Newbie from the Cotswolds

nommo

Hi all,

I'm thinking of returning to shooting (with air rifle) after many, many years. I live in the middle of the country now, so why not :lol:

This all came about after getting a whippet and wanting to train him to take rabbits. Made me think about my youth before I mis-spent it :good:

I used to love being out on a mooch or a long shoot. Never owned my own gun though.

Anyway - now I am keeping my eyes open for a cheap 2nd hand air rifle to get practising on in between training the dog to 'fetch' :lol:

Any tips greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum nommo. You'll learn pretty much all you need to know here, there are some really knowledgable guys on the forum. Where abouts in the cotswolds are you roughly? You live in a good area to get shooting rights, there's loads of open country right on your doorstep!

Hey all - thanks for the welcomes :lol:

Welcome to the forum nommo. You'll learn pretty much all you need to know here, there are some really knowledgable guys on the forum. Where abouts in the cotswolds are you roughly? You live in a good area to get shooting rights, there's loads of open country right on your doorstep!

I am in between Ciren and Cheltenham - in the middle of loads of country estates, including the Bathurst estate :lol: I haven't asked anyone yet - but am starting the process of finding out who owns what and learning how to ask for permission is one of the reasons I joined up - as well as general tips, advice and pointers... possibly find some locals to show me the ropes..

I have already been on quite a few walks with the dog and have started to get the lay of the land, found a few warrens, stalked a few deer etc...

My main challenge right now is finding the disposable income to invest in a half-decent rifle though, now that my OH has granted me permission to own :good:

ETA: Just spotted your location njc! I work in Stroud...

Edited by nommo

a nother from the cotswolds welcome :good:

Hey bobby dazzler! Excellent to know I am not alone... any local tips you can pass on? Anywhere I could take my own (currently imaginary) rifle to practice on targets etc?

BTW - already got permission for an equestrian farm (owned by my parents in law) for me and my dawg. Their main pests are rats and deer though. It will be some time before I can help with the deer I imagine, but the rats are fair game. Mojo (my whippet) likes sniffing around the barn but he is too young to hunt still.

I haven't actually pounded the perimeters yet - maybe there are wabbits - just not seen trace of them yet.

Hello Christy, Blunderbuss,

Thanks for the welcome fellow Cotswoldians :lol:

Hey - I got my eyes on a Sandwell Fieldsport tuned BSA Lightning that was recently serviced includes a Simmon's Deerfield 3-9x50 scope, with Sportsmatch mounts. One careful owner, £160 +P&P - will this do me do you think?

Only thing I would need then is some pellets and a bag plus a target template to print out :oops:

The Lightning is quite a light rifle. Although they can be accurate if you know how to handle them I struggled to shoot mine well. I'd suggest something heavier myself like a HW80/97/77 or TX200. :oops:

Hiya njc - that's one of the reasons I am going for lightning... I am not well built (whippet physique you could say!), and am prone to get shoulder ache - so trying to pre-empt this by starting light... hopefully I can learn to be accurate with it over the summer ready for some vermin shooting later in the year..?

Fair enough. If you stick with it the Lightning is a great little rifle and a lot of people swear by them. I found mine hard to use because I got used to rimfire and centrefire rifles which are a great deal easier to shoot straight!

The price you've been quoted sounds reasonable. Is it .177 or .22? (I prefer .177 but wont start that. Everyone has their favourite).

Fair enough. If you stick with it the Lightning is a great little rifle and a lot of people swear by them. I found mine hard to use because I got used to rimfire and centrefire rifles which are a great deal easier to shoot straight!

The price you've been quoted sounds reasonable. Is it .177 or .22? (I prefer .177 but wont start that. Everyone has their favourite).

Cool :hmm: I am glad my reasoning made sense - as I picked it up this afternoon :D It's a .22 btw

The chap was sound - and said pretty much the same as you njc - he said it can be very hold sensitive (due to being light & carbine) and that if I don't get on with it - he said upgrade it to a HW95 - only a bit heavier but more accurate over bigger distances but if I can master this - I will be able to shoot anything. He used it for ratting mostly.

Anyway - it's in great condition, scope is nice, it's really smooth, nice trigger. But I haven't shot it yet :hmm: Garden not really suitable...

Tomorrow's shopping list includes a rifle slip/bag and permission to plink it somewhere locally! (My parents-in-laws farm is on the way to Swindon - so not really local!)

Cheers for the welcomes SSS & Verminator

Edited by nommo

Welcome, Im also from the Cotswolds.. know the Cirencester, Cheltenham, Burford, Stroud areas like the back of my hand.

You say between Cirencester/Cheltenham are we looking at North Cerney, Duntisbourne, Bagendon area.

Best of luck getting permission, many of the land owners in that area have maintained shoots so getting shooting rights will not be easy, Ive just got access to one of the Major Estates after nearly 30 years of trying!

However most in the area are pleasant people so dont be put off by a knock back or two.

Try Cirencester Golf Club, they always have a rabbit problem.

welcome nommo

we have a decent number of us round here now we will soon be taking the essex mafia on for numbers.

Good luck with the air rifle keep door knocking you will find permission not that hard to come by around the area especially if you are prepared to start off by rat shooting.

nick