Including Ammo on FAC

A quick question regarding listing what ammo and amounts to be listed on the FAC before I send it away.

Do you have to specify expanding ammo on the application? If you don't does this prevent you having this type of ammo?

No, if its for vermin and not target shooting it should be expected that you will use expanding ammunition. Don't worry, once sent away it will be clarified at interview, otherwise give your firearms licensing dept a ring and ask mate.

if you want it you have to request it on your application otherwise it will not be on your ticket and no rfd will sell you it unless it is

Frank

Thats interesting Frank, I was told that it would be a given by my FEO (Leicestershire).

Standardisation issues again.

I'm putting in for .17HMR store 350 buy 300 & .223 store 250 buy 200.

I'll write in next to the amounts expanding Ammo. if that what I need to do? Hopefully I'll be sending it off Tuesday.

Obviously this is me being a bit pedantic, but you should want a number which is divisible by 20 for buying/storing centrefire ammo, as they mainly come in boxes of 20.

...Saying that, you'll have to fork out one hell of a lot of money to fill that quota, unless you're going to reload.

Likewise, if you're seriously planning on spending a lot on ammo, you'll get a discount if you buy a block of 500 HMR rounds. (Probably about £120)

kyska

granted things have changed since 1997 when I retired, but the law hasnt and it was a requirement which my mob were very keen on when I was a feo

frank

Your knowledge is more than mine Frank, I know I didn't ask for expanding on my cert, but was discussed at interview, so maybe thats it, you guys know the biz...maybe I was advised at interview?

I put in buy 500 and keep 600 hmr, but again that was advised by my FEO.

Thanks Guys, just altered my application now applying for, 17HMR 550 store 500 buy (hoprfully for some good prices) .223, 240 to store and 200 to buy. But possibly in the future I will look to reloading myself. I have also written "Expanding" next to each. Hopefully that should cover it, and in the post it can go tomorrow :blink:

No, if its for vermin and not target shooting it should be expected that you will use expanding ammunition. Don't worry, once sent away it will be clarified at interview, otherwise give your firearms licensing dept a ring and ask mate.

mine was the same(i do not target shoot) and i never asked for expanding and it was automatically and noted that they were for vermin and so expanding was given on my ticket.

think common sense plays a big part.

al

thats fine if you want to do it, but it depends on your police force area and their procedures, ours was stringent when it came to firearms and you were required to state exactly what you wanted, and if it wasnt on the application and you forgot to mention it at interview, you did not get it.

you can take the chance if you want but if you get gabbing at the inetrview and forget it, or you rely on your feo to ask you that is taking a big chance and you dont take chances, if you want it put it in the application dont rely on bad advice from others.

Frank

thats fine if you want to do it, but it depends on your police force area and their procedures, ours was stringent when it came to firearms and you were required to state exactly what you wanted, and if it wasnt on the application and you forgot to mention it at interview, you did not get it.

you can take the chance if you want but if you get gabbing at the inetrview and forget it, or you rely on your feo to ask you that is taking a big chance and you dont take chances, if you want it put it in the application dont rely on bad advice from others.

Frank

that is part of the interview,to help if anything needs to be added(this has been done for ammo/rifles and mods),not just for character checking etc.

you are making it sound like my feo was wrong and i should know all about fac application and to be honest,i`m glad i got him and not you,as he was very helpful and a credit to his profession.

i`m helping like others do,my advice was fine and i was not aiming to give bad advice ,as you seem to suggest.

common sense seems to have passed you.

al

that is part of the interview,to help if anything needs to be added(this has been done for ammo/rifles and mods),not just for character checking etc.

you are making it sound like my feo was wrong and i should know all about fac application and to be honest,i`m glad i got him and not you,as he was very helpful and a credit to his profession.

i`m helping like others do,my advice was fine and i was not aiming to give bad advice ,as you seem to suggest.

common sense seems to have passed you.

al

Thats fine mate you obviously didnt read it properly, I said things can and do go wrong in interviews. the applicant can be flustered because it is a big occasion for him so it is best not to take the chance, the feo can not be expected to think of everything for you and in the final analysis it is your ticket, I have loads of common sense how dare you judge me , you dont know me, I have helped through hundreds of applications, and I leaned over backwards to help applicants because I was a sportsman and tried to help others like me, because if they are applying for a fac or sgc they usually are decent people and I give them the courtesy of treating them accordingly, I am still in contact with people I helped through the process, and they would put you straight on your ill informed oppinion of me.

There are some things you dont take chances with, just talk to BASC and ask them how many applications go PEAR SHAPED, I gave sound FREE advice but there is allways someone who knows better, I will leave the advice up to you in future you are obviously the expert and this forum obviously does not need my help

Thats fine mate you obviously didnt read it properly, I said things can and do go wrong in interviews. the applicant can be flustered because it is a big occasion for him so it is best not to take the chance, the feo can not be expected to think of everything for you and in the final analysis it is your ticket, I have loads of common sense how dare you judge me , you dont know me, I have helped through hundreds of applications, and I leaned over backwards to help applicants because I was a sportsman and tried to help others like me, because if they are applying for a fac or sgc they usually are decent people and I give them the courtesy of treating them accordingly, I am still in contact with people I helped through the process, and they would put you straight on your ill informed oppinion of me.

There are some things you dont take chances with, just talk to BASC and ask them how many applications go PEAR SHAPED, I gave sound FREE advice but there is allways someone who knows better, I will leave the advice up to you in future you are obviously the expert and this forum obviously does not need my help

if you think i`,m judging you,you are mistaken,i was talking about your attitude to applicants.read back and judge yourself on it and i have no intention of falling out over it.i will apologise if i`m wrong but,you may have missed something from what i said.

none of us are experts and never will be,no matter what we think we know,also the final say is not ours to make and i can only offer my own experience with my feo,something which others may like to know,not just about get it right or else attitude.

as you have said things do not always go to plan and things are forgotton,so the interview can help in this matter which is what i have put forward.

bullets are a necesity for the application and something that comes up every time,type/allowance are the main ones.

as for knowing better,nope i never have said it and never will and will only give advice based on my own experience and will continue to do so.

you do not have to sing your praises to me,as i applaud anyone that helps others.

have a nice day.

al

ALSO ITS WORTH NOTING THAT IF U RELOAD,WEN U BUY EXPANDING HEADS ALTHOUGH UVE NOT PUT IT ONTO A CASE WITH POWDER AND PRIMER ,AS IT STANDS ALONE IN THE BAG WITH ALL URE OTHER HEADS IT COUNTS AS A MADE UP ROUND,MANY HAVE BEEN CAUGHT OUT THIS WAY.........

I dont think thats quite correct mate.

I dont think thats quite correct mate.

Ammunition is not ammunition and does not count towards your purchasing allowance or holding allowance untill all components have come together, i.e. case, primer, propellant & projectile..... So.... if you had in your possession 2,000 primers, 3,000 brass cases, 1,500 bullets and 2KG of propellant but only 1 made up round, you are holding 1 round of ammunition.

Unless........................... we are dealing with section 5 prohibited stuff in which case each expanding projectile is classed as 1 round of ammunition in it's own right, made up or otherwise.

Ammunition is not ammunition and does not count towards your purchasing allowance or holding allowance untill all components have come together, i.e. case, primer, propellant & projectile..... So.... if you had in your possession 2,000 primers, 3,000 brass cases, 1,500 bullets and 2KG of propellant but only 1 made up round, you are holding 1 round of ammunition.

Unless........................... we are dealing with section 5 prohibited stuff in which case each expanding projectile is classed as 1 round of ammunition in it's own right, made up or otherwise.

Or they are expanding heads, then they do.

Or at least that is my understanding of it all.