Flyers while zeroing?

OK Guys, I have something that is causing me a bit of concern that I would welcome some thoughts/advice on.It seems that jest about every time I go out for a bit of target practice or to check the zeroing on my 17HMR I have the same problem. I can often get a "clover leaf" with 4 out of 5 shots at 100 yards (Prone and Off The Bipod) but I almost always get one out of a group of 5 that goes a bit "wild" and hits the target something like 3/4 to 1 inch off the rest of the shots. This 1 "wild" shot is driving me mad as I am constantly looking for that illusive perfect 5 shot clover leaf but can't quite manage it!

I am fully aware of "Breath Control" and practise it while shooting as much as possible and I am also aware that the wind can make a difference with a 17HMR at 100 yards but the wind very rarely changes while I am zeroing. I do not think that I change anything about my shooting style for that one odd shot either, but I surpose that it is possible to do that without realising it! Maybe I should add that I always use the same ammunition - Remington Premier 17gr with my HMR and that it is usually the last of the 5 shots that goes a bit "wild".

Any thoughts or suggestions that might help to minimise or eliminate this "problem" please? :no:

just a thought.

when it comes to the 5th shot,remove the mag and hand feed the 5th shot in,it may be the way the mag is feeding the last shot,if not it will eleminate this possible cause.

try a few times to make sure it is not the mag.

al

Edited by albob

just a thought.

when it comes to the 5th shot,remove the mag and hand feed the 5th shot in,it may be the way the mag is feeding the last shot,if not it will eleminate this possible cause.

try a few times to make sure it is not the mag.

al

when zeroing mine ive just been feeding the rounds in singly anyway, though leave the empty mag in incase you drop them and have to go hunting. it should eliminate any problems associated with the magazine feed right from the start :no:

OK Guys, I have something that is causing me a bit of concern that I would welcome some thoughts/advice on.It seems that jest about every time I go out for a bit of target practice or to check the zeroing on my 17HMR I have the same problem. I can often get a "clover leaf" with 4 out of 5 shots at 100 yards (Prone and Off The Bipod) but I almost always get one out of a group of 5 that goes a bit "wild" and hits the target something like 3/4 to 1 inch off the rest of the shots. This 1 "wild" shot is driving me mad as I am constantly looking for that illusive perfect 5 shot clover leaf but can't quite manage it!

I am fully aware of "Breath Control" and practise it while shooting as much as possible and I am also aware that the wind can make a difference with a 17HMR at 100 yards but the wind very rarely changes while I am zeroing. I do not think that I change anything about my shooting style for that one odd shot either, but I surpose that it is possible to do that without realising it! Maybe I should add that I always use the same ammunition - Remington Premier 17gr with my HMR and that it is usually the last of the 5 shots that goes a bit "wild".

Any thoughts or suggestions that might help to minimise or eliminate this "problem" please? :no:

Hell, who knows, but I suspect you may have already mentioned the answer...you are not relaxed, you are expecting it to go wrong and wanting it not to...stress!!!

:hmm::good::good:

I just don't see this odd one is the ammo or rifle, I suspect it is user...but who really knows??

Edited by Dekers

Thanks for the few pieces of advice guys.

I do not bother giving the barrel time to cool down when zeroing as I only take 5 shots at a time and then it takes me 5 minutes or more to get to my target to check it (I'm not as young and quick over 100 yards and back as some of you whipper snappers you know!) and then another few minutes to make any adjustments needed, so I am not sure that the barrel temperautre comes into the equasion, especially as I have the heavy "Varmint" barrel on my CZ 452 but it is certainly worth my while thinking about.

Just to give you an idea of what I am finding here is a target that I shot yesterday evening. To help to put it into perspective the centre "Bullseye" is exactly 20mm diameter! I have to agree that out in the field all 5 of these shots would have been clean head shot kills on rabbits but I do try to aim for perfection, (No pun intended) particularly when I am out just getting some target practice. Most of my targets end up like this one at 100 yards, whereas I can very occasionally get a target like the second one pictured, where the centre "Bulleseye" is 30mm diameter!

post-17172-1270896092.jpg

post-17172-1270896448.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

I think you would be unlucky to have the 'bad' round as the 5th each time if it was just the factory ammo. It is pobabley stress trying to get it perfect the is subconsiously putting you off.

Or

To the fliers normally go to a set side ie 1inch left of the group, if so it could be the butt slipping in the shoulder or similar.