Landi Defender

pavman

Thinking of fitting a Kenlow Fan to my Defender as I never seem to get enough heat to warm the cab or clear the screen unless I travel for more than 20 miles or so.

Any of you guys fitted one, and removed the normal fan belt ? is it easy to do and did you get a warm engine a lot quicker

advise please.

cheers pavman

i had a 90 defender with the 300tdi fitted ..the fan bearings went and they wanted £130 for a new one so i took it of and never bothered fitting one it was sound had more power never boiled over once as long as you keep moveing you dont need one in the winter months must have been off for neally two yrs now sold on and still going strong with out one ...i would look at you heater fan ??mind you they are **** heaters :beer:

hi Rob

Engine gets hot ok just takes an age so the cab heater has no heat to draw on till the engine warms up, 20 miles plus, mine is also a 90 with 300 TDI and with the rad fan running all the time its cooling from the off,

pavman

I fitted a kenlow to a 94 plate 2.7 td maverick and got rid of the belt driven viscous coupled fan. I also replaced the thermostat from a 84 to an 86 degree model and thoroughly flushed the cooling and heating system.

The difference was amazing not just in the heater operation but the vehicle warmed up a lot faster and was slightly more economical.

The fitting instructions supplied by kenlow were brilliant.

FM.

Pavman, I run without any fan at all and have done so for 18 months. I have hot air at the screen within 3 miles. I have also removed the plastic tunnel between the radiator and the engine. Having an efficient engine cooling fan will have no effect on the cab heater. Did you have fun getting the viscous coupling off :beer:

Regarding the heater, take off both pipes under the bonnet (rhs up by the bulkhead) and choose one pipe to flush the heater matrix out, this gets gummed up with cooling system corrosion (a result of people not flushing and changing the anti freeze every two years or 24k miles) you may need to buy a short bit of hose to attach to your garden hose.

DO NOT USE FULL WATER PRESSURE AT FIRST

You will see the results being flushed out and when its showing clear water, you can increase the flow rate, but gradually. Then you repeat the procedure on the other pipe, refill with 50/50 mix of quality antifreeze and DISTILLED water and bleed the system.

FM made a good point re the thermostat. If you get one that opens at a hotter temp it will aid the heating of the cab.

I hope that made some sense Pavman, if not give me a bell and I will talk you through it.

LB

If you fitted a Kelow fan to a Landrover Defender, wouldn't you immediately double its resale value ? ;):)

Cranfield,

whats your motive transport u cheeky monkey :beer::):lol:

pavman

LB will print this off, Re Did you have fun getting the viscous coupling off, I have not tried can I just take the drive belt off?

Hi, Pavman.

What engine is in yer landy?

200 and 300 Tdi's will run quite happily without a viscous fan...not sure about towing, though.

If you go to www.difflock.com and look in their online store you will find a spanner specially designed for viscous fan removal.

They are about a fiver.

If you live anywhere near Cannock you can borrow mine.

Attn - Sir Lord Dr Diesel

Advice please for my L/R 110

Yesterday while towing a cattle trailer full of beaters, guns and dogs, heard terrible noises from the transmission. :lol:

So today had a look and found one of U/J's on front prop knackered.

Decided to remove the front prop, nighmare access to the bolts and nuts, grinding machine to the rescue, it is now off.

Now drives much quieter on 2-wheel-drive with diff-lock engaged.

My question - is is there any long term risk of damage by driving in this way, 'til I can get the U/J replaced.

WF

If you live anywhere near Cannock you can borrow mine.

Y P

Kind offer, thanks

I just got the 88 c thermostat to fit later, with the dark nights and long work hours its getting the time to keep up with all the jobs mrs pavman seems to find for me, let alone my own projects :D

WF, as pop rightly says no damage will be done to transfer box although you may miss the extra drive from the front. The nuts on the propshaft are best undone with a 12 point 9/16 ringspanner. You can hold the prop with a hardened steel punch (approx 10mm in diameter) pushed into the gap on the U.J. to stop it turning. The Land Rover U.J.s are far superior to aftermarket ones and always come with grease nipples.

Remember to fit new nylocs as they WILL become loose in time if reused.

LB

Pop and LB

Thanks for your advice, I got my local farm store to supply and fit the new L/R U/J (with nipple) as I could see that being another nightmare.

I put the prop back on this afternoon (with new nylocks) as I am off on another long trip tomorrow. She now runs as quiet as I have ever known her, the U/J must have been on its way out for many months. Gonna make sure they are all kept greased-up from now on.

Going to do the fanny thing when I get some time.

Quick question, is it a catch 22 situation - can't get the cowling off with the fan on, can't get the fan off with the cowling on, how do you do it, or am I missing something.

WF