HMR scope preferances

adam1

Yes I have had a search round:) But before i would even think of mentioning a short list ( quite a long short list:D ) I would like to ask what preferances you hmr users have in scope features.

I have always preferred a simple reticle and with such a flat round is there any benefit in the more fussy reticules, what do you use?

What is the minimum and maximum mag you use ? bearing in mind i'm all about bunny and bird bashing.

I once had an IR scope on my rapid and never used the feature, would I be more likley to on a hmr?

At the top end of my budget would be the Leupold vx1 3 x 9 x 40 or the Burris fullfield 3 x 9 x 40 although I hear the reticule is not ideally suited to low light on the vx1 or would I be better off going for a bigger objective on a "lesser" quality scope, I was just thinking the better quality lenses may well outperform the bigger objectives with lesser glass.

The others to have a think on would be

Bushnell Trophy 3-12 x 56

Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x50

MTC Mamba 4-16 x 50

Centerpoint 4-16 x 56

Nikko Sterling Platinum Nighteater 6-24 x 56

Simmons WTC 6.5-20 x 50

Please feel free to add any other suggestions of features or models I've not mentioned (I'm not a fan of Hawke scopes or the BSA sweet 17)

Thanks

Adam

I agree with EE about Hawke but not about WTC's, Hawke are massively underrated scopes. I bought a Varmint II off fleabay ages ago for under £40, stuck it on my springer and although I've been through loads of scopes since, I still have the Hawke (now on my FAC Air).

I did a low-light test with the Hawke alongside a 3.5-10x40 Whitetail Classic and an Aetec 2.8-10x44 and the Hawke was noticeably better. I have a 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic currently and tbh I don't rate it much either. It's currently on eBay to make way for a new Hawke Endurance 30 for my LR.

Out of your list I'd probably go for the Burris or more likely the Nikon, in fact very nearly did as Uttings and OpticsWarehouse had some deals on them but missed out on both.

OW do currently have a couple of Hawkes in their Offers section: Hawke Varmint II 8-32x44 and HAWKE MAP PRO 4-16x50

Edited by Colster

i had a Hawke Nite-Eye on my .17hmr when i first got it - too complicated a reticle, and the built quality wasn't great (the parralax distance ring fell off and it was always needing re-zeroing), though the optics were nice and clear. I've now got a Nikon Monarch on it, damn good scope and i can't really fault it.

I've not tried the Prostaff but i'm sure they're of Nikon's normal high quality (though i'd want a higher mag range for a .17hmr).

Hmm, this interests me, I have a Meopta artemis 7x50 2100 IR on my HMR and am now thinking I need a higher power mag, question is what do I do with the meopta? Its over £500 worth and the only gun I can put it on is the FAC rapid, I shoot at x7 all the time with the rapid anyway. Its such a high quality scope it seems a shame to not have it on a gun.

I have a .204 on the way, so I suppose it could go on there.

Might see what scopes are for sale for the hmr.

Leupold vx1 3 x 9 x 40 although I hear the reticule is not ideally suited to low light on the vx1

Thanks

Adam

Who told you that croque? i've had leupold before, now bought another one from "a bloody nice chap" on here, exceptional quality glass. Don't believe all you hear chap, try some out first. One word of advice tho, if you are going for anything sub £150 new then just get a hawke cos they're all about the same quality.

I've just fitted a Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16 X 50 on my 17HMR and to be honest even though it is a "budget" scope it does what it says on the packet and is quite sufficient for my needs!

How does it compare to other more expensive scope frenchie?

I ask as I'm still in contemplation to sell my glass, to replace it for something like above and to fund my shotgun buy, I'm just so torn what to do.

How does it compare to other more expensive scope frenchie?

I ask as I'm still in contemplation to sell my glass, to replace it for something like above and to fund my shotgun buy, I'm just so torn what to do.

I only fitted it and gave it it's first try yesterday so it's a bit early to be forming any opinions yet. I will say that I had no problems knocking over a 130 Yard rabbit with a head shot using it at dusk last night. I am hoping to do a bit of "long distance Rook Shooting" with it this afternoon and then try it on the lamp. I will be in a better position to give an opinion then! If you ask me in a weeks time I will be able answer you better!

Edited by Frenchieboy