Chasis Jigging

fortune82

One for the mechanics I think.

On Sunday a rather dosy driver whacked into the back of my Grand Vitara at around 45 MPH. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt even though her car folded up like paper!

On first inspection my car looked ok, just bumper damage. However further investigation has revealed the tow bar bracket has been moved back about 1 inch. There are uneven gaps on the back passenger side door. The chasis also looks like it has bent downwards at the back of the car and the rear wheel arch has closed up by several inches.

A mechanic mate has had a look before it goes to the repair shop tomorrow and he reckons it can be fixed. The question is does having your chasis jigged weaken the car? When I come to trade in do I have to tell the garage it has been involved in a crash of this size?

Thanks for the help!

The problem is all the damage info will be logged by the insurers when they do the work. This may not affect you in the slightest, but when you do come to sell it, all a person has to do is an HPI check and it'll show up.

My daughter sold her 1st car some years ago, she originally wanted to trade it in against a nearly new fiesta, ford did an HPI check and it came back as a cat4 write off, now it doesn't take much to fix one of these up, but it messed up my daughters plans as they only offered £300 on her car that she paid £1200 for 6 months earlier.

good luck sorting it out.

firstly what year is your vitara

i work in a very large body shop (panel beater ) :blush:

roughly speaking if the repair cost are 75 percent of the cost of the car it could be a total loss and it all depends on how the chassis legs are bent as to how they fix it .if there badly kinked they may replace them (more cost) but to answer your question no putting it on a jig will not weaken the legs as they are pulled straight then cut off and replaced in most instances but they can be pulled and still be very strong even if not replaced as for hpi you just have to live with it sorry hope this helps :good::yes::yes: at worst you could be looking at new rear boot floor(prob repair tho , back panel ,new leg section or sections , tow bars are a car killer in rear end shunts hope this helps :hmm:

Edited by cocker3

Only after my claim when some oaf drove under my Land Rover did I find out that it's possible to claim for loss of residual value as un-insured losses, so I've been told. I didn't know about this so never tried it, nothing to lose by claiming. :blush:

If the Insurance Company repair it - it will not be recorded on HPI :lol: It will be logged on their internal database but should not affect the vehicles residual value. If the car needs to go on a car bench/jig to fix it :sly: - leave it up to the insurance co :rolleyes:

personally I reckon you won't be getting it back and probably for the best, though its meant to be repairable chasis damage is best off letting it go as scrap or salvage. It'll be a costly repair if its enough to affect the rear doors so start looking for a new one!

Thanks for the replies! The car is a 55 reg and my mechanic mate has put a rough estimate of about £3000 on the repairs. Its off to the insurnace company body shop tomorrow anyway!

As a bonus the hire car they have given me is a BMW 318 d M Sport!! Goes like **** off a shovel but does look a bit of a pimps car!

As long as the car is repaired at a good garage, any repair work should put the car back to it's original state. No repair should ever be made where the cars structure is compromised, therefore chassis repair or replacement will not make the car weaker. Any damage is repairable, the deciding factor whether or not a car is written off is the cost of repairs against the cost of replacing the car.

Dodgy garages are what makes cars structures weaker, not the actual repairs.

the only good thing about a landrover series 3 is it won't bend if someone runs in the back of it :lol::sly:

Series 2 actaualy, and as my user name V8 :rolleyes:

Let me fix a chain to the back of you Vitara and to the back of my landy and I will pull your chassis out straight

Edited by V8landy

Series 2 actaualy, and as my user name V8 :rolleyes:

Let me fix a chain to the back of you Vitara and to the back of my landy and I will pull your chassis out straight

Thanks for the offer but think Ill let the body shop do it!! I was actually surprised at the lack of superficial damage to my car as the other one folded up like a paper bag!

Edited by fortune82