Shooting Hares

SSS

Stupid beginner question which I should know by now, but any way, here goes.

Having never shot hares before, do they have a season?

I know they can't be lamped, but I am a bit confused about when they can be shot.

Could someone please enlighten me.

Tin hat is ready just incase.

All the very best,

SSS :blush:

Hares can be a bit emotive. Generally they're not as destructive as rabbits (usually because they don't co-exist in the same sort of numbers) so they can rarely be classed as vermin.

Therefore indiscriminate shooting of them would be considered poor practice by many shooters. I have shot Hare in the past but only on pasture where they are plentiful and I'm taking them for the pot. I wouldn't shoot them this time of year though.

Tough old things, I'd never use anything smaller than a rimfire on them but for the pot (lots of meat on them) they're good if a little strong in flavour for some people. I tend to always soak mine in salt water to draw the blood out and that smooths the flavour out a bit as well.

personally I wouldn't shoot them now but generally restrict shooting them to during and just after the game season because then they get a chance to breed and of course it depends how many there are about. I was on a couple of hare days near me and we had 800 in 2 days, we've a lot about and that number do a fair amount of damage. Obviously this many go off to the dealers but other areas I'll take the odd one for personal consumption and thats about it

Guest cookoff013
Hi,

Never mind the tin hat, you'll need ear plugs and defenders if you ever wound one and even then you may well never shoot another.

Cheers

+1

36g #2s and 36g#4s are just the ticket. maybe bigger. they are a real strong target. very fast and they do take some knocking down.

number 6 can be used. but preferably something more adequate is always recommended. you can even use 1`s and bbs (but dont use that as an excuse to shoot further)

they weigh abit, so large shotsze is justifiable.

the shells are out there, get some. you wont regret it

I would use my .22lr, but I have to have the condition added beforehand.

I spoke to BASC today and they couldn't give me a definitive answer.

I shall just have to keep my eye out in the daylight.

What would be the recomended time of the year to shoot them?

All the best,

SSS :good:

I used to shoot one or two a year for the pot they are thin on the ground hereabouts* so more would be

unsustainable and always during the pheasant season to avoid leaving leverets to fend for theirselves.

Rather depends on the ground you shoot I walked them up with the aid of my spaniels on rough moorland

if you are shooting on large arable field then a rifle is probably a better choice.