Dyed easter eggs

Blackpowder

Hi Shuck, I thought you were winding me up on April 1st that you had never heard of dyed easter eggs. It was a strong tradition for us wartime kids, the easter eagg usually hens or ducks was dyed using something like onion skins to make a fancy pattern as they were being hard boiled. It could be quite an art form some mothers tying the eggs in lace, or binding primroses to the eggs with non fast dyed cloth. These hard boiled eggs were rolled on Easter Monday, most villages and farms had a sloping grass field where this took place, once the eggs had been rolled and broken the first two or three were consumed with extreme gusto until the novelty wore of. Sometimes known as , "pace eggs" about here the rolling was supposed to signify the rolling aside of the boulders sealing Christ's tomb, or so we were told at school. Yes eventually Blackpowder did get his chocolate egg most likely sometime in the early 1950s, but never as a nipper as there simple were none.

Regards Blackpowder

Nor have I mate, at damn near 60 years old the wife won't let me "play with my food" any more, mind you I still cut my toast into soldiers and line them up on the plate when I have soft boiled eggs for brekkies!

Edit: Thanks for that snippet of information Blackpowder (You really are showing your age now). I wasn't aware that they used onion skins and things like that to dye them with.

There you go guys, you learn something new every day from us "Old Fogies"! :lol:

Edited by Frenchieboy

Yes, every year we go out and pick a handful of yellow flowers from the gorse [furze] bushes and add them to the boiling water when cooking boiled eggs for Easter Day breakfast - it makes the shells go yellow but it is not so effective now that most eggs have brown rather than white shells.

Which reminds of the saying that my late mother quoted "when gorse is not flowering, kissing is out of fashion". Thankfully gorse round here seems to be in flower all the time!

Yea thanks for the bit of folk history BP :shoot: its a pity we've lost that community spirit too regarding the egg rolling ceremony..

Looks like its just Cosd who carries on the legacy, do you do it still BP?

No family is grown up and no grandchildren so it is very much a thing of the past for me at the moment. Speaking to a friend the other day and he was recalling when his children were young, mainly about how variable Eastrer weather could be ,as they had rolled their eggs in everything from hail showers to suffering the effect s of sunburn.

Blackpowder