than her brothers and sisters just because of the colour of her coat.I am thinking of keeping her, training her up and see what she turns out like.

Geordie

Hi All

What do you think of chocolate labs as working dogs i have always said i wouldn't have one if it was given to me.I don't think a chocolate has won a field trial,i personally have never seen a good one working, the few i have seen have been hard mouthed, now i have just had a litter of pups and i have now got 3 blacks 2yellow and a chocolate.This has set me thinking why should the chocolate one be any worse as a working dog than her brothers and sisters just because of the colour of her coat.I am thinking of keeping her, training her up and see what she turns out like.

Geordie

Can't see any reason why choc labs should be any different to black since both can have the same two parents, Remy is black

his sire black dam is choc all the litter were black but a subsequent litter were all choc.The genetics of Labs is not as straight forward as Brother Mendels beans and I can get a headache trying to work out the possibilities see the Charts But as both Remy's parents are working dogs and I would not hesitate to have one of his chocolate siblings btw the breeder is a recent PW member! :good:

For roost shooting etc, wouldn't a chocolate Lab blend in better and be less likely to spook the pigeons than a black or yellow one :lol:

I doubt it makes much difference :good: I think chockies have picked up this "Can't be Gundogs" because It seems to me they are MUCH more favoured as pets and therefore when born are normally snapped up or bred just as pets and not bred to work like others. With Puppy farmers n such Breeding just chocolates for the look not much has gone into keeping there working ability, where as Blacks n some yellows are being bred selectively to work :good:

This is what I think has gone on anyways. Im sure theres plenty of working choc labs out there :lol: Also the fact there less common is probally why there are any FT CH Chocolate labs :good:

choc labs are as thick as pig **** ,how many choc ftch have you seen not many if any

Pity the season is over otherwise I'd ask you to come along and witness 2 absolutely brilliant Chocolate Labs in action.

I own a bitch that I bought as trained by the great J.Halstead and owned for the first 2 years of her life by a well known shooting magazine editor.

My brother owns a Chocolate Lab dog that he has trained from a pup with the help of Mr Halstead,he doesn't shoot but beats and trials the dog and does fairly well.

I'm what I would call an alrounder I rough shoot,beat,wildfowl,stalk,to be honest participate in all field sports,and my little bitch excels at everything.

Yes she was originaly trained to work the shoots but has adapted to everything else no problem,she even follows blood trails.

One of the things that I have come to love about her is her ability to tell me when the duck,pigeons,or whatever are on their way over well before I see them even behind thick cover and signals the direction of approach giving me time to get ready to swing onto them,I've never seen this ability in any other dog irrespective of breed.When working cover as opposed to being in a hide she works like a HPR and goes into point mode when she's onto something and waits for me to tell her to flush so once again I'm ready for the shot.

Most of my friends think I'm a good shot cos I do rather well and the freezers are always full but to be totaly honest I'm no better than average the dog tells me where and when to point the gun.

I too was once of the opinion that Chocolates are thick as pig-droppings but she has rammed it home just what a narrow minded view I held.

Mike...

choc labs are as thick as pig **** ,how many choc ftch have you seen not many if any

Read my post above. Thats probally the main reason there isnt a chcolate FTCH, because theres alot less of them being worked. If every chocolate born had been snapped up by gundog trainers unlike pet owners I have no doubt there would be a few chocolate ftch's :lol: