Dog fox and lamb last night

garygreengrass

Had a phone call from one of the farms I shoot yesterday that he is missing some lambs, when up last night and saw one pair of eyes out across the valley which I estimated at about 150-160 yards, got out of my discovery set the rifle up on the bonnet with the bipod switched on the lamp (scope mounted light force 140 with red filter) put the cross hair right between the eyes and squeezed the trigger, I could hear the bullet making impact and lights out.

Went up today with my range finder to check the range and move the fox out of the way, It turned out to be 175 yards and a head shot ( well pleased with that shot ) but next to the fox was a lamb with puncher marks in the head looks like I had the offender a nice big dog fox.post-21386-1270858425.jpg

Good shooting mate!!!! I thing the fact that the lamb had puncture marks for the foxes teeth was perfect justification for Charlie's demise! No matter if he killed it or was just hauling it away after finding it dead the point is that he has obviously started getting a liking for a bit of "fresh lamb" is perfectly good enough justification for shooting him!

P.s. A perfectly good head shot on a fox at 175 yards, that really is excellent shooting mate, well done! :no::good::hmm:

:no::hmm::good::good::good::good::oops::P:good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good: another one sent to hell

Thats a bit harsh, its an animal!

Good shooting though chap, my first load of lambs will be going out today, touch wood up to know we have had no problems with fox killing them, but if they start paying an interest I'll have to go and see what I can do.

Well done mate. isnt that lamb a tad big for a fox to kill?? don't really know but have only heard of them taking really young lambs i.e. very small. maybe it was dead and he picked it up?? either way that fox had a taste for lamb and you have stopped it, good shot.

I took the photo with my phone but the lamb does look as big as the fox as the lamb was a new born must be me **** at takeing photos and a cheap phone?

Was out lamping myself last night, lamped the field and could see the sheep altogether but down in the corner of the field was a closer set pair of eyes. Tried to squeal him in but held have a look and turn away again. Tried to out flank the craft ******, got only a fleeting glance of him and sure enough it was a fox but he disappeared over the crest of the hill. We did manage to get another fox earlier.

yep once they taste the blood they'll keep coming back for more just like the do with chickens being a stockman i'd say it died in the field and he was cleaning up the mess doubt he would have killed it unless he was real aggressive but who knows fact is caught red handed and paid the price good ridence lol

yep once they taste the blood they'll keep coming back for more just like the do with chickens being a stockman i'd say it died in the field and he was cleaning up the mess doubt he would have killed it unless he was real aggressive but who knows fact is caught red handed and paid the price good ridence lol

This is a very good point and like Jimmy says the lamb quite likely did die in the field but the fact that it had Charlie's teeth marks on it shows that Charlie was happy to set about it and that he has the potential to become a "Lamb Taker" and as such he is a danger to the farmer and "had to go". As has been said, he was caught red handed and paid the price!