Fox last night

joeainscow

Having posted a thread on the guns and equipment section yesterday regarding largish shot sizes with full chokes and if this effects patterns or indeed the shot itself i decided to find out firsthand. I took my trusty winchester SX2 with a full choke in and a hand full of RC50's in shot size 2. Since coming back home from university on wednesday i'd been baiting a couple different spots in the fields. I would love to say that i got this one at one of the baiting locations but that would be a lie.

What actually happened was rather less tactful. I had literally got 30 yards out of the yard and into the field when i felt my phone vibrating. I had a quick look and saw it was my mum. Normally i'd of just ignored the call and carried on with my shooting (my mum honestly has an endless list of jobs for me) but i decided to answer it and to my surprise my mum was whispering down the phone saying a fox was in the yard sniffing around the hoppers probably after rats? I honestly didn't know what to do. I obviously can't shoot it in the yard with the calf pens and tractors around. I decided to head to a large acorn tree by the side of the yard and start squeaking. I was expecting it to come out via the bottom gate but bold as brass he walked past the house, across the lawn and through the top gate. He was about 30 yards out and stood side on looking back into the yard. The safety was eased across silently and gun mounted slowly. The reassuring thump of the RC50 told me if i was on target the job was certainly done. All four legs gave at once and she didn't even twitch. I ended up with a beautifully coloured vixen :-) post-20522-1273340102.jpg

post-20522-1273340088.jpg

Hope she hasn't cubbed mate or they'll be starving to death! Cubs should be dealt with too.

Yeh totally agree that cubs shouldn't be made to starve. From the pic there looks to be too much fur on the belly; if she was suckling the teets would be pronounced and the belly bare.