Unimogs off road

njc110381

I spent the weekend playing with some Mogs a couple of weeks ago and figured some of you guys would be interested to see what went on. I'm hoping to buy one in a year or so and wanted to get a feel for them so trotted off down to Portsmouth to meet up with a few guys who drive them as toys. It was a good weekend, I slept in a bivi bag in the bed of my 110 pickup with a tarp over the top! Talk about storm warning, most of the other campers with regular tents had leaks! I'm glad I wasn't on the ground!

There were some videos taken of the Mogs in the mud. It really helped me to decide what I want because I could see them all side by side and get the idea of their size, comfort levels etc.

The U1300L.. Nice truck but a bit big for me!..

The U1000.. You can just see me in the passenger seat with clenched cheeks. That was steep!

Oops, wrong gear!

And the U900. My favourite, which happens to be the oldest, smallest and cheapest Mog there. I think I'll go for one of these. It did very well, has the same ground clearance as the U1000 but is lower so tree branches are less of a threat..

The vidoes really don't show how deep and nasty these sections were. To give some idea there were two Defenders and a Suzuki SJ drowned over the weekend. Two came back to life but sadly one of the Defenders was no more. All sucked in enough water to wash down the car park! It wasn't pretty :good:

You can get about 15mpg out of the smaller ones. That's not all that bad really, no worse than a V8 Landy. They can be run on red but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It's not like I'm going to be trecking all around the country in it. If I do ten miles a day I'm doing well!

Cost wise, the little green U900 would be about £8k, the square cabs maybe £12k for a good one. Then you can go all the way up to £100k+ for a new U5000! I only want it to run a chipper and tow a bigger trailer than I can with my Landy so I don't need a posh new one.

The way I see it I need a new chipper. I'm looking at £5k for a decent roller feed model and I'll need to take a test to tow it, or £1500 for a similar spec PTO powered version that I can just shove on a Mog and drive with my current license. Then I can run all sorts of other kit off of the PTO too. Honestly it's a toy really, but it will be good for work too.

while its running the chipper you know it'll be doing zero MPG :good:

its definitely one to get registered as an agricultural vehicle and run on red. A bit naughty but if you gen up on the regs its hard for them to proove anything else. Its not like it looks like a leisure vehicle. Can you find a way of front mounting the chipper and then you just unhitch the trailer when you want to run it

Edited by al4x

They're often taxed as Agricultural vehicles. I guess red would be ok. I'll be doing flail work and paddock mowing with it too so it will be honestly used for "red" jobs for 50% of its life anyway. It does have genuine use as a tractor so you have a very good point.

EDIT... They have a front PTO and Schmidt plate/3 point so they can run on the front just as easily as the back. Or you can get an extension so you can tow and rear mount the chipper at the same time. To be honest I doubt I'll ever create more than 3 tons of chip at a time anyway so I wont need to carry the chipper and tow at the same time.

Edited by njc110381

If you do buy one, don't get one from atkinson vos, they have a reputation for tarting up mogs, and telling slight untruths about them.

A great machine though, in the future i'm looking to get a 406.

they also go way over 100k, you can get a amg black one that will do 70.

Believe it or not I don't really like the light range of new Mogs, I think they're ugly! Give me a square cab U5000 though and I'd be well happy! Even a U1600 would be perfect for me and they're a lot cheaper.

I can afford a U900/1100 or U1000. I recon a better condition U900/1100 would be a better bet than a shabby U1000, they cost about the same. Maybe I could push for a reasonable U1000 or U1200, I need to see how much work I can get for it really.

When I said 100K I was talking pounds rather than speed. All the big ones will do the national speed limit :good:

I emailed them about a U1100 they have but they didn't get back to me. Perhaps they didn't get it because I've only heard good reports about them?

I would like to get one from a dealer. I get the impression some of the major fixes can cost a fortune so private would be a bit dodgy for me!

I emailed them about a U1100 they have but they didn't get back to me. Perhaps they didn't get it because I've only heard good reports about them?

I would like to get one from a dealer. I get the impression some of the major fixes can cost a fortune so private would be a bit dodgy for me!

I'd try giving them a bell emails ain't fireproof.

I tend to agree that the U900 is nice piece of kit. The problem they have is that the space in the cab is very limited to the point that they have little or no footwell in the passenger side! I can sit in one fairly easily (but not comfortably) but it's not ideal for taller people. The guy I work with is 6'3" so I doubt he'd be too happy about it!

The U1000 cab is much better. Plenty of space, seats three at less of a push than a Land Rover and is generally just a lot more roomy inside. Then there's the newer 8 speed gearbox which seems a lot nicer to use than the 6 speed of the older models. In the old trucks you can only reverse in 1st/2nd and those gears are very low and gated off from the other 4. With the 8 speed you can reverse all of them I think?

Edited by njc110381