syndicate in south northimberland

hi

we still have a couple of places available

i have just joined a new syndicate which has 500 acres in the broomhill area. it is arable farm land with a mixture of crops and there are 10 small woods spread over it.i was speaking to the previous gamekeeper this morning and he tells me they usually put down pheasants and partridges but they shoot lots more partridges than they put down as well as geese which come onto the stubble.there is as much pigeon and rabbit shooting as you want the farmer hates them and wants them all dealt with.

the new gamekeeper/shoot captain has asked me to see if anyone on the forum might be interested in joining.

the cost for the year will be £350 plus once a season sorting out refreshments for the beaters probably cost less than £20.

there will be at least 6 work days and a couple of clay days with bbq in the summer.

please pm me for any further details or i can give you my no. if you want to chat.

the shoot captain would prefer guns with dogs but dont let that put you off places will not be based solely on that and it is not first come first served.

guns must be fully insured through any of the recognised organisations

disclaimer

i will have no say in the final decision as to who is offered a place and who isnt

thanks

len

Bit of a funny one here!

I contacted the 'gun skipper' to express my interest when the first ad was placed (early feb I think), he called me on a saturday and said there was "one place left but someone was coming up for a look that day, if he did not want the place he would call me back." I did not get any call back.

Since then I know of 2 Possibly 3 people who have joined this syndicate with more places. Having had my fingers burnt before (to the sum of £600 I would make sure you get enough details to make sure your happy with everything before you hand over any cash). It seems unusual that its all new guns in the syndicate but the 'previous keeper' is in contact with people.

Bit of a funny one here!

I contacted the 'gun skipper' to express my interest when the first ad was placed (early feb I think), he called me on a saturday and said there was "one place left but someone was coming up for a look that day, if he did not want the place he would call me back." I did not get any call back.

Since then I know of 2 Possibly 3 people who have joined this syndicate with more places. Having had my fingers burnt before (to the sum of £600 I would make sure you get enough details to make sure your happy with everything before you hand over any cash). It seems unusual that its all new guns in the syndicate but the 'previous keeper' is in contact with people.

we did have all the places filled but then some of the guys changed their mind or couldnt sort out the money. so we still have a couple of places. i am not sure what you mean by the previous keeper is in contact with people.

i dont know why the shoot captain didnt call you back but it is his descion as to who he invites to join the syndicate. i think it is wrong that you should cast doubts as to the integrity of the shoot captain just because you werent invited to join the syndicate.

if anyone has any doubts i can put them in touch with members of PW and they can tell you if they feel anything has been hidden from them or they have been misled in anyway.

Edited by cap1len

Cap1len,

I do not have a problem with you or the shoot. Just strange I was told I could have a place (the last 1 4 + weeks ago) if another guy did not want it, but no call, maybe I asked too many details on the phone.

With reference to the previous keeper you quoted you had spoken to him / her. Maybe you should change your post from 'Usually put down.........' to 'the syndicate is releasing XYZ'.

Can I suggest if you plan to hand your cash over to someone you have just met for a DIY syndicate -

1. Ask for written plans for the coming season / meeting minutes. A verbal "we are going to put down a couple of hundred pheasants" is not enough.

2. Ask for financial breakdown from past seasons. It should be available, its other peoples money.

3. Ask to see bird order forms. Birds will mostly be ordered by now as they will be laying soon and game farms want deposits before then.

4. Speak to other exisitng members.

5. Pay by a personal cheque, it can be traced if needed.

6. Bag returns from previous season. (I have never met a keeper who does not keep these.)

(cap1len - I am sure you have been supplied with this info, just a suggestion to others)

Just some friendly PW advice.

Edited by markm

Can i point out that markm isnt trying to stir things here,

This is how our shoot is run, we know what is being spent on what ie birds, equipment and so forth down to the last penny.

We know exactly what has been shot in previous years

Its not 1 person deciding this, its all done at a meeting where everyone has a say.

Just thought i would mention it

shaun

thanks to both mark and shaun for their input.

i guess its like any other descion you make when it comes to spending time and money on something we all want information so we can make an informed descion.

as this is a new syndicate past information is not fully available. yes we have some info from the previous keeper and we know how many birds and the amount of feed that has been ordered and at the end of the season their will be a breakdown of all monies spent to the penny as it should be.

however i feel that this thread is being taken off track and would appreciate if people want to discuss the way that syndicates should be run that they start a thread on that subject

as i said at the start of this post many thanks to both mark and shaun for their input

len

• 2 weeks later...

it sounds like he out to cause trouble to anyone who dares to refuse him i bet they are well chuffed he's not part of the shoot and he should do his own house keeping first before sticking his nose in other shoots Business

sounds very much like sour grapes and very unprofessional

it sounds like he out to cause trouble to anyone who dares to refuse him i bet they are well chuffed he's not part of the shoot and he should do his own house keeping first before sticking his nose in other shoots Business

I think Mark offers some very good advice to anyone who is thinking of joining a syndicate. Perhaps its sited in the wrong place in this instant but never-the-less sound.

Missed123 - do you belong to a game syndicate?

I find your response quite funny.

Edited by markm

Just a few lines to close the thread all places have now being taken even after 3 guys changed their mind after reading this thread.

to all the PW members who did join i am looking forward to all of us having a good season.

i was up their yesterday doing a bit more work and then late yesterday got my first pigeon a good day all round. after being in a syndicate last year which turned out not to be able to deliver it's potential the more time i spend at the new shoot the better the feeling i have about it being a success.

thanks

len

Edited by cap1len

Just a few lines to close the thread all places have now being taken even after 3 guys changed their mind after reading this thread.

to all the PW members who did join i am looking forward to all of us having a good season.

i was up their yesterday doing a bit more work and then late yesterday got my first pigeon a good day all round. after being in a syndicate last year which turned out not to be able to deliver it's potential the more time i spend at the new shoot the better the feeling i have about it being a success.

thanks

len

Totally agree Len good bunch of lads from what ive met lots of potential, pigeon shooting and good crack, look forward to a good season