Had a lesson

sitsinhedges

Well after a few months of frustration and the fear that I'd spent a lot of money on guns that didn't suit me I had a lesson today.

Seems that my guns fit just fine but I wasn't holding them as I should, too little grip, too far forward on the fore end and using the left hand as a pivot when mounting rather than moving the whole gun into my shoulder.

I was also ambushing the clay, rushing to where I thought it was going to arrive.

I missed the first dozen maybe but once I connected it seemed that I could hit just about anything and hit it well too :hmm:

Just got to remember what I was told now, but to anyone else who is struggling I would recommend getting a lesson and get rid of all that frustration.

Might book another one now to consolidate what I learned today :blink:

Happy Days :yes:

Out of interest can I ask where you went? After starting back from a six year hiatuses I think I need the same. :yes:

Ta.

S.

I went to Kibworth near Market Harboro, but I reckon you are equally close to Sporting Targets at Riseley Nr Bedford.

The cost is £55-£60 per hour depending where you go, a bit painful but not as much as months of bad shooting :yes:

I went to Kibworth near Market Harboro, but I reckon you are equally close to Sporting Targets at Riseley Nr Bedford.

The cost is £55-£60 per hour depending where you go, a bit painful but not as much as months of bad shooting :yes:

How many clays is that for?

My lesson was £50.00 for 50 clays.

How many clays is that for?

My lesson was £50.00 for 50 clays.

As many as you get thru. My lesson started with checking gun fit and stance etc, obviously eating into the hour but I still managed to use about 3 boxes of my own cartridges.

If you get an Introduction To Clays lesson it is only £40 and includes a club gun, box or so of shells plus clays and safety equipment etc, kind of a loss leader I think.

I had a lesson last Friday at The Fennes (Braintree, Essex). Absolutely excellent and I couldn't believe how much it helpes me.

My main problem was how I was standing, the way I was holding the gun waiting for the clay and then how I actually mounted the gun. Once we got those sorted I was shooting well and relieved that over the last year I have actually learned a lot - it just wasn't showing as my starting positions were so poor!

A lesson with a good coach is worth every penny.

Cost was £55 for an hour, plus the clays and of course my cartridges.

Steve

Well I went out for the first time today after my lesson a week ago and managed to hit 42 out of 52 shots on a Sporting layout and some of the misses were distant loopers I wouldn't expect to hit anyway.

I only shot single birds so that I would have a chance to regain my shattered confidence but nevertheless I am quite pleased with that considering how awful my shooting was previously and not knowing exactly where the birds were coming from until the first shot on each stand, no 'seeing a bird'.

I would also suggest taking someone with you on your lesson because today my other half was able to tell me when I was holding the gun too high in my shoulder or not leaning into it enough etc because she had listened to the instructor and knew what I should be doing. When I did miss it helped me to understand why and not repeat it :blink: