Advice Please Shooting Corvids !!

Devonhunter

Hi all after abit of advice please , ive been asked by the local farmer to clear some crows that are snatching his corn that he has just laid , the thing is i dont have a shotgun and have never done corvid shooting before so i am using my sako quad .17 mach2 , i went out today about 12ish with a freshly shot rabbit opend up and placed in the field about 60 yards away with a couple of crow decoys and lied down and waited , the problem is the crows were attracted but they just wouldnt land what so ever not one !!

So what am i doing wrong and does anybody have some advice they could give me please to nail a few of these as will give it another ago this week .

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Devonhunter

Hi all after abit of advice please , ive been asked by the local farmer to clear some crows that are snatching his corn that he has just laid , the thing is i dont have a shotgun and have never done corvid shooting before so i am using my sako quad .17 mach2 , i went out today about 12ish with a freshly shot rabbit opend up and placed in the field about 60 yards away with a couple of crow decoys and lied down and waited , the problem is the crows were attracted but they just wouldnt land what so ever not one !!

So what am i doing wrong and does anybody have some advice they could give me please to nail a few of these as will give it another ago this week .

Thanks in advance.

At this time of year they will be more likely to challenge and attack the intruders than join them. What I would do is put an oil drum or branch near to the decoys, within ten yards, and placed so as you have a good back stop. The resident crows should land on the high perch to dominate the intruders.

At this time of year they will be more likely to challenge and attack the intruders than join them. What I would do is put an oil drum or branch near to the decoys, within ten yards, and placed so as you have a good back stop. The resident crows should land on the high perch to dominate the intruders.

Just happens to be aload of oil drums down there so will give that ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure they are crows? Much more likely to be jackdaws and rooks that are eating the drillings. I have to say a shotgun is really the tool you need for jackdaws and rooks. Unless around farm buildings or rookeries when an airifle can deliver good results. Incidently rookeries are where you will shoot a lot of rooks at this time of the year. Although it doesn't really protect the field at the moment, the farmer might be happy that you are reducing the population for later on in the year when the crops are ripening and come under attack.

The general advice for decoying rooks and jackdaws with a shotgun is often the most productive time is early morning, and construct a good hide. You do not need a slit rabbit for rooks and jackdaws in fact that is more than likely to put them off. All this said, as you have found their exceptional eyesight means that crows, rooks and jackdaws tend not to land amongst decoy patterns as readily as pigeons.

Are you sure they are crows? Much more likely to be jackdaws and rooks that are eating the drillings. I have to say a shotgun is really the tool you need for jackdaws and rooks. Unless around farm buildings or rookeries when an airifle can deliver good results. Incidently rookeries are where you will shoot a lot of rooks at this time of the year. Although it doesn't really protect the field at the moment, the farmer might be happy that you are reducing the population for later on in the year when the crops are ripening and come under attack.

The general advice for decoying rooks and jackdaws with a shotgun is often the most productive time is early morning, and construct a good hide. You do not need a slit rabbit for rooks and jackdaws in fact that is more than likely to put them off. All this said, as you have found their exceptional eyesight means that crows, rooks and jackdaws tend not to land amongst decoy patterns as readily as pigeons.

That makes a lot of sense, not my major area, but I was thinking along those lines!! ;)

Yes sorry they are rooks and jackdaws i just have a habit of calling them all crows , ive been watching them this morning from my place and there are loads of them landing in the field , as you have said already they have exceptional eyesight so leads me to the conclusion that they must be able to see me somehow .

• 3 weeks later...
Yep i think your right .

Where in Devon are you Hunter....Get a few mates set up in and around the said fields.Do you have any mates with a few shotguns??...Keeps them moving about...They do come for a look at a pattern.But you have to be patient..Dont blow ya load to early by moving in the hide..Wait till there right in range before standing for the shot......Jackdaws often arrive in pairs or fours....If you bring one down,quite often the others will circle round and have a look at whats happened to it....

Thats what ive seen anyway... ???:yes:

Edited by smig4373

I've just got a permission on a land fill site which is inundated with carrion crows, jackdaws and rooks. Its some of the best shooting ive ever had as they just keep coming (although i've only been at em twice due to work and other commitments). Hoping to get out and give em some hell with the semi tomorrow night. As everyone has already said, going at these really is a job for the shotgun, but nevertheless still possible with the air gun.

My only advice for you is just to reiterate how well these little bu**ers can see. I couldnt believe it. Even all camo clothed up with full face mask and gloves, the slightest movement and they were off. Even if i just moved getting ready to take the shot, they were off. When sat watching the birds to discover their flight line in the area, i could see them often changing their course of direction due to something they had seen, and that was when i was the only one in the field and a distance away from whatever had spooked them.

Keep trying as this is the time of year where you should see some good numbers.

ATB

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

One tip, Ian the Gun, told me when out shooting covids with him one day was, if you shoot a jackdaw place it on a pigeon floater so it looks like it is going to land in the pattern of decoys.

The other is you use spring sticks for the decoys to get movement.