17 gm v 20 gm for .17hmr

OK may be a dumb question, but I have always used 17 gm v shock in my hmr, would it be worth trying the 20gm, I havnt seen anything on here about the two weights,

what benefits / downsides are there to the heavier bullet in a .17 hmr, I am guessing it is not going to go as fast but will stilll be super sonic

doc

OK may be a dumb question, but I have always used 17 gm v shock in my hmr, would it be worth trying the 20gm, I havnt seen anything on here about the two weights,

what benefits / downsides are there to the heavier bullet in a .17 hmr, I am guessing it is not going to go as fast but will stilll be super sonic

doc

I prefer the 20 grain hollow points but Im sure general concensus will be with the 17 Grainers - 20 grain apparently like to bounce more than the 17 grain - I have had none ricochet but cant compare with the 17 grainers because i havent used them a lot. I would have thought the 20 grainers would be a little less affected by wind though.

To answer your question - deffinitely worth trying IMO

Hi Doc ,

Iv been curious to try the 20grn to but to date havent as what iv read about them is: They dont group aswell as the 17grn & They dont expand the well if at all on bunnys and some times charles to !

I will get round to trying some one day but for now will use the 17grn batch that I have currently. :good:

I would thoroughly recommend you tried a box.

The whole ballistics of them are different, as far as I am aware their is no 20g ballistic tip HMR, whatever, their performance and use are different to the 17g.

Mine hated the 20g when the gun was new but they work well now, (even though the vast majority of my use is 17g V-Max). The 20g also fly about 1" higher than the 17g in mine as well! :good::lol:

Doc buy a box by all means but they aren't the ideal small prey bullet and I hate their use on foxes as you get runners,

simply put they don't expand even on foxes so go straight through leaving a very small hole rather than the Vmax which often doesn't exit the animal so all its energy is released onto the quarry. I shot two foxes with them and both ran on chest shots, picked both because I had the dog and they were dead but small holes through the boiler room don't stop foxes fast. Rabbits wise they are ok on head shots but if you chest shoot them you get the same deal not what the gun does best. Obviously some like them because they do less damage but I prefer more damage and a very humane kill especially on rabbits most of the meat is at the back end so i just discard the front

Al4x ,

Did you try the 20grn on charles as head shots ?

Iv taken 5 with my HMR last year and all were 50 yards or under and head shot between the eyes or side on as I didnt want to take any chances of not getting a clean kill this was was using the 17grn. I wonder if the 20grn would work better if it is put through the skull to get better expansion :good:

I bought a spare box off a fellow PW'er last year and still have most of it left, i found they didn't group quite as well as the 17gn (and above, which was a surprise with a heavier bullet) and that unless you go for a head shot every time you have a chance of runners, even with rabbits, which means a potentially slow and painful death, making me uncomfortable using them again. I havent shot a fox with them, but since i would only ever try and take charlie with a head shot i shouldnt think a well placed round through the brain would make an awful lot of difference.

:unsure: I have tons of them that were given to me and will only use them for close range bunnies out of the landy.Why?

They drop off at around 130-40 yards, they give you runners on rabits so I chose to use them on closer range prey that I can gaurentee headshots on.

I would defo not use them on foxes unless I could guarentee and close range heashot, I shot one on the engine room 3 times at less than 40 yards before shooting it in the head to finish it off, humane? NAH!!!

Richochets, had one go through a fox and hit a metal fence some 100 yards behind it!!! Naughty!!! Safe backstop but unexpected.

Stick to ballistics would be my advice...never had a runner....except the ones I missed!!! :hmm: