Cats

fortune82

I have a 14 month old cocker who is doing really well training wise until he sees a cat. At this point he goes into a trance like state and forgets all else in the world. Does anyone else have this problem? How have you solved it if you have? Problem is no matter where I try to train one always seems to pop up!!

I too have that very same problem whenever a cat comes into MY garden. I go into a trance like state and forget all else. I am truly focussed though on where the water pistol full of urine is, where the shot putt is in relation to it and what my chances are of nailing the damn thing before it makes the hedgerow.

I tend to wait till the vermin starts to dump it's load, that seems to slow them down a bit, giving me more of a chance to make a connection with the little darling.

Do pass these tips onto you Cocker, as he may find them of some help.

When i was training my cocker not to chase rabbits , i started rolling a tennis ball passed him , followed by a sharp , "leave it " command. Then i used a rabbit pelt wrapped round a dummy, with the same command.

This " leave it " command works on everything i dont want him going near , which includes cats.

Hitman.

I too have that very same problem whenever a cat comes into MY garden. I go into a trance like state and forget all else. I am truly focussed though on where the water pistol full of urine is, where the shot putt is in relation to it and what my chances are of nailing the damn thing before it makes the hedgerow.

I tend to wait till the vermin starts to dump it's load, that seems to slow them down a bit, giving me more of a chance to make a connection with the little darling.

Do pass these tips onto you Cocker, as he may find them of some help.

:good::yes:

I too also go into this state. I think my dog's picked it up off me. ;)

i used to have a lurcher who killed foxes with ease sumtimes 3 in a nite sevral times a week and you wouldnt even know he had came in contact with a fox as he hadnt a mark on him but he had a run in with a big feral cat 1 nite and although it was a very dead cat the dog had certainly the marks left on him to show he had done battle with it

Edited by monkeyboots

Ha Ha!! The dog is steady as a rock with everything else. Just cats seem to make him forget everything else!!!! Anyone know of anyone with a cat pen?? Failing that anyone have a cat in yorkshire they dont mind lending for a bit of training!!! Might come back in a black bag mind!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rimotu66

Have to agree with Cranfield, keep it sensible guys. Personaly I cant stand the ruddy things, cant even stand them near me, for some reason I feel on edge if one trys to get close, dont know why? And am sick of the neighbours moggy coming in my garden and crapping where it likes and then it sits looking for the nests in the hedge.... <_<